The Corroboree
mindperformer

Wrongly identified as Jurema

Question

I ordered seeds via ebay from West seed Farm and thought it should be the real Jurema because the seeds looked very similar.

When I touched the leaves, they folded instantly like Mimosa pudica, which it isn't because the seeds of Mimosa pudica look very different.

Sold as Mimosa hostilis syn. M. tenuiflora (Jurema), but shows Seismonasty, so maybe another species like Neptunia sp. or M. pudica var. hispida, which also show seismonasty:

vdjtog.jpg

2e5tvro.jpg

2a7j310.jpg

The seeds:

2r465nd.jpg

Plants of the Mimosoideae, which show Seismonasty:

Albizia lophanta (but very different seeds)

Mimosa diplotricha (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Mimosa latidens (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Mimosa nuttallii (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Mimosa pigra (but very different seeds)

Mimosa polycarpa var. spegazzinii (looks quite similar)

Mimosa polycarpa (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Mimosa quadrivalvis (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Mimosa rupertiana (does not have these small hairs on stems and leaves)

Neptunia gracilis (looks quite similar)

Neptunia lutea (looks very similar and has distribution in parts of Mexiko)

Neptunia oleracea (has a bit more longitudinal seeds)

Neptunia plena (has a bit more longitudinal seeds and no hairs on stems)

Does anyone know about seismonasty- movements from Mimosa hostilis?

21 answers to this question

When I was growing M. tenuiflora, I noticed thigmonasty /seismonasty in younger seedlings... this seemed to disappear upon maturation of the plants though. They still closed up at night, but lost sensitivity to touch... I don't know if thats normal, it was my first go at trying to grow them.

I can vouch that they(edit: Mimosa hostilis) do respond to both touch and to lack of light.

However like fydesvindico the sensitivity to touch seemed to diminish after time on my plants, but then a few months later they've lost all their leaves and seem to be dead, so it could simply be my lack of care :(

edit: (the plants look like mimosa too, the seems look similar as well (i'm not that great at identifying seeds though)

I reckon you got the real deal

It should eventually develop some little thorns along the stem too.

Edited by Distracted

The seeds look pretty right from memory. I wouldn't give up hope just yet that she not correctly id'd.

Thanks for the insightful answers, I didn't know that Jurema- seedlings show seismonasty in their your stage. :worship:

I hope it will make the thorns and white flowers too.

Edited by mindperformer

I got this plant from a friend as Jurema, years ago, but no thorns... maybe M. verrucosa

iw4q41.jpg

I got this plant from a friend as Jurema, years ago, but no thorns... maybe M. verrucosa

Irie,

OP photos look like hostilis.

I have one (I have alot) hostilis that is thornless, but the verrucosa have bloody great vicious thorns.

MP, not sure what ya got there (last photo)??but ain't looking like either hostilis or verrucosa.

Respect,

Z

Side by side hostilis & verrucosa, weeds in the beds!

post-5111-0-22213300-1347831004_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-21500600-1347831049_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-46639800-1347831091_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-22213300-1347831004_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-21500600-1347831049_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-46639800-1347831091_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-22213300-1347831004_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-21500600-1347831049_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-46639800-1347831091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zaka

a>

I have this plant. It is {apparently} an Acacia sp. I got it off a member from SA as a swap at EGA in November 09. The species name was not mentioned to me at the time and I have not chased it since. I am yet to have it flower or fruit - I am very keen to see what these look like.

Irie,

Looking more like Leucaena leucocephala, IMHO.

Respect,

Z

Thanks Zaka,

Fairly confident that the plant that I have is not Leucaena. Need some fertile material for positive ID. Will try and check whether the member here recalls the specific identity and report back.

Peace

seeds look ok, leaves look ok, my thumb goes up for jurema.

i think to remeber that the seismonasty, of young jurema is very slow and with a slow responce time, whils pudica like plants, close in a flash.

I have this plant. It is {apparently} an Acacia sp. I got it off a member from SA as a swap at EGA in November 09. The species name was not mentioned to me at the time and I have not chased it since. I am yet to have it flower or fruit - I am very keen to see what these look like.

You probably have Adenanthera sp. , which is a south american acacia. Or it could be the mystery south american acacia that gets around sometimes :o

I would think Arca, or Acacia visco is the name of that plant, south american acacia likely to have been passed to you from a member in SA. A beautiful tree this one.

Thank you greatly Micromegas :-)

Acacia visco looks to be the mystery plant. This plant was passed to me by a SA-based member who I am sure we both know. I like it a lot (it has a nice feeling) and I am about to move it from a pot to a permanent place in Gumbayngirr soil. I think it will be happy.

I hope to meet you again bro - I really enjoyed our brief connection at EGA 2009.

If you are ever in NNSW pls let me know..

Hi Tarrena, no probs. And yes if I am ever in NNSW i'll be sure to look you up, that would be cool. As for this plant, I received my viscos from the same fine fellow, and they have been in the ground for a few years, and although they do pretty well they are not exactly perfect for a temperate climate as the growing seasons are in reverse and this slows them down considerably (wet in winter, dry in summer when wet in summer would be better for this tree). These plants grow in an area very climatically similar to anadenanthera columbrina var cebil, with a very long dry season punctuated by a ferocious short wet season in an area of very consistent temperature (near the tropic of capricorn). The visco is more hardy though. I saw this plant in public parks/gardens in towns in NW argentina but also growing in drainage areas in the rural zones especially near irrigation channels in very arid alpine areas. I was wandering around pointing at the tree asking people if it was "visco" (as this is one of its common names) and they kept saying "arca" and I was quite pleased when I finally googled that. It can grow into a very large tree (30m+) or as a very small tree, almost a shrub. I spent a few hours collecting seed at one place but it was ALL infected with some bug that turned the inside of the seed to mush. All the visco seeds I sent from S.America to myself were seized and destroyed by quarantine along with any other seed in the same envelope. Even seeds that looked fine, after a month or so, became mushy. I am really a great fan of this plant for no particular reason other than the "nice feeling" that it radiates. But I would keep a close eye on this tree planted in a sub-tropical climate such as NNSW for unwanted seedlings popping up. It may like that climate very much indeed and without the pest that mutilates its seed it may have the potential to be weedy. I also would keep it away from house foundations as in the right spot it will grow quite large and quickly. Cheers, Micro

Edited by Micromegas
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed info Micromegas - it is invaluable,

Part of the reason I was trying to learn the identity of the plant was to understand its weed potential.

I am really wary of Acacias, given the tendency of many to behave badly when outside their natural range.

My plant will be remaining in a pot for its entire life, will be confined to the urban matrix and not allowed anywhere near a bushland interface. If it flowers and fruits I will be in a position to prevent them invading natural ecosystems.

Thanks a million

btw tarenna the seeds you were given were much larger than the seeds in the first post, probably closer to 1cm each across and flat.

I still say mineperformer's plant is jurema but tarenna yours would definitely by visco :)

Hey Distracted,

I am confused by your post. I was given a potted specimen of a mystery Acacia at EGA 09 - it has turned out to be Acacia visco. I am really glad that I now have an ID.

I have not said anything in this thread about being given any seeds.

Can you please clarify what you mean.

thanks.

Oh sorry, you just said you had the plant in question, both the plant and seeds were posted in the first post.

The seeds that your plant produces(which i have been given and germinated from seed) are much bigger than the seeds pictured and thus i believe you don't have the plant originally pictured.

Irie,

Very interesting about the Acacia visco

I'm not familiar with the sp.

Another observation about the hostilis or verrucosa.

The hostilis close down at night.

The verrucosa close up.

What about the visco?

btw the only seeds pictured in this thread look like hostilis!

Respect,

Z

Hi Zaka, the visco closes up at night and also in hot weather. It is also semi-deciduous losing its leaves during its dry season when not irrigated or tapped into ground water, or in cold climates during the winter (especially when young), re-shooting at the beginning of spring. It responds very well to coppicing and pruning.