The Corroboree

http://articles.merc...14_DNL_artNew_1

A recently published Harvard University meta-analysis funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has concluded that children who live in areas with highly fluoridated water have "significantly lower" IQ scores than those who live in low fluoride areas.

In a 32-page report that can be downloaded free of charge from Environmental Health Perspectives, the researchers said:

"A recent report from the U.S. National Research Council (NRC 2006) concluded that adverse effects of high fluoride concentrations in drinking water may be of concern and that additional research is warranted. Fluoride may cause neurotoxicity in laboratory animals, including effects on learning and memory.

To summarize the available literature, we performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of published studies on increased fluoride exposure in drinking water and neurodevelopmental delays. We specifically targeted studies carried out in rural China that have not been widely disseminated, thus complementing the studies that have been included in previous reviews and risk assessment reports.

Findings from our meta-analyses of 27 studies published over 22 years suggest an inverse association between high fluoride exposure and children's intelligence. The results suggest that fluoride may be a developmental neurotoxicant that affects brain development at exposures much below those that can cause toxicity in adults.

Serum-fluoride concentrations associated with high intakes from drinking-water may exceed 1 mg/L, or 50 Smol/L, thus more than 1000-times the levels of some other neurotoxicants that cause neurodevelopmental damage. Supporting the plausibility of our findings, rats exposed to 1 ppm (50 Smol/L) of water-fluoride for one year showed morphological alterations in the brain and increased levels of aluminum in brain tissue compared with controls.

In conclusion, our results support the possibility of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children's neurodevelopment.

Future research should formally evaluate dose-response relations based on individual-level measures of exposure over time, including more precise prenatal exposure assessment and more extensive standardized measures of neurobehavioral performance, in addition to improving assessment and control of potential confounders."

• Like 1

And thats why 'they' put it in our drinking water.

:)

And that's one reason, among many, why I felt so much better when I was living off-grid - eating organic, breathing clean air, drinking untreated water, and out of mobile phone range.

Awesomeness, clearest head ever, great health, happy and relaxed.

My mental health has gotten significantly worse since I moved back to the city, and my physical health is also starting to degrade.

• Like 5

I thought i read that there was plans to put Sodium fluorosilicate in table salt, or perhaps that was over seas??

7pm project right now

bless channel seven ;)

I think this is the same study that was "on Reuters" (it was actually just a press-release section that anyone can pay to have their article press-released in, and not from Reuters).

Basically, the study found some evidence of about a 1-5% depression in IQ from places that have naturally high-fluoride rivers/bores.

Here's a (admittedly a little bit biased, but less so than what it's refuting) article on that Reuter's article: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fluoride-lowers-your-iq-b.s.-headline-week/

There's basically no evidence that the small amount added to the water supply does these major things. The window for its damage is very small. The window for its benefits is also pretty small too (If I recally correctly, toothpaste fluoridation and education on teeth-care started sometime mid-last century, and about 20 years after that, they started fluoridating the water, and the change in teeth-brushing didn't get the credit)

With that said, I don't support water supply fluoridation either, but I choose that decision not based on shoddy statistics and misleading titles, but on the grounds of freedom of choice.

I don't know about you guys, but to me there's no such thing as "it's okay to bend the truth a bit for a good cause" (the means justify the ends).

• Like 2

There is such a thing as chronic toxicity as well as acute poisoning. Such as that which occurs when people are exposed to tiny amounts of organophosphates over time.

Serum-fluoride concentrations associated with high intakes from drinking-water may exceed 1 mg/L, or 50 Smol/L, thus more than 1000-times the levels of some other neurotoxicants that cause neurodevelopmental damage. Supporting the plausibility of our findings, rats exposed to 1 ppm (50 Smol/L) of water-fluoride for one year showed morphological alterations in the brain and increased levels of aluminum in brain tissue compared with controls.

Yes, many possibles and maybes but perhaps worthy of further study, I reckon. Which is kind of what the article is saying to me.

• Like 1

There certainly is good reason to study this further, but the case on the potential harm from small amounts of fluoride added to the water supply is not settled at all.

Secondly, I think it's a very risky manoeuvre to base the argument of removing fluoride solely on long-term damage. I think that when things pan out, there will be very little if no detectable effects from constant low-level exposure. If this occurs, your basis of argument evaporates (as no harm can be demonstrated). For this reason, I think it's very important to focus on the fact that we just don't want it in our drinking water because:

1) We have a human right to access affordable, clean drinking water.

2) It's ineffective. It's positive benefits can be largely attributed to better teeth care practices. This is the reason that it's there in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm kinda with everybody on this (I'm not Swiss if you're wondering haha).

I think that yeah, there's a chance (although not proven) that it's bad for us. But even if it isn't, it still shouldn't be there. My main gripe is the ethics of it - how the government is applying what is essentially a medical treatment to an entire population without expressed and individual consent. Even if it is for something as benign and boring as "dental health and hygiene", it sets a dangerous and scary precedent.

• Like 2

with a smile this good who cares that im a idiot

• Like 2

Where i live they drink rainwater and the locals are dumb as fuck mostly. That could just be inbreeding i suppose.

And there is fluoride in toothpaste too so you'd better stop brushing.

Fluoride in water is good and prevents osteo and tooth decay. A relative of mine went to bundaberg to be a dentist and they dont have fluoride in the water. Great if you're a dentist

I'm assuming the dumb people lived in an underdeveloped area and had poor schooling.

You can buy fluoride free toothepaste. Aloe Dent is a good alternative to fluoride toothepaste. Most people have crappy teeth because they are lazy. Flossing is 50% of the teeth cleaning process and I personally don't know many people who floss. From what I've read fluoride replaces the calcium in our bones and teeth.

All you need to do to see that fluoride is poisonous is look at it's MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927595

"Ingestion:

If swallowed, do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an

unconscious person. Loosen tight clothing such as a collar, tie, belt or waistband. Get medical attention immediately."

Any product that has "do not swallow" on the label or "keep out of reach of children" shouldn't be ingested by anyone. You won't see those labels on organic products.

Edited by Buttsack
  • Like 1

Does boiling the water (as in millions of times for tea) make a difference?

ceramic water filters rock!

we have tank water filtered by a ceramic filter.

dont know if that would take out fluoride, but would clean up town water a fair bit.

Does boiling the water (as in millions of times for tea) make a difference?

It will make a difference, it will concentrate all the dissolved solids including sodium fluorosilicate.

If you want to remove dissolved solids, you need to use an RO unit or a still of one kind or another, using filters is a waste of time & $'s.

Just don't go recovering the solids, bad mojo.

yeah we've been using one for about a year. Just had to replace the ceramic filter.

$275 seems a good deal, we paid $380 thru a local distributor.