The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

question.

Hi folks,

I am just wondering if fricii can cross pollinate other types to produce viable seed?

I have a fricii flowering and my partner has koheresii flowering, but i have heard some types will reject some types of pollen.

Will they be compatable lovers or should i leave them alone?

Edited by bogfrog

Maybe time to try EG's concrete tek. :P

lol, problem is that the self-fertile one is probably already fertilated long before flower actually opens. It only makes sense with cacti that are self-sterile. So it would only make sense the other way round.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's a way to get around that. Like what would happen if you trimmed back the petals early and snipped the stamen off before they were ripe? Would that stop the development of the stigma?

Please continue this guys some good info coming out here that I had no idea about

I never new williamsii were self fertile

Are williamsii the only one of the lophophora species wich is self fertile ??

If not

Could someone more knowledgeable possibly list wat species are and are not self fertile

I would love to know wat exactly I will need to actually pollinate this season as I have never done this before

On another side note how about trichos are there certain trichos that are self fertile ???

I know almost nothing about pollination and would love to hear more about wat is self fertile and wat isn't

• Like 1

Hey thanks very much for the comments, i'm pretty clueless about loph crossing to, i'll read up on kadas site tomorrow at uni.

I'll try get a pic of them both open tomorrow, my plant hasn't opened yet but will very soon and the williamsi flowered today for its first time ever, and should last to catch the other one.

Should i just try it and c what happens?

Yes you need to cut open the flower and remove all the petals. In this case, you could have a chance. But even then, it can happen that you have an accidential fertilisation.

Could someone more knowledgeable possibly list wat species are and are not self fertile

I would love to know wat exactly I will need to actually pollinate this season as I have never done this before

This is a great list that Stillman recently pointed me to. It is in french but contains a shitload of cacti with all kind of info and in the first colum, you can either see a "s" for sterile or "f" for ferile.

http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc

• Like 1

I have got seeds from every willy flower that I have tickled with a paint brush. As far as I know with out checking all trich's are self sterile.

I have a chart on my computer which I found a while ago with most cacti listed and whether they are self fertile or self sterile.

I was only thinking about this the other day. How do I put a 26 page word doc up for every one to access. :scratchhead:

In the meantime I will try and find the link again to the original place were I found the chart.

Cheers

Got

That is the one EG

I will stop looking now :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for that EG very helpful indeed :)

tis the season for loph flowers indeed, I have really enjoyed the variety of petal shapes and colours I have seen recently - I wish I had taken pics of all of them. one of my favourites flowering at the moment is a pale flower with a deep pink center. lovely.

• Like 1

No sunshine today so i'll be waiting until tomorrow to see the flowers open.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

Edited by bogfrog

Hi Bogfrog, its a textbook example for monstrose growth that is induced by bugs or a disease. Pretty sure that the Loph would grow normal again after it recovered from the mites. I think the mites messed up the skin in that area so badly that it didnt know where to grow to. As far as i could tell, all other heads look rather normal. Maybe your lucky and the damage was permanent. But in many cases, monstroses like this will revert to normal.

i thought arranged marriages were illegal in NZ?

• Like 2

look at you two plantheads...

gettin down

rubbin your stamen all over one another

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

fertalising this

and pollinating that