The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Websitehelp needed

Hi Guys, it finally happened. The EG has made first contact with Dreamweaver and is working on a few projects. One small step for mankind but a giant step for the Eg. But i´m actually really a websitenoob and so i could really need a little bit of Advice for some of my projects. I would also greatly appreciate some help with Logo or Banner creating as i havent figured out how to make them yet and because i have about the same feeling for creating art as an retarded penguin. Got me Photoshop but it will take me a few more months to get something good done. But it would be great to get some of the sites online soon to make sure they get some traffic.

In the next months or so, i am working on a few cactus related sites and some about plant growing in general, that will also contain a forum. A large part of this site should contain some tutorials about raising plants from seed or propagating them by cutting. Some of the sites will be international, some others only for the german market. None of the sites could be seen as a competition to SAB. Just dont want to waste some of the domain names that i own and get used to working with websites. Like mentioned before, I would greatly appreciate all kind of input in these projects! At the moment, there are no firm plans or a timeline yet but i will definately get some of the planned projects done and could need some help with Tutorials, banners, pictures or logos showing general plants, ethnobotanical plants and/or cacti. Also i could need all kind of Advice about programming in general, uploading the site via ftp to the server, how to implement forum and shop software and similar things. I dont expect people to do the work for me; just point me into the right direction and i am happy to do the rest. If someone would like to add some content to the site in form of the mentioned tutorials or picture galleries, they are certainly very welcome to do so and every text that wasnt written by me will contain the name of the author. Certainly only if this is desired. Also i would appreciate if someone could have a look at some of the english content that i write sometimes, because i dont want them to be filled with spelling mistakes. I will certainly use some kind of spellingcheck software but it would still be great to get some feedback for words that are actually written correctly but arent very suitable in that context.

Alright guys, i know thats a huge mofo of a post but i just wanted to let you guys know im definately working on some things and would appreciate any Input you can give me. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3

I strongly recommend installing Wordpress on a test server and learning the basics; also have a look at the many and varied plugins that are available. When you want to customise a Wordpress theme, then you can bother digging into the code in Dreamweaver (although... that's close to the bottom of my list of preferred text editors... try Coda, Textmate, or Notepad++). But you could spend a year building the framework for a site in php (I just have!) and then find that there's a WP plugin+theme that does almost the same thing. Don't reinvent the wheel.

If you want a forum, then software such as the one we are in right now, or there are many others (some free), that handle it all for you. Use what's available :).

Hi Occidentalis, thanks for your input in this. I´ve already downloaded a few wordpress templates but pretty much failed to import them into dreamweaver in a way that they complete page is there. Will try to get it to work though. I seriously think about making a few blogs about diffrent themes and use wordpress for that. But i wanna host it on my own server because that gives me more control.

I cant really spend money on the forum software so i would actually go with a free one first. Are they are secutity issue?

you wont import them into dreamweaver. Wordpress is a third party content management system (CMS) which pretty much designs the site for you all you need to do is input the data and it build all the code for you. The good thing about wordpress is that it automatically generates links wetween the pages and so forth. How many pages of tutorials etc are you expecting to have on the site ? If there is going to be many a simple database driven site may be in order. You could then just have the one page for displaying tutorials but it can load the various tutorials from the database, otherwise you would need to create individual pages for each. This would be a very simple database and myself or 2deep(probably a better option) could easily get it setup for easy data input and output so that you would just need to load up a web page (kind of like the user control panel on here) and add tutorials or whatever.

I guess i would like to offer some more sound advice but first i need to know the full scope of the job to figure out what software options would be most suitable.

I would be most happy to offer my services to helping you get things running even if it is just advice on how to install the various software packages etc.

Wordpress can be installed through your Cpanel account (softaculous or another software installer) likewise with forums, except for IPB it is pay to use, but i find phpbb to be ok anyway. IPB is a much cleaner easier to use system though (what SAB uses)

• Like 1