The Corroboree

Hey guys,

Since coming to Australia i have been a massive fan of blundstones boots. Up until recently that is. The last pair i bought Only lasted about a year before literally falling apart and did hurt my feet quite alot. I have heard that these days they are no longer made in Australia and quality is not as good as it used to be.

So I dont mind spending some decent money. im after something for everyday use, reasonable waterproof, good for walking and working. Steel cap is best althought it dont have to be for my work.

I have been looking at altbergs, herman survivors and 5.11 boots. they look pretty cool but has anyone owned a pair? what do you think? At first i was looking at Doc martens but i heard theyre now made in asia and the quality aint very good either. Thats a real shame i loved my docs for years!

So tell us what you wear when the dc's cant do the job.

Believe it or not, my current pair of D.M's were made in Thailand , but have lasted 3 x longer than my last pair (English made) .

not sure been a while since i wore boots but i think mack boots will do you right, i bought a second hand pair for an old job and they lasted years,

If you're looking for a Blundstone-style boot (i.e. elastic-sided), take a look at Redbacks, an Aussie company. I used to have a pair of these that were totally indestructible - outlasted 2 or 3 pairs of Blundstones. They weren't steel-capped, but the leather was so tough they might as well have been. I believe the elastic bit is waterproofed, and the leather should remain so as long as you oil it. They also have lace-up type boots and steel-caps which look decent.

I wear Schoen boots that work sorts me out with. I've had mine for two years and I thrash the living crap out of them. Booting timber packets to line the lengths up, digging holes, dropping shit onto, scuffing the soles. They're tough as hell but a touch on the heavy side.

Since buying Olivers I have not looked back Hillbilly ! ( i bought the top of the line boot due to the fact im in them 60-70 hrs a week )

Comfy, waterproof, steelcap, very solid, sturdy and light 'to boot'

( edit - these ones http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/120809898173?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes very expensive but worth every dollar )

Edited by tipz

I have a pair of R.M. Williams. They were not cheap but they're nice and they will last for ages if you look after them. You might only need to have them re-soled every so often.

I got a pair of the dress type boots. I use them mostly for work and they're good when it's raining or if I have a site visit.

i just got a good pair of blundstones so im worried now i should have gone for the steel blues, steel blues have a good rep over here in WA but mayby thats just good advertising with lillee as the ambassador.

im finding mine a touch uncomfortable sole wise but i expect thats just cos the bottoms about an inch thick and are not worn in, they got some bamboo in them somewhere!! for breathability, i suppose steelcaps provide safety first and comfort second, gettin run over by a forklift or not getting a nail drive thru your foot or dropping a milk crate or brick on your toe and walking away is probably better than running a marathon in something comfy, all in all i find my blundstones pretty sexy so far but steel blues would be my next choice.

I really like the look of hiking boots, but if your not into shoe laces, then maybe they wont be for you Hillbilli'. True hiking boots (as far as i know) don't have steel caps, but are comfy and are usually somewhat waterproof.

I like these ones (see below).. Pricey, but they are like in the top of the range.There are others that are not so expensive, but usually, you get what you pay for hey.

I want these ones..

post-7430-0-54416300-1344767438_thumb.jp

http://www.raysoutdo...101#Description

post-7430-0-10691400-1344767457_thumb.jp

http://www.paddypall...-boot-mens.html .

:)

246808.jpg

scar_ranger,.jpg

246808.jpg

scar_ranger,.jpg

Blundstone is now no longer producing in Australia, and being made in China - hence the poor quality now. They laid off the tassie workforce producing these by stealth a couple of years back.

Olivers have proven good to me as an elastic sided boot, plus have a bit of cushion in the sole. Now only wear em driving between jobs and in office.

My no.1 daily work (and now casual..lol) workboots are Steel Blue - full length (like GPs or Docs) , protected my feet no end from crush injury, like comfy gumboots that I can walk kilometres in. No I dont have shares in the company...

First obtained a pair from the local aluminium smelter workforce and have never looked back, current pair have seen two and a half years of hell. Not cheap upfront, but you'll pay more replacing others over time.

iv brought nothing but red backs for the last 12 years, love em

Woahh, amz those ones are fancy looking.

Ill find a steel blue stockist and take a look at them and the olivers. I had a few pair of redbacks, but they seem to hurt my feet.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/police_P3SOrigP.jsp < I really like the look of these, i dont think anyone in Aus stocks them for me too look at though. So it will prolly come down to olivers or steel blues

^ You like the 'peacemakers', lol.

Yeah ok, maybe my recommendations are a bit too fancy for work.

I know steel caps are toe savers, but I heard of a guy that wore steel capped boots motor bike riding... he crashed , and one of the boots did a full on fold and chopped his toes off. I always think of that when 'steal caps' are mentioned.

seems like every poster has a different answer to what boot is best. maybe that means anything is ok really, just get something that fits ok and feels comfy.....

I'm wearing " blue steel" boots now, lace ups, very comfortable have given them an absolute hiding over the last 8 months, 5 stars from me. Blundies will always have a

Special place in

My heart though.

Lol already been

Mentioned !! I believe it's steel blue not blue steel reading off my boot tongue. Do it hb though at around 180 a pair not cheap

Edited by incognito

Bludstones are shit, my theory is that people only wear them because it’s the ‘aussie’ thing to do.

Steel blues are really comfortable, but not all that hardy in my experience. Imo, the best work boots are hands down the All Terrain Oliver’s, they last for years and are so comfortable you don’t even need to break them in.

Then if you want something for going out or whatever you can’t go past timberlands.

used to use these. Redwings. Expensive but took a hammering and lasted years.

amazonian...i saw a mythbusters on steel caps chopping toes off, with their particular experiments they proved that it was a complete urban myth fallacy and would take ultimate extreme forces to happen which by any measure you would have been screwed either way.

you guys are harsh on the blundstones, just looked at my tag they are not made in china but in vietnam : )

I used to wear Blunnies but now I get steel cap Rossi's from Bunnings for $100.

I work in Hypo at the ice rink so they have to be decent. They have taken a 2 year hammering and are still in great shape.

I have been wearing Steel blue high top lace ups for 14 years. I went through a stage where every time I needed to replace my boots I would go out and try on a number of other boots but I sill ended up with steel blue they in my opinion are the most comfortable boots in the market. These days I am a little more bias as I have a family member that works in there sales department so for me they are now the also cheapest boots on the market :lol:

Cheers

Got

amazonian...i saw a mythbusters on steel caps chopping toes off, with their particular experiments they proved that it was a complete urban myth fallacy and would take ultimate extreme forces to happen which by any measure you would have been screwed either way.

Ya gotta love Mythbusters :) .

I get my steel blues for free ;)

I've always liked blundies as I grew up wearing them, my dad had little feet and his blundies always looked so cool. Shoes and boots don't look to cool on a big footed person after a while please help me out someone if you know where I'm getting at. Blundies are a completely different boot to 20 years ago. They don't look as cool and have plastic shit hanging off them all over the place. Slip ons just don't do it in the comfort factor anymore. Tying ur laces up is no fun though.

Edited by incognito

Tying laces is just part of my morning ritual. :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

agree with the blue steels, very comfey.

as for the laces you can buy those lace in zipper things, converts lace up boots into zippers, pretty cool, never had them though

• Like 1

Whoah.....