The Corroboree
santiago

Rate a BEER @ sab.com (shaman-australis.com)

Tonight i bought a few random beers. Variety's that i have never tried. I must say i am rather disappointed. On to that soon.....

As a topic starter im ashamed i many ways to start it. Im afraid it's a bit too commercial and also not in keeping with the role that we play in civilised societ as an alternative to the mostly dead end cul -de -sac which can be bourbon wine beer or simply as some call booze.

Yet my point aint a in deep debate on the pro's and cons of life and your method of inebriation. Trust me, both sides give me the shits. Many a night i have gone without a drink and i sometimes withdraw towards those who have had one to many simply by smell and fear alone, still after a hard days work personally i find a beer a simple and gratifying award. Especially if you have a late finish for example and you are still hyped up from the coffee and the days stresses etc etc.

Anyway, its an easy topic. Just rate your beer out of 10. If you wish a small comment. Also + - if time permits, ie a good and a bad beer.

ie

EMU EXPORT - 9/10 (Perfecty balanced between nuttiness, dry and sweet,)

MATSO'S MANGO BEER 4/10 (Sweet, low carbonation, high reputation beer but under scores my palate by a long long way)

Doesnt matter this is the thread for the common man and woman.

You are the expert tonight......

Little creatures pale ale and Fat yack pale ale are the two greatest beers ever made.

edit and in winter Coopers Best Extra stout is the Shizzlle

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2

Coopers Pale Ale. 9/10 mmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 3

time for me to make my usual appearance of disagreement with consensus: little creatures is downright disgusting. in my honest and possibly not so humble opinion. i hate bitters. they all just taste like vb to me. if you like vb then i am at a loss. but you know, it's your life, man.

onto the topic at hand, i actually really like sumo's choice. it's cheap and crap, in that it has no taste or substance, but that's what i want. it's basically water with alcohol in it. perfect delivery system, imo.

if i am to force myself to actually appreciate the TASTE of a beer (it's really the effect i prefer, usually), then i must recommend Fraoch scottish heather ale. druid as fuck. my name means druid and my ancestors are scottish so maybe it's in my bonnie blood but i think this stuff is really cool. expensive outside it's caledonian heartland though.

something cheap that does have a taste is tsingtao. it's made of rice (so is budweiser) which makes it sort of sweet and nutty but i like that.

sorry santi if my ranting is too long so for TLDR's sake:

little creatures anything: 3/10

sumo's choice: 6.5/10

fraoch: 8.5/10

tsingtao: 7/10

victorian era bitter: i/10

Coopers Pale ale 8/10

Coopers Sparkling ale 9/10

Coopers Vintage ale 9/10

the finest beer brewer in Australia.

• Like 1

VB 9 / 10 (i know some people will hate on me for this, but thisi s the standard to which i old all other beers. perfect bitterness)

jameson raspberry alle 7 / 10 ; surprisingly tasty and not too sweet, perhaps the fruit added early so as to ferment the natural sugars. nice summer beer.

any 'smoke beer': 0 / 10 . i'm not sure how those europeans drink this business, literally tastes like ham.

a bottle shop nearby sells mixed 6 /12 /24 packs of boutique beers at a discount rate, so i often used to go ands mix and match many for a sample. i find a lot of them too sweet, like little creaters pale ale. also my next ddoor neighbour is a semi-proffesional microbrewer, with his brew in a few pubs around town, ive been meaning to ask him for a sample or at least what pubs he is in, would be interesting. i love beer.

i really only drink coopers sparkling ale (coopers 'red' as the local only knows it, victorians :rolleyes: ),

sometimes i'll go a boags if i'm feeling fancy,

i really don't mind a cider in summer though, mercury dry's the choice there

wow great ratings...i kind of get the beer delivery method frank, simple adulterated yeast water, simple and pure without the sales frills of so called souped up yuppie beers aka kind of like lil creatures of which i find disgusting also...like drinking a bottle of fruity sulfur beers.

ginger beer is cool too if ya like it rate it, please dont rate wines (even though ginger beer technically is wine thats ok)

Little creatures pale ale and Fat yack pale ale are the two greatest beers ever made.

edit and in winter Coopers Best Extra stout is the Shizzlle

You my friend, have a fucking superb taste in beer.

• Like 2

Good to see coopers and little creatures getting the props they deserve, my 2 favourite brewers by a long shot!!

• Like 1

Only drink Australian beer these days (with the exception of Montieths). Have been working my way through the Aussie Top 100 book (http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/03/the-critics-choice-australias-best-beers-2/) from last year and the year before, and have tasted probably 2/3 of them.

My regular rotation:

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale 9/10

Little Creatures Pale Ale (8/10)

Little Creatures Rogers Beer (Mid-strength) 8/10

Coopers Best Extra Stout (9/10)

Coopers Sparkling Ale (7.5/10)

Montieths Winter Ale (9/10)

I enjoy Coopers in general, plus they're relatively inexpensive.

So you don't like Hops?

as far as i can tell. bitter = unpleasant. i dont see anyone eating bicarb. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Coopers

Fat Yak

Little Creatures

etc

ITT: hipsters!

on that note, however, i remembered that my favourite used to be james squire's golden ale (before their disgusting new ad campaign, fuck that shit is lame...)

beerwise however: another 7.5/10

also i think the standard is carlton. i allus has wan at eleven! perfect average 5/10.

with all things i believe in order to rate them any higher than 8 they must be heaven on earth, so i find people rating their bog standard $2 pot piss as 90% hilarious :blink: . but as i said, to each their own. :innocent_n:

• Like 1

beer... ewwww all i drink now days is cider :P

• Like 1

Hops isn't just bitter its also that bouquet of fruit flavours you taste in Pale ales of decent merit. One day I will take a photo of some of the beer bottles under the house for anyone interested.

• Like 1

I don't buy beer anymore, I homebrew.. currently drinking

Alaskin ice beer

Blackrock apple cider

Coopers IPA

About to lay down an 'old' with a huge malty whack.. anything I buy just doesn't compare to what i brew, at all...

If I buy beer for the bottles, its a cleanskin carton from liquorland. $30 for a case of stubbies, preservative free, and rivalling any other Aussie summer beer I've tasted

• Like 2

If I'm having a big session, and just want a reasonably priced beer that's easy to drink, I'll usually grab a European or Asian lager (such as Heineken, Lowenbrau, Becks, Tsingtao, Chang, etc.). If I feel like splashing out a bit, or I'm only grabbing a six-pack or something, I'll grab a nice Australian beer (e.g. James Squire Amber Ale, James Boags Premium or Little Creatures Pale Ale) or try out a craft/boutique beer that catches my eye. Some I have tried in recent times:

Knappstein Reserve Lager - 8.5/10 - Brewed with Nelson Sauvignon hops which give it an almost wine like taste. My girlfriend is usually a wine drinker and she liked the taste even though she usually hates beer.

White Rabbit White Ale - 9/10 - Nice light, fruity beer. Easy to drink. The dark ale isn't too bad either.

Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale (2012) - 8/10 - Darker beer with a cross between a slight toffee sort of sweetness and a fruity hops taste. Good for those who like an extra bit of kick (7.5%).

Murray's Whale Ale - 8/10 - Nice malty wheat beer.

Vale Ale - 7.5/10 - Good fruity pale ale. Would still prefer Little Creatures.

Bee Sting Honey Wheat Beer - 7.5/10 - Nice wheat beer with fruit and honey flavours. Gets a bit too sweet after a while IMO.

There are more but I can't remember them right now.

• Like 2

homebrew(hb) is where it's at ;0.......

hands down dead set, with practice and reading hb's kill the idea of buying beer. Then you start to wonder about all grain concoctions...........then the bug bites you.........all over.

the list of twists on flavour, hopping , herbs added :P , has much to be desired over the Lion Nathan ausieale.

your question santi is not specifying a sole oz fav or hb or overseas brew......it confused me.........because i'm pissed right now :wink:

it's a fair and valid topic me thinks tho............i mean some of us here chooses to abuse beer/ale/mead/sly grog when we choose.......and we do it responsibly.

i'll never forget my first coopers ale hb kit :wub: .......to this day i've never burst a bottle because ov overpriming(thanks to my alco dad for that tip)

Enough ranting-the first sign of inebriation-:

Oz beer:

-cheap we are going slabs tonight WHOA- boags draught

-mid range price only one slab tonight - /sparkling ale coopers brewery

- occasional treat - mountain goat or a grand ridge styling /pale ale little creatures

weirder beer i've had lately - Harrington's Wobbly Boot Porter.....an easy drinking , darker brew. noice.

ciders - coldstream apple cider - yum

h/b - any wheat beer plus a choice herb infusion is my favourite aussie beer.

*Dio funny you say VB....i know many will scoff at you..(i'm one of them, heeheee) but once upon a time VB, was actually quite not bad but today's recipe is a chemists brew lacking any substance but quick to turn it over into sales....sad really. That's where micro/boutique beers come into play god bless them.

As you can tell, i could go on about backyarders, micro and boutique, then there's a whole armada of overseas/international brews........but in the name of entheobotanist purist's everywhere...i'll desist presently and leave yous muthas with this

A good beer will not leave you with a devastating hangover_eg h/b

A good beer will make you horny and finally

A good beer is beer

• Like 3

There can be only one- coopers sparkling ale 10/10 the ONLY beer I would specifically set out to buy. Tasty, fresh and gets you totally munted.

Anyone who likes ginger beer would like this beer I'm thinking.

Tiger- 7.5/10. Easy to drink a lot of, refreshing.

Lol@ good beer makes you horny. I guess that's one quality of beer that is under appreciated. It's just whether or not your able to "rise" to the occasion, a persistent problem I have under the influence of alcohol.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 3

I gave Coopers sparkling a 9/10 , the only reason being is that there could be a better beer out there, I just havnt found it yet :wink:

• Like 2

Sadly, I appear to be allergic to beer, in that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't consume much more than two pints of anything before being violently sick, it was quite a difficult thing for me growing up in a beer drinking society where your manhood was measured by the number of pints you could consume and still manage to steal an object from the pub without being caught (and we had no bags in which to hide stuff, so the guy who walked out draped in a curtain was legend forever!)

So I went to spirits, as the wine in pubs is pretty foul stuff. Spirits very nearly got me killed through overdose, and later on I turned to wine, which practically turned me into an alcoholic like my older brother, as it's fantastic stress relief and was so much fun to self-medicate! I used to get a couple of cases delivered to my door every month and me and my girl would get through two bottles most nights, ask me now what I was drinking I don't remember but Shiraz was always a winner for me.

Now I will have a beer very occasionally as to be friendly, but it has to be Coopers as everything else tastes like utter shite to me. You want a number? Okay, it gets a 10 as it's the only thing remotely palatable to an untrained palate.

I see no one has bothered to mention Belgium beers. Do yourself a favour and try as many as you can because the Belgiums treat beer like the french treat wine. my reccomendations - tripple karmalite, Duval, Duece really the choice is endless from beautiful chocolate ales to real fruit beers. mmmmmmm cant beat the belgiums

• Like 1

coopers sparkling gets my vote. It is brewed locally here in SA too.

Being bottle fermented, It is possible to utilise their famous yeast in your own homebrews too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VChrWf0I04o

9.5/10

Another favourite is vale dark ale ( from a boutique brewery in Mclaren vale - adelaide )

• Like 2