The Corroboree
blog

want to save pups

hi,

found a cactus that has been laying on the ground rotting, it has grown some pups in a bid to live but some of the pups have a black death looking stuff on them.

What is the blackness, and how do I attempt to save the pups. Just cut them off from the dead mother and dry the wound, or keep some of the truck for nutrition? Cut out the black death from the pups or spray them?

I don't know anything about cactus, just discovered this death scene and would like to save the pups if possible.tommorow. There are 3 angles shown.

Thanks [ for size aspect. the laying down cactus is maybe 4foot]

post-84-0-23865900-1347873240_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-85509900-1347873244_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-08543100-1347873249_thumb.jpg

Edited by blog

looks like it hsa some scale aswell.

I'd probably cut off the healthy pups incase it rots more. and probably cut the plant up to where it is healthy!

depends on how much you want to keep and be safe with versus risking it to more rot.

• Like 1

The rot does look pretty bad in some spots but definitely still some healthy parts. I don't have much advice for you, but I enjoyed the pictures. I like how you can see the pot that got knocked over and shattered. The pups are nice and fat, hopefully you can salvage some. I love these plants, most other plants would have died in similar circumstances... not tricho's though they keep growing and growing and growing :)

Looks like 3 or 4 of the pups are pretty healthy. As spacemonk said, I'd cut the healthy pups off the log, cutting into the log instead of the pup. Parts of log may be ok if you cut off the rot and let it dry out first. Good luck!

sometimes that black weeping shit goes away by itself.....when it appears how it does on that pup....im not sure what causes that but at times ive had a theory of some kind of internal burrowing bug causes it.....worse case ive also seen it turn into black rot like the base.....

Edited by applesnail

Thanks very much for those replies.

I got a library book on cacti today and it would seem the black shit on the pups may be due to a systemic fungal infection contracted via rotting/dead roots. I think the cacti has been laying there for months, so can't imagine the roots are alive, or healthy..

I will try removing pups tommorow, scab the cut, and see if they'll root without turning into black gunk, and update with a picture.

Edited by blog

might be an idea to look up scale infection aswell, those white marks look like scale to me, just run your nail through them, and youll find out if its scarring or scale..