The Corroboree
mindperformer

Animals taking psychoactive plants

There are not only the psychoactive animals, but also many animals taking psychoactive plants.

A highly recommendable book: "Animals and Psychedelics" by Giorgio Samorini

Goats "discovered" Coffee (Coffea arabica) and Kath (Catha edulis). In either case shepherds in Ethiopia observed that their goats were very active after eating coffee-berries or kath-leaves and also tasted the plants...

Goats, but also dogs like to eat Psilocybe sp. mushrooms and mescalbean- shrubs are often visited (and their berries eaten) by goats.

Cats have many drugs like valerian (Valeriana officinalis), cat thyme (Teucrium marum)

Teucrium marum is also tranquilizing and nervine on humans and contains nepetalactones:

2a3lhj.jpg

and also catnips (Nepeta cataria, N. fassenii, N. tuberosa), matatabi (Actinidia polygama, the most potent) among others.

Reindeers like the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) and literally hunt it because of the intoxication.

Chipmunks, squirrels and cariboos also like to eat the fly agaric.

Birds:

American robins and other birds intoxicate themselfes with Christmas berries, toyon and firethorn.

The nearly extinct pink dove from Mauritius intoxicates itself with fandamon berries and rotate on the earth. Humans have introduced the mongoose on the island of Mauritius and so the intoxicated doves were easy meat for them...

Bighorn sheeps eat narcotic lichens in canada.

Then there are the famous koalas with their eucalyptus.

Iboga-root (Tabernanthe iboga) is eaten (and perhaps discovered) by boars and gorillas.

Kava (Piper methysticum)- roots are excavated and eaten by mice (Rattus exculans).

Cannabis is eaten by cows, horses, deers, mice, lambs, stags, monkeys and so on.

Psychoactive cacti (Astrophytum myriostigma) are eaten by prairie hares.

The morning glory (Ipomoea violacea) is eaten by mice and mongooses.

There are also many insects which intoxicate themselves by narcotic nectar from some orchids...

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 7

and a few more to add to the list as well!

bear eats amanitas:

jaguar eats ayahuasca:

Edited by inpsyght
  • Like 2

nice web, mister crack spider

Awesome vids.

Hahaha crack spider.

Classic

^

OMG!

I was thinking the exact same thing Dood

Hmmm. I wonder if the reason nepetalactone is inactive in humans is because we have an enzyme or so that quickly disables it, while it's not present in cats. A cross-reference would identify some likely candidates. Then disabling those enzymes could enable its activity.
Random thought. :)

Goats and horses love Erythrina leaves - not sure what species - one of the smooth-barked large leaved ones.

Moose's in Scandinavia enjoy eating apples that are fermenting on the tree/ground and getting drunk:

the rainbow lorikeets get sooo smashed on the custard apples @ work they fall out the trees 4 real!! also they get ''drunk'' on the native flowers . [ grevilleas, bottlebush etc]

wat bout the grubs and snails smashing my brugmansias??

oh I just saw this

A highly recommendable book: "Animals and Psychedelics" by Giorgio Samorini

fuck this, samorini is a rip off that stole everything from Siegal giving a simple reference, whereas the whole book is a rip off of INTOXICATION

When I bought Samorini's book, it had a card that he gave credit to Siegal for most of the content of his book, that the book company had to include because of law suit. Unfortunately I lost this card.

This book Animals and Psychedelics, with the catchy title, more people have to know, was ripped off Siegal's book

So recommend AGAINST buying Animals and Psychedelics , Intoxication doesn't have a hip cover, but its the real thing.

I have a low appreciation for Samorini, yeah I admit

In the heat of Queensland summers the Bottle brush tree (Callistemon) flower nectar ferments and I have picked up Rainbow Lorikeets from the gutter thinking that they were hit by a car and dead, only to have them try and fly off but can't because they are rotten drunk. They also are extremely loud when drunk.

Edited by Leaves

fascinating, I never heard of this before.

Epipactis helleborine intoxicates wasps with oxycodone, alcohol and indoles in its nectar.

Dolphins using pufferfish to get high.

My old dog ate about 15 large subs once, i really shit myself to begin with but observed that it didnt change her behaviour much at all, she just seemed a little evasive and preoccupied, if I hadnt busted her eating the subs I probably wouldnt have recognised any symptoms, dare to say that it seemed to not affect my dog really at all, wonder if there are any other careless dog owners like myself?