The Corroboree
mindperformer

Animals taking psychoactive plants

wonderful thread. now, lets see if we cant set up a commitee to stop these pesky self-medicating animals... i just wont tollerate anymore of this nonsense! =P

Elephants eat shit loads of acacia.

... And stand out from other animals in more than just the way they treat their dead..

My blue cattle dog will frequently lick cane toads. He appears to get very intoxicated from them. His eyes go red and pupils like dinner plates. He seems to have a tolerance to the poison but appears to enjoy the small amounts of bufotenine present. Milk helps the foaming mouth, one day I though he was going to overdose. He was wrecked. Can't stop him though he keeps going back to them :)

• Like 3

^

Just like dobby!

I'm sure there must be another thread somewhere on the subject, as I remember posting this vid to it, and seeing a lot more examples.

Will have a hunt around and see if I can find it. The jaguars eating caapi has been most impressive to me. Makes a heck load of sense too.

Funniest example I've personally seen of animals taking psychoactive plants was when my cat became obsessed with a particular garden bed and used to spend ages rolling around in the dirt and then eating what I thought at the time were little clumps of dirt. Later I realised that was where I had grown valerian and she was actually digging up little left over pieces of the roots which had snapped off.

• Like 2

The 5 meo would get the doggy happy.

Edited by wert

My dog used to lick his own junk a lot, that made him pretty happy.

• Like 3