The Corroboree
fydesvindico

Juul's Giant??

Question

hey guys,

scored these for free off of a family friend.

they've barely got any spines, my first thought was maybe a scop, but they look too pach to be... now i'm thinkin juul's giant?

what do you guys think.

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jpg

Edited by fydesvindico
  • Like 5

This thread from the nook indicates that Juules is present in New Zealand.

I need to keep my eyes peeled now when people list pachanoi cuts on trademe haha

Apologies! you need a nook account to see the link.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

I'm getting this message when clicking on that link:

"An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in."

I'd love to take a look. Or did they mention what path it took from Juuls to NZ?

Thanks!

Sab doesn't make me login to see a thread but the nook required log in... just saying cause I got the exact same message til I logged in @ T

That is one beeeeautiful flower! I imagine its the size of a dinner plate!

I got bored and checked, apparently zee_werp was last active in 2009 there and 2011 here on sab... hope zee is okay!

Friggen beautiful plant.. looks alot like what ive seen advertised as Juuls but not the greatest close up shots

Edited by Spine Collector

I see now. That is being identified as Juuls Giant based on appearance.

The comments I made above are still valid thoughts. Juuls is a trade name created by Cactus Gems for their nursery stock rather than a varietal designation but its also from that pachanoi form which is not uncommon in parts of Peru so its perhaps a matter of hair splitting if a person wants to call something Juuls if its lacking lineage from Jim Daniel or Tom Juul. I tend to keep trade names for things I know the origins of rather than trying to match patterns in an area of plants that are largely variations of a central theme. And that is not to say Juuls and those plants shown at the Nook aren't the same species and form.

Learning to recognize plants by sight is far more important than their names. MANY great plants I've encountered were mislabelled or not labelled.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 3

Well yeah, eventhough the TJG is mostly known for Tom Juul, it must have had a life before that. Maybe it was brought into cultivation by Knize or some other Plant Trader who collected the Plant someplace in the wild.

But the term TJG refers to more than just a particular Habitus. For example, i think that the pupping Pattern of the TJG is pretty unique and i would definately not label similar plants TJG only based on their appearance. The Outcome would be that you wouldnt be able to tell the true TJG from the lookalikes even if they may be related. The names we use is mostly to track them down to their origin. Labeling a plant based on gut Feelings is pretty pointless as the general appearance is so variable. bye Eg

Good point EG.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but concerning the above images at the Nook does anyone know why I can access the Nook and view images/posts but my posts seem to vanish? There is a note saying a moderator needs to approve my first two posts so should I assume they were not approved or does it take a few days? I've been trying to learn more there but keep encountering error messages including one saying I can't make more posts (the next of which would be asking an administrator there this question)

Edited by trucha

I know that nexus has a thread that your supposed to post a first post/intro, perhaps there is something like this at the nook? I too just have an account to browse

Nook was the first forum of any type I ever joined.. I vaguely remember being wierded out by something like that at first, but tbh I wasn't even active there the first few months... Let me know if you have any issues still and i'll be happy to message an admin for you if its not allowing you to message... I just became active here the day I found this post actually and i couldn't look at profiles or pm that day but after cruising around a bit it opened up those features... Maybe its a precaution to prevent automated n00kers or sum shyte... little do they know, that I am an advanced form of hyper A.I. lol

Thanks, that is likely what is going on. Or at least its my guess.

There are spots that first posts are permitted but the first two posts don't display until after an administrator approves them. Maybe I'm just impatient, Its only been two days ago I made the first post and a day ago since the second post.

I'll be permitted to make another post by later this evening so I'll use it to ask this of an administrator or moderator assuming the first post still is not showing.

I was signed up there a few years ago but forgot my user name & password and used an email address that is long dead so have started over.

NZ Pachanoi could be a Juul's Giant

pics side by side ???

I got a NZ pachanoi and also got 3 seedlings scop X juuls or vice versa

should be interesting....

Spine collector-

Its been a bit strange. The Nook let me sign up but there is something there that seems to not like me.

I can log on successfully and view things just fine but my, now three, posts seem to have vanished.

I was curious about how long it would take for an adminstrator to view a new post and if my experience was normal so I signed up using a different name. The first post that was made from that user name was approved and posted just fine within a day.

That sounds strange enough Trucha.. I Pm'd you to help in any way I can..

@ Juuls... I'm fascinated by any crosses of this lovely plant, even it's an imposter juul's! I haven't found any pics of mature hybrids with a TJG...

That sounds like a neat cross Mutant.. In my next sew there will be some Lumberjack x Juuls beans that i've been fortunate enough to get my hands on... it's damn near impossible to find a scop here in the states

Trucha, Do you know it to be true that Tom Juuls collected his specimen from Bolivia? It reminds me alot of plants I see labeled Huanucoensis especially the one in the first and second photos in this link:

http://www.largelyaccurateinformationmedia.com/pedro/pedro_oddcv.html

LOL I'll rephrase... most of what I see being advertised as Juuls, reminds me of those first two pics more than the 3rd

Hey Trucha, we had to institute a mod/admin approval for new posts due to ever evolving spam bot problems on the nook. I'll let the admin know to approve you ... hopefully you signed up as trucha or ktrucha. If not pm the name you used and I'll make sure you're approved. Our admin tend to have a lot going on off the net, so they can take a bit to take care of things.

Tom Juul was a serious collector of succulent books and cactus. I do not believe that he actually did the collecting but played an important role in some things involving cacti. He was apparently one of the founders of the ISI. He also had an insane cactus garden.

Professionally he was a butcher in San Francisco.

No one I know knows anything about the origin of that plant prior to it reaching Tom Juul. Its believed that its most likely origin was one of the UC South American collection expeditions in the 1950s (which collected many plants in Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina). There is conjecture that it lost its collection data during shipment back to the US but its probable nothing solid is ever going to resurface on paper. I ran into some false leads early in the discovery process due to encountering assorted people who did not know how to say "I don't know". This is a common problem I bet I'm not the only one to run into? That MIGHT be the sort of thing where the Bolivia comment arose?

Its always amazed me how many interesting cacti were brought to UC in those expeditions. They were cancelled due to someone with access to ears on the board of reagents protesting that the University was wrong to be sharing in joint ventures with commercial cactus people.

I have to wonder if the person or persons causing it to be cancelled ever realized that what was shut down was limited to UC's benefit from the project and commercial collectors continued without them.

Yeah... I find too often with plants that people get their egos in the way of what they want for the plants when the plants want nothing more than to grow, thrive and spread their genes around.... In nature, particular for cacti, one can only expect a small percentage of seeds to survive, while in captivity, one can get a high sprout rate and get them all around further preserving genetics which is good since the earth changes and shit...

There is a great benefit to any plant to get in as many places as it can possibly be but I don't believe in growing a plant too far out of its zone without properly caring for it... but nature puts these plants under all of natures good and bad, and yet ppl have all these ideas about shit.. its more ego and reflects what these people want from the plants rather than what the plants want... I see overcare for nature way too often... nature would carry on just fine without any of us... but quite frankly I think the plants enjoy our company :)

As for a University... this is a business like anything... if it wasn't they would operate for free or even non profit, but theres a price for tuition and salaries and all... I learned early in my business life (once upon a time) that the business which fail to network with other business, are the ones that dont last very long... theres nothing that makes a business flourish more than word of mouth and cooperation... If anything, this unity in business could have helped ensured better business practices by aligning with those who ran an ethical business ... but instead someone chose separation and ended up with what? ...