The Corroboree
Torsten

Kyle Nolan's family needs our help.

Kyle's body will be cremated in peru if the family can't raise at least $8000 very quickly. This will deny the family proper closure, but will also deny all of us the truth. We need a proper autopsy to be performed so that we know what role ayahuasca played in his death.

To add to the misery a $2000 donations collection box was stolen from Kyle's mum's work. Time is running out.

http://fundly.com/help-bring-our-18-year-old-son-home-from-peru-for-further-autopsy-and-proper-burial

Kyle did not return home to san francisco after a trip to peru. The shaman at Shimbre had told the family that Kyle left with his bags packed and was depressed. The family eventually returned home without finding him. A few days later the police found out that the shaman had lied to the family. Kyle had died after taking ayahuasca and returning to his tent where he was found in the morning. The shaman then buried him in the jungle in a cover up.

Shimbre is a well respected ayahuasca retreat and the shaman is claimed to be one of the best. trust is a big factor in the ayahuasca community and this event has rocked it to the foundations. Getting as much detail and truth as possible needs to be the priority now. Please donate.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to find out the cause of Kyles death.

I just looked at the donate page in the link. I don't like it when there is a field for personal details...like name address etc.. I also am not keen on giving out my credit card details. Be great if there was an option to pay with PayPal. If there was another way to donate...???

Also, what happens to everyones donations if the target goal is not reached in situations like this?.

Condolences to Kyles family .

• Like 3

This is not a private page, but a fundly page. Fundly is as trustworthy as any other payment processor. Your details are not shared with the recipient.

if anyone really does not want to share their details, but is happy to donate please let me know and you can donate via me. I'll accept paypal in my private account and will pass on the full donation with receipt.

you can send payment to

curator at wandjina.net.au

If you want confirmation please PM me with what you've sent.

if you want to do a cash deposit in the bank then PM me for details.

Usually funds are returned if the goal is not reached. however, while the site was set up two days ago, it was only discovered by the aya community late last night. Since then it has already reached 26%. That's more than a quarter in 12 hours. I expect it to reach the total in a few days. It as set up to run for 60 days, even though they need the money this week to do the transfer.

• Like 1

They are over $7000 now so it looks like they'll make it.

Having gone through something similar i can totally appreciate the need for a first world standard autopsy, so i donated $100.

However, i assume he had no travel insurance, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

I don't generally believe in insurance, but travel insurance seems to me to be a must, & avoids such sad situations.

As the Lonely Planet books all say:

"If you can't afford travel insurance, then you can't afford to travel"

• Like 4

94% just 2 hours later....

They only need $247 now. I was doubting the money would be raised actually hey. I like how people rally together for a worthy cause.

( Assuming the total amount will be raised)...I am happy for the family that they will be able to bring their sons body home. It will be nice for the family to have his remains where they can visit. And heres hoping the autopsy report shows the death was not due to the Ayahuasca.

:)

Shimbre is owned 50% by the local community and 50% by Rob Velez who wants to use his wealth to heal people. He paid for the million dollar project to be built.

Rob has donated $5000 to the fundly campaign. While I have no doubt the campaign would have easily raised the full funds without rob, it is very significant that he did this. It brings the financial stress and uncertainty for the family to an immediate end and it shows Rob is not playing politics.

Let's not forget though that the rest of the community has come up with the other $3000 in less than 24h, with most donations being well under $100. In fact at 66 donors that's an average of about $45 each, which is a huge amount considering it is entirely without return other than the knowledge of having helped.

Amz, your donation has been added. I was in a rush this afternoon and wanted to make sure that any further donations via my paypal are also included before it closes, so sent another $150. Your donation is included in that. No one else made use of the payal offer, so i guess I donated a bit extra, LOL.

• Like 1

$47 to go.

No one else made use of the payal offer, so i guess I donated a bit extra, LOL.

Aw shit, sorry about that Torsten. (Just call me Miss Para Noid for not using credit card on line. PayPal is my preferred method of payment) . Thanks for going to the trouble you did.

Edited by Amazonian

$358 over target :)

Keep us informed Torsten if you hear anything about the autopsy report.

Just wondering if there is any conclusion to this.

Kyle's body ahs been cremated. An autopsy has been done in the USA [as well as the one in peru], with various samples having been retained. There is also a lot more detail about the night of his death and about the shaman, but it is probably best to wait for the autopsy results which weren't going to be handed over until the bill was paid. I haven't been in touch for a few weeks as I got a bit too busy, but will try and get an update soon. The peruvian results should be available by now anyway.

to see the internet used like this is amazing constantly you hear about how bad and evil the net is but

never do you hear about stories like this .

to see the internet used like this is amazing constantly you hear about how bad and evil the net is but

never do you hear about stories like this .

You hang out in the wrong part of the interwebz then :wink: . There is a huge amount of organised and random good work going on. There are also a lot of scams.

• Like 2

If you read at the bottom of the page someone has linked a blog like review written before Kyles death apparently.

http://brujosofshimbre.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/hello-world/

You can't make too much of it but they paint a fairly bleak picture. I haven't really read much about the tours and the Mac'donalds like Shaman centres popping up to feed on the western interest, very unfortunate situation none the less.

thats a very interesting read. i do hope we find out what happened. that place sounds pretty wack.

I've spent quite a bit of time talking to people who like chimbre. People who respect and love mancoluto. I find it amazing that even after this event they claim he has the power to stay telepathically connected with his charges and hence physical distance is not an issue. I would have thought that this event is clear proof that he does not have that skill. When I voice criticism of the lack of supervision of the trippers they tell me that supervision is not required becuase of his connection to the people, but if I point out the fallacy of this in view of the events they say that it was Kyle's fault. There is an immediate unquestioning concept that Kyle must have been a bad boy and scored drugs in the nearby town, while mancoluto is a healer beyond reproach. You might want to dismiss these people as religious nutters, but they are actually otherwise really sane and logical people. They are friends I have good conversations with [and anyone who knows me knows how short a fuse I have for spiritual nuttery]. So this whole belief system that surrounds mancoluto is quite surprising. He has obviously managed to suck in even the most sane and stable people.

Kyle died quietly, so death was likely quick. It is unlikely to have been due to other drugs because Kyle was a good boy who was well aware of the drug interaction risks [he even stopped all his medications for several weeks]. It also makes no sense for there to have been any foul play [up to the point of his death] as any such problems would spell the end for chimbre and mancoluto. The problem is that ayahuasca advocates claim that ayahuasca is 100% safe. This is ignorant and stupid. There are many pharmacological and physical conditions that could cause death from aya. These are definitely rare, but not impossible.

The autopsy should be due soon and will hopefully answer most of these questions.

• Like 2

Great to see the money was raised.

Excellent post T. Identifies some aspects of the community that I believe hinder and harm the reputation of entheogens.

Just goes to show sheep are sheep regardless of the shepherd and regardless of how "enlightened" they believe themselves to be.

• Like 1

frank the first link does not work

>Shimbre is a well respected ayahuasca retreat and the shaman is claimed to be one of the best.Shimbre is a well respected ayahuasca retreat and the shaman is claimed to be one of the best.

Don't know about that Torsten. Sure, I have met some people who appreciated the time they spent there, but also appreciated they got a free ticket to South America and time there, paid for by Rob. I have also met people who could smell trouble coming with Chimbre.

Before Rob came along, Manculuto was not really working with many tourists, the way he worked was very different to the other curanderos. I think one can really appreciate his spirit of innovation, but giving unsupervised Ayahuasca certainly backfired on him big time.

It's a terrible tragedy, and made even harder with the trouble getting the autopsy and that we may never know what really happened. Kyle's dad has given some good insight about it on the Ayahuasca facebook group and he seems like an amazing person. There have also been many great posts about it. I can't imagine how Sean must feel, especially since it seems that Shimbre was a questionable place and Mancoluto was not a very good shaman for Kyle. Apparently many people knew that such an incident would occur at Shimbre, and the owner had been warned about Mancoluto's practices, but he ignored the warnings. From what I've read about it, it seems that the owner, Rob, has been a real jerk about this. Mancoluto may have been claimed to be one of the best, but by whom? Anyway, what does it matter what he was claimed to be? What he proved to be is anything but. Simply by burying Kyle and then lying TWICE to his family, he has made his bed. Let's say he wasn't even negligent and he did give Kyle care and shamanic guidance, it is indisputable that he did those things. Mancoluto and Rob are, in my view, indefensible.

• Like 2

Just read from Kyle's father Sean that 60 minutes Australia are doing a feature on Kyles death. He posted about this a month ago so I imagine it may show here sometime soon.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/my-18-year-old-sons-death-cautionary-tale-810413-8.html#post6196068

https://www.facebook.com/InLovingMemoryOfKyleNolan

• Like 1