The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lupus

Dracaena cinnibari

Does anyone out there know where to get Dracaena cinnibari seeds/plants? Any information would be helpfull.

P.S. Dracaena cinnibari is a tree native to the Canary Islands. It is the main source of a resin called Dragon's Blood, named for its red color. The resin is used as a strong smelling incense.

Guest cornucopia

It is reasonably common in cultivation, but not often offered for sale, well at least these days. The Botanic Gardens in Sydney has an excellent specimen near the Art Gallery gates. I have had some available in the past but at present ave no idea where to get them. They live for a ong time, so it seems that they were more widely planted in the past and mostly found as specimen trees in parks. They look excellent.

Once you know it, and it is quite distinctive, you may find an older specimen around that is carrying seed.

cya

Guest reville

is th d cinnabari the same as d draco?

Ive seen lots of them around perth, including some big ones in the parks around perth,is this description about right?

its got a fairly massive silver trunk that goes up to split off into 2 or more trunk branches. it has silvery blue leaves and large racemes of red berries about the size of grapes? i suggest looking about the base as i found one with literally hundreds of young ones germinating about the base off st georges tce or thereabouts in perth, i took two but they didnt make it - i was in a hurry and crudely pulled them out , and iu didnt make the medium well drained enough.

Guest cornucopia

I assumed they were the same thing and kind of just took notice of the Dragons Blood Tree, which is listed mostly as Dracaena draco. That's the one that around in parks and gardens.

When they are bigger they get a very distinctive very branched form. Not sure if that's the same one you mentioned as I'm not sure about the fruit, a description I have says orange berries inside the leaf rosettes. Could be Yucca or something else that looks similar when small. I think the red resin is distinctive though.

I wouldn't be surprised if all botanic gardens in major cities had one of these, probably labelled. Always a good place to visit to check if an interesting plant might grwoing there, or often near relatives and similar plants.

Thank You for the replies. Unfortunately I live in a small town in the U.S. where most of the people probably don't even know what a botanical garden is. If you come across a source though I would be much abliged for the information.

P.S. D. draco is a similair species to D. cinnibari but the resin of D. draco is used primarily as a stain or varnish.