The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

New Zealand Yam Oxalis tuberosa

I tried them a few years ago, popped them in the fridge over summer & planted out in autumn.

They suffered from a horrendous rust infection almost from word go, as do most Oxalis spp around here.

They also didn't seem to like the arse about photo period, they kept trying to put on growth when i needed to get them back into the fridge, the days are getting longer, i should be growing.

so treat like normal spuds not like sweet potatoes in the subtropics?

interested in getting some if there any decent of a cropper for our climate..

I hadn't thought about photoperiod Shortly. Spacemonk yes I was thinking as a potato substitute. I got them from a fruit and veg shop in Brissy so they are around at the moment. Not cheap but. They remind me of Jerusalem artichokes. I might try a few in pots in a cool shaded area of the yard over summer. Then put some fresh tubers down in Autumn in the ground and see if they want to go to sleep or not. Its worth a shot as I believe they are a very good nitrogen fixing crop. (apparently have to look into that just what I was told)

I grew a big patch of them last summer, they did really well, 1-1.5 kilo of yams per plant.

I never bothered to refrigerate my seed-yams, just left them in a box in the garden shed for around a month.

They seem to take off alot faster if you let the sprouts grow quite long before planting.

And plant the yam with the majority of sprouts facing up so they don't get confused.

Also, I would only grow them in pots if I HAD to.

If you have a vege plot or a spare piece of ground you can use, that would be a much better option as the space underground that they have access to will directly affect the size and the quantity of yams you get.