The Corroboree
Auxin

Minty Korean Mint?

Question

Ok, so I grew "hyssop" seed and got something that looks nothing like hyssop :lol:

It looks exactly like Agastache rugosa tho.

However, A. rugosa is usually quoted as having an 'anisey' or 'licoricey' odor. When I mash this plant it just says MINT. I've been using it as mint in chutneys and mint vinegar, its nice.

Can Agastache rugosa smell like mint? Or is there something that looks almost exactly like it but smells like mint?

In a frantic pre-early-frost working spree I harvested its seed heads and I'm tormented by what I should write on the label :P

4 answers to this question

Ive always thought A. rugosa was the 'minty' one, and A. foeniculum was the 'aniseeedy' one.

*edit: I'm growing both.

Edited by LokStok

lol @ thread title.

Hmm, I may have found a clue as to why many sources cite it as anisey while a few cite it as minty alone (and freaking call it Korean Mint :lol: )

A tall narrow growing strong minty scented kissing cousin of Anise Hyssop... Can cross pollinate with Anise Hyssop and offspring will be anise scented.

As a more obscure herb in the west its probably mostly been spread by gardeners, many of whom likely also grew anise hyssop (A. foeniculum)

So I'll go with Lok and regard this as the real deal.

Right on B)

aha! nice sleuthing man.

I've had Anise hyssop on & off since the late 90's and always let it flower profusely but

the Korean mint is a fairly recent addition; in early last autumn, dormant over winter & now kicking

on- so hasn't flowered yet.

I will have to be carefull so as they dont hook up. :blush:

cheers for the tip