The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Camo

Spot The Actives!

Hey everyone. I've recently been researching different herbal teas to try, not nessecarily actives, just for flavour and freshness. Amongst the online Australian sites I came across this one which has quite a large rang of dried herbs alot of which i'm completely unaware of.

http://herbsupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_17

So I'm putting it to you more knowledgable walking ethno encyclopedias (i'm looking at you mindperformer :D) to help me spot some "noticable" actives! There are some obvious stand outs like Cali Poppy, but so many more i've never heard of before. I appreciate any help guys.

Cheers,

Camo

Nothing particularly exciting in terms of 'actives'. But I do see a couple of herbs I wouldn't mind buying notably: Mullein and Pau d'arco,

Not sure what you mean by actives. But one that you might find do a bit more than a tasty tea are

ashwaganda

calamus (though read up on beta-asarone for yourself before you ingest it - I'm undecided)

catnip

celandine greater (again, read up on this before taking large doses)

chamomile

damiana

frankincence

ginseng

guarana (yuk!)

hops

jasmine

cola nut

lobelia

mace

nutmeg

passionflower

rhodiola

st johns wort

tea

tulsi

valerian

wormwood

yerba mate

Note that volatiles are easily lost from some of those, so storage and freshness are important.

Note also that many people to not respond to any of these. Likely if you are used to "real drugs" then you may struggle to notice anything.

But they are the ones I would consider "active".

Sorry guys, by active i mean any "noticable" physiological or phsychological effect :) however minor it may be.

first of all in which direction active?

wormwood-tea is extremely bitter

I make tea from nearly every plant material exept the few disgusting tasting and plants from the morning glory family.

There is a thread "Herbal Teas" where I wrote much about them.

If you mean psychoactive with "active" there are lots of plant materials from which you can tea, but many of the more potent ones can be toxic in higher doses.

The action of every plant is decided by the dose (and the plant), some mild can be quite potent in higher doses and some potent can be quite mild in lower doses and so on...

You wrote Cali Poppy, so I think you would like Kratom too, from which you also can make tea, the best with lemon...

Edited by mindperformer

Thanks mindperformer, i did mean psychoactive. I will check out that herbal teas thread. I didn't notice Kratom on that website but i will check again, and isn't it illegal in Australia?

Calamus has cicked my ass before :P (6 hours of vomiting) so i'm not going to revisit her, but greater celandine sounds usefull. I've also had nauseous reactions from skullcap tea :/

One again thanks for the input guys.

oh I think Kratom is illegal in Australia.....

did you try mulungu?

Edited by mindperformer

you could try mixing with Iberis amara and ginger against nausea