The Corroboree
Johnnyramone

Is it illegal to import magic mushroom growkits into Australia?

Given that magic mushrooms are illegal in Australia, the answer would be YES, its illegal to import magic mushroom kits into Oz.

:)

• Like 1

I think the document you're looking for is: Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956

Here is a link to a general page from AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service): http://www.aqis.gov....&LogSessionID=0

5. Any plants (or parts of plants, including seeds), fungi (or parts of fungi), and plant products that are prohibited under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 that are found by quarantine officers will be referred to the Australian Customs Service.

These are only the customs rules, once your import has been deemed to be restricted, you're then passed over to the legal system.

If you google 'AQIS' or 'Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service' - They have a searchable database

the actual items in the kit are legal however the spores them selves make the kit illegal. If you do buy the kit, it wont be picked up unless they manage to pick up the spores.

EDIT- Try finding a kit without spores if thats possible, there is a much higher chance it will pass.

however i dont recommend buying the kit with spores, you will most likely regret it.

Edited by ~Sneaky

dont think so sneaky. Many of those kits would contain prohibited import items other then spores. Like straw, some grains, other fungi growing on the substrate.

Edit: Not that spores are a prohibited import. Provided you have a microscope ;)

Edited by eatfoo

I don't know why you'd bother buying a kit.. From what I've seen, they're just a drastically overpriced combination of items you can buy locally..

Tubs -- Bunnings or any $2 shop

Substrates -- Bunnings or Nursery..

I will be the first to admit, I've had problems getting grains, but still -- you may as well buy locally rather than screw around importing.

I'm not sure what could possibly be in a growing kit (well, at least from what i've seen) that would make you want to order it from overseas, rather

than purchasing the items locally.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 2

im with syner why import it when you can go to bunnings and kmart you will get your setup at a fraction of the cost or put a post in the mycology section some one will sell you a kit but it would be uninoculated substrate (without spores) or a edible strain and would be much fresher and a much more chance its sterile than if you were to order overseas. buy a myco bag already colinated of omsource he would be the guy to talk to and have a go at growing edible one's

eatfoo, spores ARE a prohibited import.

• Like 2

I don't know why you'd bother buying a kit.. From what I've seen, they're just a drastically overpriced combination of items you can buy locally..

Tubs -- Bunnings or any $2 shop

Substrates -- Bunnings or Nursery..

I will be the first to admit, I've had problems getting grains, but still -- you may as well buy locally rather than screw around importing.

I'm not sure what could possibly be in a growing kit (well, at least from what i've seen) that would make you want to order it from overseas, rather

than purchasing the items locally.

Pretty much this. Far better to start from scratch.

As for grains, you can get the good stuff (ie rye grain) from any organic food/supply store. (non-organic rye may be treated with antifungal preservatives)

As everybody has spelled out - build your own setup and obtain your spores\culture locally. The shroomery is filled with dozens of vouched for setups and techniques for cultivating, pick one that suits you and do it from scratch. I can't imagine any 'grow kit' that will out perform a well planned and constructed setup, and it's guaranteed to be cheaper.

Tubs can be bought cheaply to use as incubators and fruiting chambers, humidity\heat can be provided multiple different ways (i.e. reservoir of water under a thick layer of clay balls with an aquarium heater + air stones n pump), and the more you put into your construction the easier time you'll have learning the ropes of the first few grow attempts.

...and if you're planning on growing and fruiting jars as opposed to bulk substrate, invest the money towards a pressure cooker and use liquid culture instead of spores if possible. When growing bulk you only need the one out of five jars to colonise without contam, but if you plan to fruit from jars each cake you lose to contam is potentially 200g fresh over three flushes lost.

Funnily enough I've never grown myself, but I've seen the process done extensively by many different people and the one who invested the most time\energy\money into building the setup was the most rewarded with less hassles from the beginning.