The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

Grafting stock ID?

Question

My friend gave me this graft for my 21st birthday.

I was just wondering if anyone recognised the stock, as he didnt know what it was but has used it for several grafts, and has found it to be quite succesful for some species.

I'm pretty sure the loph is a single head, will be nice to see how this one pans out.

8 answers to this question

looks like a mutant form of something. spines remind me a little of stenocerues but I am prolly wrong about the spp. Nice one though!!!

Could it be Austrocylindropuntia cylindrica mostrose?

Edited by Snowfella

Hmm, could it be the standard form, as Solomon has the monstrose and its all wavey like a crest.

Definitely something in the opuntoid group of the cylindrical/columnar variety. Does look similar to one I have, which may well be the exact one that Snowfella mentioned.

• Like 1

Could also be Cylindropuntia Imbricata...Dont think that this is a monstrose of some sort. Just a very thick plant. Most of the cylindrical Opuntias are very similar so you´ll have to wait for the flower. Have a mature flowering Imbricata in the garden right now and it flowers kinda pink/purple. Most Stems are a bit thinner than this one but i guess it depends on what age it has been cut.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah this was a cutting from a mature multi-headed plant.

It was a very fast rooter too, will be interesting to see how quickly the loph grows.

They are a great grafting stock if the graft was done properly. Takes some time to get used grafting on them but they are pretty much similar to pereskiopsis.

Nice! Cheers for the info EG, i'll pester my mate for cuttings come spring and have a shot at grafting on them myself.