The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
modernmachine

P.Somniferum Hairy stems vs Non-hairy stems and the difference?

Hey peeps, so another question. I've heard from someone who grows poppies in their garden for ornamental value that the Tasmanian is their favorite. There is a question this person has as they want to learn as much as possible about this strange but beautiful plant. Anyway this person has noticed 90% of them have little to no hair on the stems of the plant but a few of them are different and have very hairy stems. iThey are fairly keen to know more about this and would love to hear from people who might think they can shed some light? Thanks peeps :wink: -MM

Edited by modernmachine

From what I've read, a person growing a Tasmanian poppy patch always got hairy stemmed purple-white flowers, without fail.

And according to their information there is no correlation between high-thebaine and hair to be found.

All P.somm poppies are poisonous...

Thebaine varieties are segregated from the food stock seed, mostly to protect the variety from competitors.

SWIM reckons these posts are getting pretty close to self incrimination.

• Like 1

The flower colour varies on each pod on the same plant.

Really? You mean there's a slight difference in shade, or actually different colours? Cuz I've never heard of different colour flowers on the same plant before.

Don't over-analyse everything the plant is doing. Over-analysis + speculation + the internet = crazy myths which can be funny and annoying and hard to get rid of. There are some bits of information that I've seen go around and around and never seen any conclusion on. Correlations between sap colour, neck hair, pod size, and alkaloid profile.... :scratchhead: confusion and more speculation abound.

Bottom line: the only sure-fire way to preserve one's health is to not do anything dangerous or illegal.

LOL @ SWIM!

I swam once. In the ocean. Don't pour salt-water onto your plants.

• Like 1

The flower colour varies on each pod on the same plant.

That is not a crazy myth!!!!!!! Some are pure white and other had the purple blotch

it even kind of confirms it here: http://demo1.tmag.tas.gov.au/treatments/families/Papaveraceae/Papaveraceae.html

Waterboy I don't believe there is self incrimination going on and sorry if it seems that way. Thanks for your answers, I have to go now. seeya

Pics or it didn't happen! :devil:

Halif, going by that emoticon you are getting a little flustered. The fact you think it could be just some random guy making up crazy myths alludes to the fact you think I am: (A) A liar or (B ) stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. I assure you why would I lie to you what do I have to gain? Also asking for pictures now when what I described happened in the past is like asking me at 11pm to take a picture of the sun that day and saying if i can't take a picture that you won't believe the sun came up that day. lol. not sure whether pictures are allowed anyway. Maybe i will pm you? But still I don't get the drama over this, I thought this would have been common knowledge to people who have done good amounts of research

Edited by modernmachine

:innocent_n: Edited by modernmachine