The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Shrivelled Lophs

Hey Guys.

I recently bought 40 de-grafts from a seller here for several hundred dollars that have all shriveled up completely. I followed the sellers instructions to the letter but was very disappointed when they all did this.

Does anyone know if I have any chance of saving these? I doubt it but I was hoping there might be some way to re-hydrate them?

Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

shrivel2.jpg

Night of the living dead. If you wouldnt have told us beforehand, i couldnt even say thats lophs. Well, actually they were lophs. Dont think you can do anything there.

How did all this start? Orange Rot maybe? How much water in what peroid of time? You know, its actually not typical that so many Lophs shrivel up at once unless you got an infection running wild or do something really wrong. How much sun and heat did they get? Its really hard to tell at that point what caused all this. How do the others look like?

Night of the living dead. If you wouldnt have told us beforehand, i couldnt even say thats lophs. Well, actually they were lophs. Dont think you can do anything there.

How did all this start? Orange Rot maybe? How much water in what peroid of time? You know, its actually not typical that so many Lophs shrivel up at once unless you got an infection running wild or do something really wrong. How much sun and heat did they get? Its really hard to tell at that point what caused all this. How do the others look like?

they all look the same. There wasn't any rot. They were very very small to begin with and just shriveled up from day 1. I misted the sand about once a week. They haven't had much heat as it is winter here. Absolutely no direct sun.

nope doesnt look like it man, to tell the truth i cant see any lophlings..

i put my degrafts after being dried in normal potting mix with a little bit of sand and they tend to start showing sighns of life after 2 weeks...

10cent piece to 20cent piece works for me...

size wise

Edited by spacemonk

nope doesnt look like it man, to tell the truth i cant see any lophlings..

i put my degrafts after being dried in normal potting mix with a little bit of sand and they tend to start showing sighns of life after 2 weeks...

10cent piece to 20cent piece works for me...

size wise

Damn. These were all a lot smaller than a 5c piece.

several hundred for fourty or so degrafts ? And all under the size of a five cent piece ??? :o hmnmmm

I would say in my opinion the fact they were so tiny had a lot to do with it. Had they been given time to be sufficiently calloused ?

should have messaged me BF :P

• Like 1

Maybe they were too small to be degrafted but its really hard to tell as i dont know all the factors. And the rest is still alive? Can you post a pic with a lighter or a coin as a scale please? Dont know how large your 5 ct coins are. :) Not that it actually would change anything but i would like to see the size of them.

Edited by Evil Genius

several hundred for fourty or so degrafts ? And all under the size of a five cent piece ??? :o hmnmmm

I would say in my opinion the fact they were so tiny had a lot to do with it. Had they been given time to be sufficiently calloused ?

should have messaged me BF :P

Damn that sucks. Big time. I will send you a message now Tipz.

I assumed they were sufficiently calloused but who knows.

Maybe they were too small to be degrafted but its really hard to tell as i dont know all the factors. And the rest is still alive? Can you post a pic with a lighter or a coin as a scale please? Dont know how large your 5 ct coins are. :) Not that it actually would change anything but i would like to see the size of them.

No. They all look the same. I'll take another pic for you EG.

Gee whiz mate thats a rough deal. :-(

Such a shame that someone would be rude enough to ask so much for them.

But I think they will be absolutely fine, the shrivelling is just because they are so little and no longer connected to the graft to get water.

I have rooted pups the same size and even smaller, they do shivel up alot,

just keep checking the undersides of them 4 mould and keep misting the sand every so often.

They will make it!

Gee whiz mate thats a rough deal. :-(

Such a shame that someone would be rude enough to ask so much for them.

But I think they will be absolutely fine, the shrivelling is just because they are so little and no longer connected to the graft to get water.

I have rooted pups the same size and even smaller, they do shivel up alot,

just keep checking the undersides of them 4 mould and keep misting the sand every so often.

They will make it!

That is good news! Any idea how long they will take to re-hydrate?

I actually thought I was getting a good deal and snapped it up instantly.......twice :(

you should have gone to specsavers instead, just tell your wife you lost the money whoring and gambling around, it's safer that way.

too expensive, too small, nough said.

• Like 3

you should have gone to specsavers instead, just tell your wife you lost the money whoring and gambling around, it's safer that way.

too expensive, too small, nough said.

That's funny :)

Do you think they'll re-hydrate PH? or is this a lost cause?

hey man is that fine sand you have for the mix? You should be using coarse sand for drainage? If seedlings were 1cm I'm not sure how they would go with the weather and temps during transit. Or possibilities of how they died could have been too much direct sunlight and/or heat inside the covered plastic container as a result?

hey man is that fine sand you have for the mix? You should be using coarse sand for drainage? If seedlings were 1cm I'm not sure how they would go with the weather and temps during transit. Or possibilities of how they died could have been too much direct sunlight and/or heat inside the covered plastic container as a result?

I was told to use white fine sand.

They had no direct sunlight whatsoever and the plastic container wasn't covered.

I have problems saying anything about the condition of the lophs because i can hardly see anything but a brown mass. Maybe its possible to re-hydrate them but on the picture, it looks like the stuff i usually discard. I would dramatically increase water supply and see how they are doing.

Woah... they don't look good :o . I'd be extremely surprised if they resurrected themselves. In fact im sure they won't.Sorry. The discolouration on the sand looks like a type of mould/fungus. The smallest i have got away with( was around 1cm) in coarse propagation sand, kept completely dry, on a warm windowsill with indirect light. Still had couple of mortalities.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

my vote, goes for they will not re hydrate, they are pretty dead, sorry.

i would take one out and inspect, the callused surface.

if well callused, i would try to keep them in a high humidety enviroment.

but do this only, if the seller, can't use this as an excuse, for not refunding.

edit:

i'm a slow typist, and didn't see above posts.

Edited by planthelper

Woah... they don't look good :o . I'd be extremely surprised if they resurrected themselves. In fact im sure they won't.Sorry. The discolouration on the sand looks like a type of mould/fungus. The smallest i have got away with( was around 1cm) in coarse propagation sand, kept completely dry, on a warm windowsill with indirect light. Still had couple of mortalities.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

The discolouration is soil I spilled on them today. Looks a lot worse in the photo than what it is.

my vote, goes for they will not re hydrate, they are pretty dead, sorry.

i would take one out and inspect, the callused surface.

if well callused, i would try to keep them in a high humidety enviroment.

but do this only, if the seller, can't use this as an excuse, for not refunding.

edit:

i'm a slow typist, and didn't see above posts.

That's no good. I'll give the high humidity a try.

I am not game to ask for a replacement as the original sale did not go smoothly whatsoever.

So you have 5 trays like that ?

:(

It doesn't look good, I'd say they're all dead but you never know you could get the odd one survive.

I don't know the details of the sale (who approached who etc) but it seems like it really shouldn't have happened with cuts that small, especially at this time of year. They look like they would have been much more suitable as scions at that stage of development .I'd ask them if they'd re-supply at least a portion of the deal.

I don't think there's any blame, just a bit of inexperience.

Tough lesson to learn.

Edited by SallyD

So you have 5 trays like that ?

:(

It doesn't look good, I'd say they're all dead but you never know you could get the odd one survive.

I don't know the details of the sale (who approached who etc) but it seems like it really shouldn't have happened with cuts that small, especially at this time of year. They look like they would have been much more suitable as scions at that stage of development .I'd ask them if they'd re-supply at least a portion of the deal.

I don't think there's any blame, just a bit of inexperience.

Tough lesson to learn.

Yep. Thanks for the post. I agree very tough and expensive lesson to learn but at least I can teach others now.

Just to reiterate guys. I am just after some ideas as to how to save these things or if it is even possible? There is no point bringing the seller into this as I am not going to bother asking for a replacement.

over a matter of several hundred dollars, i would be busting balls if that is what i received in a trade BF. Seriously... that is one very very rough deal ! quite shamefull really !

Maybe if you could brush off the dirt so they are more visible and then show us a more detailed close up of at least one we could help more.

P.S ( this guy really told you to use fine sand as well ? :unsure: )

Edited by tipz
  • Like 3