The Corroboree
Savage Gardener

Chacruna growing conditions

Anyone care to share some advice regarding optimal growing conditions for the Psychotria Viridis "Shipibo" cutting I recently obtained?

It is doing fine after potting up, I'm just wondering what others have found to be most successful from experience?

My Caapi is going absolutely nuts!

I keep them in a little greenhouse or under a pergola in partial sunlight during the day and take them both indoors at night to avoid any potential frost...

Anyway, if any of that sounds wrong or if there is some better practices I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

Stevie-leigh :lol:

• Like 1

I'm yet to plant out my first of these (waiting a few more weeks til it's officially Spring), so I can't offer any advice based on experience.

There seems to be some useful info here though: http://www.kadasgard...m/Pviridis.html

And there's plenty of more knowledgeable members on here who I'm sure can help out with more specific and detailed info. I'll be watching this space also haha :-)

mini hot house looks the go.

for sure, They dig the warm humid temperatures and will flourish under high humidity. They ar also very tolerant to drought as i went away and left my psychotrias in my sisters care and came back to my viridis and alba compleyelu dried and shrivveled except a few touches of green. Vigorous watering for a week and she threw new shoots everywhere.

They are a very tolerant plant and you should have no troubles finding it a happy environments :)

They ar also very tolerant to drought as i went away and left my psychotrias in my sisters care and came back to my viridis and alba compleyelu dried and shrivveled except a few touches of green. Vigorous watering for a week and she threw new shoots everywhere.

Thanks Dark Spark...

There seems to be some useful info here though: http://www.kadasgard...m/Pviridis.html

I checked out the link gtarman link posted and found this,

"Keep moist at all times. Psychotira viridis can handle some overwatering, and brief dryness."

Appreciate the input guys :wink: Have a nice weekend

Stevie

• Like 1

mini hot house looks the go.

I got one the other week when you suggested from Crazy Clarks Mick.

I still have those Cumquats frozen for y'all too....

• Like 1

i stay out, because i do them differently, but all said here is good advice.

different protocols can still lead to similar goals. :)

always a good idea to search the site for old post's with the same nature.

psychotria viridis can be dead above ground, and all dried up, but will reshoot from the roots if watered and it's warm.

but plant's which suffer from root rot, will never recover or reshoot.

thank good p. viridis is very tolerant of over watering.

but plant's which suffer from root rot, will never recover or reshoot.

thank good p. viridis is very tolerant of over watering.

Dagnabbit!!! think you just explained why mine hasn't done much for a while

overwatered it last summer and I thought it may have been on the brink of recovery but any new growth ( and there hasnt been much) seems to not quite shoot properly almost like leaves are stuck together :scratchhead: and they have a purplish tinge as of this week :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Edited by eatingsand

Dagnabbit!!! think you just explained why mine hasn't done much for a while

overwatered it last summer and I thought it may have been on the brink of recovery but any new growth ( and there hasnt been much) seems to not quite shoot properly almost like leaves are stuck together :scratchhead: and they have a purplish tinge as of this week :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

you are very good, purplish tinge could be an indicator of, the plant being not happy, regarding the roots.

i suggest, take leaf cuttings (bottom heat needed at this time of the year), to get new plants.

and repot your old plant with fresh potting mix.

often, new happy plants can outgrow, the old damaged ones.

all of us fucked up at the beginning, just try again, that's why i prefere plants over humans.

plants always give me another chance!!! :)

• Like 4

Had just taken some leaf cuttings and a couple of thin stem cuttings this morning in a plastic lidded seedling tray thingy, so I appreciate the advice about the need for bottom heat-cheers planthelper and i had replanted the mama a coulple of weeks ago so I wondered if maybe the purple tinge was perhaps stress from the replanting combined with the unhappy roots..

'Magyvered' myself a heatpad out of an upsidedown dinner plate sitting on a pizza stone perched on a couple of eggcups standing over an old coffee warmer pad sitting on a saucer, all sitting on the kitchen bench under a skylight :) (do cuttings need much light?)

Esselbee, I wish I had some advice to give you other than maybe take some leaf cuttings while the mama's going strong instead of waiting until I have...

but have you removed most of the old potting mix aswell when you repotted your mama?

it's against the etiquette of remote viewers, to have a perv, so i can't have a look at your mama, your other mama might just stand next to your plant, changing cloths...

ok, back to normal, if a plant doesn't improofe much after repotting, than there must be a reason for it.

transplant shock can be ruled out unless, you dropped the plant, or have treated her extreemly rough, whilst repotting.

sometimes, the new and the old potting mix clash with each other. that happens if your old potting mix and the new one have, different, STRUCTURE, DRAINAGE PROPERTIES, and WATER HOLDING CAPACETIES!!!

with some plants this is serious at times, like with catha edulis.

the next thing is that, and i think this could be the case with your mother plant, that it either has soggy wet feet (with always soggy staying soil) or it has too dry feet (pottingmix turned hydrophopic, and the roots are permanantly too dry).

you said you water a lot so it's most likely, the 1st scenario, soggy soil & damaged roots.

if you remove all or most of the too wet soil, and replace all with fresh pottingmix, the viridis will heal.

if you only repot, the soggy soil will stay soggy, and the plant/roots will not be able to heal.

Edited by planthelper

okeedoekee, I really appreciate your advice, will carefully repot tomorrow in fresh potting mix....I reckon you are spot-on , it would have been soggy wet feet for too long and then maybe not enough moisture since I repotted her( trying to avoid my previous mistake)....but yeh nothing has completely sprouted for a long time-sob, sob, sob

edit did use fresh tiptop potting mix for repotting and apart from the water torture I have always treated my mama well- no dropping

Edited by eatingsand

Awesome thread - Mine have suffered both fates, too wet, rotten roots, and then too dry! They were my first plants pretty much so they copped the worst of my learning curve... Poor darlings are hangin in there though, got em in a humidity tent. Haven't done the repot ever so I think i'll be doing that tonight.

Is it worth, unpotting, then loosening all the dirt off in a bucket of water? Then re-planting in a well draining (got that perfect now) damp but not wet (and got that down pat too) potting mix? Or do i just gently shake off as much dirt as i can then re-pot?

Have any of you used pumice in your mixes? I can't seem to find pumice to replace the perlite (which always seems to work it's way to the top of the pot) Is it worth hunting down?

Is it worth, unpotting, then loosening all the dirt off in a bucket of water? Then re-planting in a well draining (got that perfect now) damp but not wet (and got that down pat too) potting mix? Or do i just gently shake off as much dirt as i can then re-pot?

Have any of you used pumice in your mixes? I can't seem to find pumice to replace the perlite (which always seems to work it's way to the top of the pot) Is it worth hunting down?

i prefere just to shake off most of the soil, and when doing so, i try to keep the rootmass in a "nice shape" (avoid the roots from flatening out).

the bucket of water methode, will produce a flattend out rootball, but will get rid of more excisting soil.

the last one is only better if you have a fungus gnats infection, or other soil diseases.

if you suspect fungus gnat problems, dip the root ball into a water pyrethrum mixture, for a while, than flush with water, than re pot, good luck.

Rippa thanks - I have pyrethrum, and gnats on those 2 plants... so i think that's what I'll do, those 2 plants were the first source of those pesky little insects I had. Cheers!