The Corroboree
mindperformer

Acacia acuminata

Discussion needs to return to hakuna matata Acacia acuminata.

back yard acuminata, grown from tube-stock, 2 yrs in the ground, 2 m high so far :lol:

post-6036-0-80656700-1353875885_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-80656700-1353875885_thumb.jpg

post-6036-0-80656700-1353875885_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

wow- this is a big one- for a 2 year old

wow- this is a big one- for a 2 year old

I had the impression that acuminata is rather slow or spindly growing. An acacia longifolia planted at the same time with similar size put in comparison 3x the amount of "bio-mass" on.

• Like 1

I've seen Reptyle naked. He has a huge wanger.

"I don't know why he needs religion or vagine? oh, co-c-ah-oh-ka-al-ka-HOLIDAY!I do ya need a vaccine? like such sharp teeth! steel capped snake shoes, bangin' da bongin!"

thanks, that's a line from the song "Twat JOB 11:22" from my latest E.P. "Exploit the Money Shot" on the "ShimShoop" label.

and on that note i will cease attending the SAB pissing pole and hope that all ya'll can see the non-sense you vomit though my example.haha...

i am going now to build a transcendent spheric cosmos, out of recycled pallets.

When is this happening exactly?

back yard acuminata, grown from tube-stock, 2 yrs in the ground, 2 m high so far :lol:

Very nice! Encouraged me as I have been scoping out where to put some of my seedlings in the ground and yours seems to be doing well even right by the fence (I guess the long roots help? maybe I should see what your fence looks like in 10 years actually lol :). Also I wasn't sure how quickly they grew and that looks pretty satisfactory to me. I have some floribunda going too, and yeah it grows much faster.

Can you tell me if the hooks on the tips of the leaves on yours die back if it is dehydrated? I bought an Acacia sapling I am sure is acuminata, except compared to my smaller seedlings it is lacking the hooks on the leaves, but the person I got it from said they had been away for a few weeks and no water so I wondered if that was why. Some of your leaves look similar but difficult to tell for certain, so if you could tell me that would be great. :)

What age do people reckon is best to get them in the ground?

maybe they grow a bit faster in the climate of WA? Do you know whats the main characteristics of the climate in its habitat?

The climate in WA is subtropical with similar rainfall to the middle east coast right?

Edited by mindperformer

"a careless depletion of the trees in nature." we will see allot more of this when our oh-so-smart dumbass .gov bans growing these wonderful tree's. once again, nature, animals and innocent people will be the victims.

Terrible thread is terrible

But some great info regarding the plant in between the squabbling... Maybe mods can split it into Info in the plant and Info on the dramas happening re N NSW harvesting etc..

D00d

• Like 1

Can you tell me if the hooks on the tips of the leaves on yours die back if it is dehydrated? I bought an Acacia sapling I am sure is acuminata, except compared to my smaller seedlings it is lacking the hooks on the leaves, but the person I got it from said they had been away for a few weeks and no water so I wondered if that was why. Some of your leaves look similar but difficult to tell for certain, so if you could tell me that would be great. :)

ok just had a look again. it seems the tips are the first area to turn brown when dehydrated, hence could snap of maybe. only a few very old/low and discolored phyllodes on that tree are missing the hooked tip. :)

• Like 1

dont you all act like butthurt. the thread is fine.

when do we put acuminatas in the ground.

I have 10 acuminata seeds currently in my possession to sow. Just wondering what some tried and tested methods people have used on here for germination? Last batch I boiled for 10mins, sowed and then had only one almost germinate lol. ( got that method here )

Im tempted to just try an overnight soak and see how that goes.

Ive been clipping the edge of the seed with nail clippers then overnight soaking.

Im only just starting to learning the ways of the wattles

Ive been getting 50% germ rates

you can also rasp the seed with a file or sandpaper,

soak it in water for 24 hours

and sow it in sandy soil mix with good drainage

but I've also tried the nail-clipper method, which also works perfect

Edited by mindperformer

Last batch I boiled for 10mins, sowed and then had only one almost germinate lol. ( got that method here )

you cooked 'em! The site you quoted says 1minute at boiling. For that size acacia seed, I would actually go

about 40 seconds.

IMO for small amounts of seed, nicking then soaking for 8 hours is much more efficient.

Just a soak is not going to do it- there needs to be some sort of treatment first to break the inbuilt "hardcoat"

dormancy factor.

Let me know if you run outa seeds & I'll send you some freshies.

I didn't use boiling water, but 70°C,

although I think most acacias will survive boiling for a very short time

somebody tried soaking them in smoke-water (imitates bush fire)?

Edited by mindperformer

what they rely on with a bushfire is the short sharp heat event to crack their hard seed coat.

Thats what the boiling water replicates.

They are not a species that need the butenolide chemical present in smoke (and smoke water) to germinate.

I see, didn't know exactly, as you have many species in Oz which need the butenolide-smoke compounds

Edited by mindperformer

you cooked 'em! The site you quoted says 1minute at boiling. For that size acacia seed, I would actually go

about 40 seconds.

IMO for small amounts of seed, nicking then soaking for 8 hours is much more efficient.

Just a soak is not going to do it- there needs to be some sort of treatment first to break the inbuilt "hardcoat"

dormancy factor.

Let me know if you run outa seeds & I'll send you some freshies.

Haha! Whoops yep I'd say I probably did cook them now I read that again.

Think I'll give the nick and a soak a try sometime this week. Thanks for the offer Lokstok I'll let you know how I get on.

I've used smoke water - I lit a little fire, got a cloth wet and waved it through the smoke for a while, then washed it in a cup of water - works wonders, the water smells like my camping gear, and my germ rates went up from a dismal 5% or so to 50%+

I gently nicked the side of the seed, then soaked in cold smoke water till the seed swelled. For the seeds that didn't swell, I re-nicked and soaked again. I don't know if you can drown a seed, but i've had some soaking for 2 weeks now and they've only just swollen.

I need to find a hundred or so Acuminata seeds - I have 100 sandalwood seeds that need companions... anyone interested in trading some seed?

Germinating these seeds is too easy. Boil the kettle, wait until the water stops boiling. Pour water over seeds and leave overnight. The seeds will swell. Sow in the morning and keep moist. In 14 days there should be some action.

It's a method of scarification. There's a few ways but this is simple and effective.

A. acuminata also responds well to pruning over 2 years old. New growth seems to take a few weeks to commence.

• Like 1

I use the bring to a boil over 7-10 minutes method. Then soak 1-2 days in water. Usually 80-90% germination on most species within a few days.

I'm glad the weirdos have gone quiet for now :).

maybe they grow a bit faster in the climate of WA? Do you know whats the main characteristics of the climate in its habitat?

The climate in WA is subtropical with similar rainfall to the middle east coast right?

No - it is a Mediterranean climate with a declining rainfall (approx. 30% decline since the 1970's)

I understand

...and looked on the climate maps, so there are drier, cooler winters in WA

I didn't know that the rainfall is steadily declining, this could be a problem for new growth

Edited by mindperformer