The Corroboree
at0m

Crazy nausea in the mornings

For the last 2-3 months I've been having horrible nausea when I wake up. It lasts between 3 and 8 hours and inhibits my ability to eat breakfast. I can take probably 1-2 forced bites/spoonfuls of something before the nausea reaches a level where even being around food will make me, at the very least, gag until I can sit down and calm it through deep breaths. If I don't do this I will either throw up or get horrible acid reflux. It won't go away after I calm myself down or throw up but it will go back to the level it started at. That said, every one in awhile (once a week at most) I wake up feeling fine and can go about my day as normal. No issues.

I haven't tried any OTC or prescription nausea meds so I can't really comment about their effectiveness but I have been self-medicating something else which has worked amazingly well but it's a bit on the expensive side, for me anyway.

Things I've thought it may be:

Sleeping and/or weight-related issues ('squashing' my stomach whilst I sleep)

I've spent a large portion of the last couple years of my life in an office chair (not really the place for someone my age). The chair is comfortable but I certainly didn't/dont get out as much as I should. I have been getting out more recently (2-3 weeks) but I haven't noticed a change in the nausea.

Experience? Suggestions?

I think congratulations are in order :P

:)

• Like 8

sorry not really sure, but a quick google search indicates "male morning sickness" to be not that uncommon. unfortunately no cause/solution, stress or gastro type suggestions mainly. was there anything happen a few months ago to trigger stress or anything? change in diet? maybe a fungus in your bedroom popped up? some other pathogen?

I think congratulations are in order :P

That's exactly what most of my Googles bring up :( I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant though.

sorry not really sure, but a quick google search indicates "male morning sickness" to be not that uncommon. unfortunately no cause/solution, stress or gastro type suggestions mainly. was there anything happen a few months ago to trigger stress or anything? change in diet? maybe a fungus in your bedroom popped up? some other pathogen?

No more stress than I usually have/had

I changed my diet about 2 weeks ago but the problem existed before then and still persists.

My room's relatively clean but that's a possibility. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in those regards though.

i reckon get to the doctors, vomiting for no reason can't be a good sign.

• Like 1

Not smoking too many ciggies at0M? can affect the muscle on the top of the stomach. The morning acid reflux thing rings a bell.

Would"t hurt to see the doctor mate..

• Like 1

try taking some ginger product of a morning for a few days, such as proper, brewed ginger beer such as Bundaberg GB. Grab a few bottles and take daily, see if it makes a difference.

• Like 2

Every had someone check out your inner ear or nose sinuses? Maybe it has to do with the fact that you are lying on your back for a few hours what would bring a lot of secret out of the sinuses as long as you are on your back. The moment you stand up, it goes into the stomach. Another option could be that you got something wrong with your epiglottis or the gastrointernal sphincters what would allow too much stomach acid leaking into the oesophagus. Apart from that, i think you should get a gastroscopy to rule out chronical illnesses plus a short antibiotic treatment to rule out bacteria plus a general check of your blood. Liver? If you are a smoker, i would also check out the pancreas and gallbladder. :) If all that is negative, i would check for neurologic things.

Edited by Evil Genius

A mate of mine had a very similar thing a few years back, seemed to have some vague link to stress - I'll have to ask him if he still gets it.

His doctors main ideas were dodgy liver or GI infection, as I recall, but all the tests were fine - don't think they ever figured it out. But if you haven't had those things checked, you should probably start there.

Could be dietry? ARe you snotty as too? Milk or gluten combined with allergies can make me real seedy in the morning.

• Like 1

I have been experiencing the exact same thing for the past few months, but all of a sudden it just stopped. It was such a terrible pain and sickness that it would wake me up at 5 am every morning.

From what i read its mainly caused by anxiety. but you could have acid reflux.

another thing could be smoking as well. i was smoking a lot when this was happening to me and then i stopped for a few weeks and it subsided. I was also drinking a lot of coffee and i minimized that befor it stopped.

maybe give those things a shot.

• Like 1

Oh also i found myself to be waking up sleeping on my stomach. I was sleeping on a flat pillow and an old mattress; this must have made me roll in from my side onto my stomach.

I would also go as far as to suggest a thyroid function test. Your GP can conduct this, but if it returns abnormal results i would suggest seeing an endocrinologist to rectify the situation.

Thyroid dysfunction can be strongly linked to anxiety and weight issues and hormonal imbalances and the list goes on ( as far as my limited knowledge is led to understand ) and if anxiety is a killer for you then the physiological affects that can entail can be quite full on and go beyond simple nausea!!

Have a good old google linking a few of those words and see what you come up with... a full comprehensive checkup with a good doctor would be my advice also... checking everything they possibly can.

Including the thyroid function test.

I'm pretty unschooled in this area but hope that helps a little.

Edited by tipz

See a doc, get a blood test.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info guys.

@tipz (and everyone else who recommended doctors and tests): I'm not a huge fan of them (doctors or tests) but I'll probably sack up and get to it sooner rather than later.

@Alienteaparty: That sounds very similar to how I wake up. Come to think of it, a few of the times I haven't woken up with it is when I've slept somewhere which forces me to stay on my side (the couch, for example).

@Stillman: Not overly snotty as far as I'm aware. I do have mild sinus issues though.

@waterbody: Not a tobacco smoker

I'm thinking stress, anxiety and my weight and sleeping patterns may be at play here. I'll still probably get a checkup soon though. It's been a long, long time...

you don't need to go to docs to get many of these tests. My herbalist for example can access the path labs and get the same tests GPs use for thyroid and other hormones, helicobacter, nutrients, digestive problems, etc.Not everyone knows about this though. btw, goint to a doc for a test doesn't mean you ahve to take the meds afterwards. Why deprive yourself of such amazing technology that could very possibly answer your questions overnight? Once you ahve the results let him write a script and then look into other ways of fixing or managing the problem.

An easy test to do it a helicobacter pylori blood test. This should be eliminated with just about any stomach problems.

• Like 2

you don't need to go to docs to get many of these tests. My herbalist for example can access the path labs and get the same tests GPs use for thyroid and other hormones, helicobacter, nutrients, digestive problems, etc.Not everyone knows about this though. btw, goint to a doc for a test doesn't mean you ahve to take the meds afterwards. Why deprive yourself of such amazing technology that could very possibly answer your questions overnight? Once you ahve the results let him write a script and then look into other ways of fixing or managing the problem.

An easy test to do it a helicobacter pylori blood test. This should be eliminated with just about any stomach problems.

It's not so much the meds as it is the doctor's office/seeing a Doctor. The whole experience makes me very uncomfortable.

Interesting info though. thanks.

Edited by at0m

The first post makes it sound like you're simply hungover. I assume that isn't it.

Are the couple of bites you choke down milk based, like eating cereal?

(null)

I'm not a drinker but yes, it's similar to how I felt after a night of heavy drinking.

As for the food, I've tried everything on hand. Fruit, cereals (with and without milk. sugary and non-sugary), toast, bacon & eggs. About the only thing I can handle is tiny sips of water every once in awhile.

try taking some ginger product of a morning for a few days, such as proper, brewed ginger beer such as Bundaberg GB. Grab a few bottles and take daily, see if it makes a difference.

Heh, reminds me of my Grandpa. Had the worst motion sickness known to man, still went fishing with me and the family each year (up near whangarei). Drank Bundaberg GB by the liter too.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute just came here to say this ^

I think you should overcome your dislike of doctors in this case as you need to eliminate serious problems. It could be a brain problem for example. have you had any knocks to the head just before this started? could be a tumour. I am just concerend that nothing you have tried in terms of diet change has made any significant difference, which indicates to me that it might not come directly from the stomach [nausea triggers in the brain] or an infection that is unrelated to diet [eg Helicobacter]. You won't be able to eliminate these out without a doc, and waiting could be detrimental.

What are you trying to eat?

edit:

For a long long time when waking up i couldn't eat breakfast foods, i couldn't even swallow them, i'd chew them in my mouth and choke before i swallow and spit them out. intense nausea usually followed or accompanied this. So i'd just go without breakfast, have a light lunch, massive dinner and then snack until i went to sleep. Not too healthy... but whatever!

What I found helped me was eating whatever the hell i wanted when I wanted. I first noticed it when I started working midngiht shifts whilst still living with my parents, i'd wake up at 8pm to be fed 'dinner' and could eat it all and actually be quite hungry. If i were to wake up at 7am and try and eat toast/cereal i'd feel like I was going to puke.

Who knows if this helps... I just think what we consider suitable breakfast foods ie cereal, I think is like dogfood :/

Edited by Distracted

It could be a brain problem , could be a tumour.

You could have sugar coated it ^ a bit Torsten :)

Since my first post in this thread was a joke, i will feel really bad if infact there is a serious health problem at0m. But i am going to have positive thoughts, and imagine you do not have a serious illness...but merely a massive intestinal worm coursing through your gut! :P

May you be well fellow SABer.

:).

I think you should overcome your dislike of doctors in this case as you need to eliminate serious problems. It could be a brain problem for example. have you had any knocks to the head just before this started? could be a tumour. I am just concerend that nothing you have tried in terms of diet change has made any significant difference, which indicates to me that it might not come directly from the stomach [nausea triggers in the brain] or an infection that is unrelated to diet [eg Helicobacter]. You won't be able to eliminate these out without a doc, and waiting could be detrimental.

I'm going to try and make an appointment for Monday.

What are you trying to eat?

edit:

For a long long time when waking up i couldn't eat breakfast foods, i couldn't even swallow them, i'd chew them in my mouth and choke before i swallow and spit them out. intense nausea usually followed or accompanied this. So i'd just go without breakfast, have a light lunch, massive dinner and then snack until i went to sleep. Not too healthy... but whatever!

What I found helped me was eating whatever the hell i wanted when I wanted. I first noticed it when I started working midngiht shifts whilst still living with my parents, i'd wake up at 8pm to be fed 'dinner' and could eat it all and actually be quite hungry. If i were to wake up at 7am and try and eat toast/cereal i'd feel like I was going to puke.

Who knows if this helps... I just think what we consider suitable breakfast foods ie cereal, I think is like dogfood :/

I've tried most things I have availability too. Cereals, bread/toast, fruit, bacon & eggs, left overs, etc

You could have sugar coated it ^ a bit Torsten :)

Since my first post in this thread was a joke, i will feel really bad if infact there is a serious health problem at0m. But i am going to have positive thoughts, and imagine you do not have a serious illness...but merely a massive intestinal worm coursing through your gut! :P

May you be well fellow SABer.

:).

Thanks Amz. A massive intestinal worm coursing through my gut sounds great :P

Side note: It's not as bad today as it was yesterday. It's still there and inhibiting my eating but I can't go about the rest of my stuff normally.

Monday appointment it is, if I can get one.

*Edit/update

Earliest I can get myself in for an appt. is Wednesday. I considered going to an unknown Dr. but that's a stretch for me so I've gone with the one family and friends of the family, independently, recommend/have been to.

Edited by at0m