The Corroboree

Question

I have been asked to see if someone can ID this cacti. I have asked for more clear photos but I havent recieved them as yet.

I really have no idea on this one :unsure:

post-4489-0-11296500-1346400439_thumb.jppost-4489-0-66500800-1346400381_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-66500800-1346400381_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-11296500-1346400439_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-66500800-1346400381_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-11296500-1346400439_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Hard to tell from my phone but not a trich

I dont think its a Trich either because its a little bit too wide. Tend to think it could be Browningia chlorocarpa or something similar but need better pics to say for sure.

Cereus?

• Like 1

Good thinking, B! At first i considered Cereus Aethiops to be an option but arent the ribs a bit too broad for that? But it could be a possible candidate too...

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

The top view I feel could pass for a cereus , but yeh, from the side view the ribs do seem too "broad".

Yeah you know, the more i look at it, the more i get the impression that the spination is actually more typical for pachycereus. Maybe Grandis or the northern form of pectin-aboriginum. The spination doesnt fit for Cereus Aethiops.

maybe a Stenocereus ?

but yeh, Pachycereus is lookin the goods too

Edited by mr b.caapi

Actually thought it couldnt be one as it lacks the characteristic coloration but larger specimens sometimes dont show that. Since the picture isnt that good i am really not sure about it. Spination would actually fit and the rib shape isnt that far off either. So i really consider this to be an option. Theres two Polaskias, chende and chichipe. The dark blue tone would fit better for chende but the spination looks more like chichiqe. Maybe got some better pics?

Btw, now that you mentioned it i think i can see the typical V pattern on the older growth so i think that flumsquid could have nailed it there.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Weird, looks like a form of T. tercheckii to me.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Thanks for the input guys.

They haven't supplied any new photos as seems to be the way these things play out when they find out it might not be active they just disappear. I suppose the positive from this is thanks to you guys my cacti knowledge continues to grow as I have looked at photos and read descriptions of all of the cacti mentioned in this thread :)

Cheers

Got

I'd be inclined to agree with micromegas. Looks like a nice fat peruvianus.

Need to see better pics before i can say anything more. Especially from the Areoles and the spines plus a better topview with natural colors. I dont think that the flat and barely visible areoles and the general spination are typical for trichocereus but i can certainly see some similarities and wouldnt want to rule it out right away. At this point, it could be pretty much everything. A fat Pachycereus, a fat polaskia, a Stenocereus, a weird terscheckii, a weird Peruvianus and and and. Gotta see more pics.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

more photos. need to see habit of mature plant or flowers.