The Corroboree
Stillman

Datura metel var fastuosa

I have found spider mites on my babies. I am going to get medieval on these little fuckers

• Like 1

fuken mites!!! fuken mites!!!!!! fuck

made a spray with sulphur canola oil dish wash detergent and pyrethrum will spray the girls down when it cools this arvo? I'm only worried about burning the leaves?

Mix was 1 tsp sulphur powder

1 tbs oil

1 tsp dish wash detergent

10ml pyrethrum

to a spray bottle say 750ml

do you reckon this will burn them? or give it a go? fucking mites man they are on my adeniums and Daturas but not on the cacti?? go figure.

i use pest spray which i flog from work ! kills everthing hahaha my girls love it! [8mls per litre] i only use it if i have 2 and i do the mites r crazie @ tha moment toooo fucken dry

• Like 1

on Daturas I would also use pyrethrum, but not on plants which will be ingested, because pyrethrum is said to be toxic to humans

Neem, predator mites (Amblyseius swirskii), waldleben, thyme-gloves-soap-garlic-mugwort-tincture and tobacco-tea with soap-nut also work for me,

also helps against thrips: Chenopodium ambrosioides (can be easily grown) and Piper guineense (from african stores) are both highly active as tea of tincture

rather ingest pyrethrum than this fucken plant 4 real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

there are many pyrethroides, some more toxic, some less, the natural ones from Chrysanthemum and the synthetic ones

some plants react sensible on it, some not,

so we should not lump together, its a complicated issue

th_DSCF2001-1.jpg

th_DSCF2004.jpg

th_DSCF2006-1.jpg

I am interested to see if the other plants have the same colour tones? Not sure how genetically variable this plant is. The flower in the end is much whiter than I thought it would be. The photos never do flowers justice. And the scent is amazing, this will be an amazing site covered in blooms when it gets bigger. I think these plants respond extremely well to heavy feeding.

• Like 1

water, mix , shade/sun , seed not always tha same as mothar plant flower. theres soooo many x metels out ? i have different shades of fastuosa it is funny haha [white cream yellow red yes red!! violet and fuken mix of them all] oi my mate my metels r ready to flower soon <>alsorts <<> my fav r d. discolor cant wait :devil:

• Like 1

a couple doubles opening.

DSCF2003-15.jpg

DSCF2004-15.jpg

I'm interested to see if collecting seed only from triples will increase triple blooms in each generation?

edit, after further appraisal both are actually triples.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 3

Interesting variation in the flowers these triple bloom's 3rd petals seem almost too small for the flower.

DSCF2002-1.jpg

DSCF2001-2.jpgDSCF2005-1.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Start of a seed pod

DSCF2010-1.jpg

I have decided I will definitely only allow triple bloom flowers to set seed and only flowers that can fully open. So unless the two above flowers open right up in the next day I will give them the snip.

You guys must be sick of me taking photos of Datura lol.

This is interesting, a new plant's bloom has just started opening, this one is a real rich purple. Like the Purple triple swirls you see on line. Its gonna be a nice full formed triple by the looks too.

DSCF2001-3.jpg

DSCF2005-2.jpg

• Like 4

Not sick off your pictures at all stillman. In fact you have inspired me to hunt down some double purple datura seeds and buy some.

Keep the info and pictures comming and i hope i can show off some datura and brugs flowers this summer

• Like 1

They look so other-worldly! Like some creature in an undersea garden. I love the colour variations.

I sowed some seed recently which may be this species, hope to see some flowers like that at my house this summer.

Nice, i'm too broke to buy plants atm but i have purchased from that seller before, she usually has some really choice plants.

Bogfrog I think we have the same seed. Was a giveaway from here, the members name started with a M and ends OK.

So yours should produce very similar flowers. In the end I have only kept 4 adult plants 2 seem to be pale with purple trim this one has good purple and the last one is yet to flower.

I'll be potting a few up into 10" pots over the next couple of days...looking forward to the growth increase, followed by flowering.

Keep up the photo's...please. *thumbs up

The colour seems to drop out of the flowers as they open. This plant (plant4) flowers are still quite a few shades different to the first plants flower. I think with line breeding they could be improved significantly. How many generations to get a mostly stable result, I don't know? Maybe it can't be done? But if you can get them up and flowering in 70 days after Germination and the flowers existing are striking anyway then its not a massive undertaking. You know what I don't like about Daturas, the smell of the leaves. Horrible smell. Reminds me as a kid living in the country an we had to clear and slasher and poison weeds like the "Devils Apple" It only just occurred to me that they are a Datura species lol. I remember we used to throw the seed pods at each other and the old man would be yelling at us say they are poison and is you get the sap in your eye you'll go blind.

DSCF2003-3.jpg

• Like 1

DSCF2003-5.jpg

I noticed the seed pod from the first triple bloom has a weird growth on it? like a conjoined little seed pod growing out from under it, is this normal?

• Like 1

I have just sown 10 seeds i ordered online. They are labled as datura metal purple queen. I will post a few pic's if i can get them to germinate. Thanks for bringing my attention to this stunning plant

• Like 1

When I get some seed I'll pass some excess around. Might try and organise a mass trade if people are keen, and am waiting on someTriple Yellows to germinate, can't wait for them.

For a "pest" they are a very slow germinators. lol

DSCF2001-5.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2

My Datura metel chlorantha (triple Yellow) seeds are germinating. :drool2: So frigging happy. Thanks a million Bullit for the seed your a champion. So now I am thinking what would a hybrid look like of the two.. Would require the flower to be "operated on" but if you managed to get it to take I imagine theres a pretty Amazing plant at the end of it. Something to have ago at down the track anyway.

Took 18 days to germinate in a hot house for anyone interested in time frame.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1