The Corroboree
Coschi

I need a new name, and would love your input!

So, like minded folk, perhaps you can better verbalise / phrase / imagine than I can

I am so useless with this in fact!

I have no idea how to go about devising a name, or thinking of one, or identify words I like, or.. really, I have no idea what I'm doing :scratchhead:

I don't know, maybe I shouldn't even be asking, maybe I'm missing the point altogether. I certainly didn't get what I hoped for on facebook (I know, that's not saying much). after all.. what do I care how many people like it? well hold on, I guess I never said this was about 'do you like this name', moreso 'can you please help me find a name I like?', what I pain in the butt, this has been dragging out already

So anyway, this is for a business

the business is in the music industry, and aims to give opportunity to musicians and other creative talent by co-forming a product and pushing it into the market. The name will serve as a brand name in fact, and be used as a marketing label for its products - so, it's got to be good! but it has to mean something to me too, this place and all things related are very close to my heart so I would love to hear anything you have to say

I know I'm being vague, but that's kind of intentional

I don't want it to be specific to the business, but it shouldn't be too far removed either. I don't mind a playful / friendly aspect to it, but it must not lose respect or authority either. In fact, it should assert authority in a playful and friendly manner

Is there a google tool or something that can take my ramblings and spit out a few relavent words? that'd be nice

Whack your thoughts into an online translator, translate it into a few languages that mean something to you, then back to English and see what you get?

(null)

• Like 3

Have a comp

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Whack your thoughts into an online translator, translate it into a few languages that mean something to you, then back to English and see what you get?

That's a great idea! I did put a few into google and checked out some of the translations, but nothing stood out, but I didn't think to translate them back! I'll be sure to give that a go

Spacemonk and Psylo Dread, thanks kindly for the suggestions but I'm not feeling it

But don't think that means I don't like them! It's just that this is such a big decision for me.. I'm sure you understand

that's also an interesting idea Halcyon Daze, I'll give it some thought

and Alienteaparty (geez that's a name right there!).. honestly I have no idea where the future will take me (or where I will take it should I say). I'm all about the musician and what they want, so from that angle I'd say the people I'd connect with would likely be into some psychedelic fusion of blues/soul/funk/rock/world with a modern approach, either commerical or indie. I do understand though that for a music production company to survive in this day and age, the income will come from marketing the product, and not from the musicians. so, genre? whatever sells (without selling out myself.. should be interesting)

I'll just say, this will probably be really annoying for all of you

You'll be like 'hey what about this great name' and i'll be all like 'naaah because >insert some silly reason<'

I need to find a way to rationalise with what I'm feeling, and translate that into something..

but please bear (bare? bear.. bear? beer.. mmm) with me! I'd really love it if the answer came from here :wub:

The sodomising nuns

Always loved Chris Cornell from Soundgardens publishing company name...

"You make me sick, I make music"

You can't beat a good play on words!

Beat and three veg

The crumpet zone

Audio Solutions Select

The green dream music marketing machine

Ascension Audio

pull my strings- dead Kennedy's, comes to mind...

How about "Ring My Bell" ?

One approach that I sometimes use is the standard combinatorial approach. Basically make a list (you won't be able to in one sitting, but do it over a few days as new ideas come), and then you systematically combine the names on the list. If you have N names, then you will have (N2 - N)/2 combinations (of just two together)

You can probably even make a simple excel program to concatenate them for you lol (if you really wanted to).

In practice I would probably just make the list and see if any combinations leap out. :P

Edited by CβL

hegemon crest

darling sphincter

live from the future (live as "live appearance", "see them live" etc)

thirsty pretzel

• Like 1

diamond-coloured cloud

adamantine eye

topknot halo

still and silent light

cloud sounds

NOTABLE - written on music stave with a couple of the letters as music notation, maybe a bass clef in the O.