The Corroboree
nitrogen

Nitrogen´s Connoisseur hybrids - pics and seed giveaway

I grafted 30 of the (SS02 x pachanoi) x TPM yesterday a heap of them looked a bit screwy. I'm thinking even with some loses there will be some mad little freaks amongst that lot. Will keep you all posted.

• Like 3

Have seed of these crosses but not enough time to sow them.

If a reputable grafter out there wants to grow them and then graft then split the cactus in between us roughly, please pm me.

me and mushrooman have a deal :) he should have some more grafts later in the year to show.

sorry to sidetrack the thread,

Just a text update for now.

The seed which I planted is growing pretty well. Some better than others. I prefer to grow conventionally (isn't growing cacti meant to teach one the art of patience anyway? :P ). Traits are starting to show (the Psycho0 x has long spines already), but so far no mutants (maybe my style of growing, which is to acclimate them to no humidity as soon as possible, picks them off relatively early on?).

Once the cold nights are over, then the spring fertilization will begin, and they will get pumped and hopefully they'll be a few centimetres big by the beginning of Autumn. At which point traits are beginning to become apparent.

• Like 2

I grew mine in the same style CBL, hardened them off really early. They seemed to be a bit stunted by their sudden introduction to the (sometimes) cold harsh reality of NZ. Its an experiment in cultivating the art of patience indeed :P

How long ago did you sow? Mine are only just starting to funk out, most look normal but there are a few which look very kooky.

My (ss02 x pach) x TPM are noticably bigger than the rest!

post-8023-0-62867200-1373272291_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

<takes photo>

gallery_7332_400_34239.jpg

(About 2/3 of these are zelly's crosses, and 1/3 nitrogen's crosses).
Can't remember exactly when I sowed these guys, but probably in Jan/Feb I should think.
Mine seem fairly spiny - they're growing in a windowsill that's north-west facing, so probably just the more sun doing that.
I'm wondering what I'll do with all these bazillions of seedlings as they get bigger...

Edited by CβL
  • Like 2

Great work naja you got heaps, congrats :) could you pick the freaks from normal seedlings when you started grafting them?

I've had some sort of caterpillar issue but I think I sorted it out. I think there has been no cacti casualties.

CBL - I've noticed some of them start out normal for awhile - a bunch of my TPM x N1 were like this - looked normal till like 3cm tall on pereskiopsis and then went weird.. The freak rate appears to be high with these crosses regardless, especially the ones with TPM or TPC as mother - you'll have quite a few here in a bit ;)

I like growing conventionally too but I haven't had good luck with hardening them off really young - seems to stunt them - I like to keep them in high humidity and no direct sunlight till they a couple cm tall or so..

Naja Naja - nice! I love the one in the last post you made, far right - the one that's formed a 3-headed monstrose type thing - so cool looking!

• Like 4

I also have grown mine the 'traditional way' and hardened them off quickly. They are now outside in a small Bunning glasshouse, single digit temps at night at the moment but getting hrs of winter sun and doing well by all accounts.

Hard to photograph but I definately have some freaks in there and look forward to showing them off here over next summer as they grow.

Enjoy

post-10315-0-21782800-1373360812_thumb.j

post-10315-0-16944900-1373360838_thumb.j

post-10315-0-19545600-1373360868_thumb.j

post-10315-0-77923000-1373360890_thumb.j

post-10315-0-45878500-1373360916_thumb.j

Geatfix

post-10315-0-21782800-1373360812_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-16944900-1373360838_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-19545600-1373360868_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-77923000-1373360890_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-45878500-1373360916_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-21782800-1373360812_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-16944900-1373360838_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-19545600-1373360868_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-77923000-1373360890_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-45878500-1373360916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 4

I have way too many seedlings to keep so when these get bigger I will be doing a seedling giveaway.

Nitrogen generously sent these out so will share the love.

Watch this space if you missed out on the seeds!!

Getafix

• Like 3

ok, fixed the links in the first post.

first batch i grafted i couldn't see any freaks except if they were triploids, I didn't make a preference for freaks, on the second batch i didtarget the freaks, but still got pretty mucch same ratio freak:normal by now. On average, they give out >50% freaks on all 5 X's i have grafted so far, even the ones where the monstrose is donated by the father/pollen rather than being the mum , the last 3 X's will get grafted this week some time.

On average, they give out >50% freaks on all 5 X's i have grafted so far, even the ones where the monstrose is donated by the father/pollen rather than being the mum

So that rules out mutagenic potential being transmitted by chloroplast DNA or apomixis :)

That leaves heritable nuclear DNA traits and the possibility of a seemingly otherwise harmless mutagenic microbe or virus as the possibilities, ya?

Has anyone got monsters from Psycho0 X N1 ?

I'm a bit behind the herd as I had to finish another project before I could give these babies the attention they deserve. All my seeds are sprouted now tho and the frantic mass cloning of Pereskiopsis has begun B)

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 1

I think Mushroomman got a freak outa that one^ from memory.

sorry that was tpM x n1 ^

As a matter of fact I do have one from the Psychonaught X N1 that looks freakish - some of these infants form a globular shape at the growing tip instead of ribs - those are good bets to graft - well, one of this cross did that so I have grafted it and await the results - all my other seedlings from that cross are normal though, as are all of my N1 x TPQC.. I get a higher freak rate for sure from the ones with the mutant as the mother - though the ones with mutant as father are no slouch for making freaks either..

BTW, these little babies handle ferts really well - I'm dosing them full strength Miracle Grow brand fertilzer on pereskiopsis, and much lighter strength miracle grow (or other 20-20-20 w micronutrients) on the ones growing on their own roots - they love it!

• Like 2

So just did a count, out of 27 actively growing grafts, 15 are obvious freaks. 8 of them crested heavily and more going so, maybe who knows. It's seriously good pickings when u get multiple pots with multiple crests. Ur a legend nitrogen! Australia and the world just got a huge injection of crests and mutations. Quite timely in a time when less identifiable forms may become preferable.

• Like 3

certainly naja the best thing is no one now has a monopoly on the freaks in Aus, our genetic pool of mutants has been flooded. About time as we are pretty limited in that aspect.

nitro certainly deserves heaps of respect for freely sending out fuckloads of seeds.

a true gent! refused any monetary offers aswell. :wub: loves ya

• Like 6

deff spacemonk, i also strongly encouraged him to accept something in return but was met with refusal all the way. Cause I am pretty sure I would have payed big for seeds like these. U could start quite a seed business with seeds like that nitro.and because of the diff species used amongst the x's, we are sure to have lots to choose from spination wise. Can't wait till they mature, at the moment best i can do is guess.I am hoping for some with lageniformis type spines, some with pach types spines, etc,etc

My plan with the crest forms is to grow them on pere till spring, then graft onepart of each to pach rootstock, root one on own roots and leave a good chunk on the pere to regenerate out some more growth. This way can see if diff rootstocks effect growth types and if any have difficulty or weakness growing on their own roots.

I am unsure about the crazy types wat to really do, I'll just have to see how they grow over time and try and do the same kinda thing with them also if their shapes and forms allow/

Trichocerues Nitrogensis - Trichocereus Satanicus - Trichocereus diabolicus - Trichocereus Mutantis - trichocereus radioactivans - trichocereus teribeles - trichocerues horrida - and then put them in a hybrid database...... sick new hybrids deserve sick names Trichocerues EvilGeniusensii hahaha

and the database should be addopted by all ethno grow and cacti related sites.

I mean, people are naming the hybrids in the ephipylum cacti whatever they want,... same happens with hylocereus cultivars......

There will come a point when the hybrids become sooooo potent that a mere scratch from a spine will send you off for days hahahaha :blink:

Edited by woof woof woof
  • Like 1

Anyone in W.A. Wanna do a trade yet????