The Corroboree
incognito

I don't think I get sick??

Was just reading the migraine thread, it occurred to me, I've never had one. Not do I ever get headaches. I've had glandular fever badly constantly from the ages 3 to 7, but since then cannot really remember actually being sick. I've never had a flu, I mean I've had the sniffles and all but never actually a flue of

More than 2 days. Have travelled Asia without the runs at any time I eat everything from a to z. Sleep like a baby. I'm starting to wonder whether this early illness in my life has given me a powerful immune system, combined with a diet that had always included anything I can fit down my mouth( was almost raised on offal lol) has given me a powerful digestive

Most people I know who do get sick talk themselves into it. People who are fanatical about there health also seem to be regularly ill.

I'll take this time to touch wood and say I hope it all continues!

Edited by incognito

I think that the immune system is something that can be trained, but I don't think it's about a gigantic training session, but rather just "keeping up to date" and staying "fit". It's basically known that bacteria trade genes across species: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111101125958.htm (there's a link to the phenomenon)

Somehow, even though a billion years of genome evolution separate a bacterium living on a cow and a bacterium living on a human, both are accessing the same gene library," Alm says. "It's powerful circumstantial evidence that genes are being transferred between food animals and humans.

So I think there's an element of 'transferable knowledge' from your immune system recognizing traits from one bacterium species to another (maybe). Another thing as you pointed out is to keep your immune system up-regulated by having a constant exposure to all bacteria (keeping it "fit" by not being too fanatical about germs).

• Like 1

Now that is really funny. I have something similar since i got sick with glandular fever in 2003 or so. I had it pretty badly but since then i didnt have fever anymore nor did i get sick with the flue nor did i have any stomach problems. HOWEVER i should add that since then, my glands dont work anymore which is one of the symptoms of the autoimmune disease i was diagnosed with. Seems the glandular fever was the cause for it in the first place so im not really sure if i should be happy about not getting fever and shit. Some bodyfunctions are there for a reason. Since im on medicamentation, glands started working again btw.

So, you either have a.) a very good immune system b.) theres something wrong with your immune system since the glandular fever so it doesnt allow typical diseases to come up OR c.) you are a superhero. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

During the swine flu epidemic I was working as a disability support worker and had to look after my client when he was Diagnosed in the swine flu ward. I was cleaning up swine flu piss vomit and diahorrea over the course of a week and exposed to non stop coughing. Even the nurses thought it was a media thing and used to walk in unmasked and ungloved. Never caught it.

I'm starting to think western culture, particularly city culture is far to clean, and once exposed to the bacterial equivalent of a smack in the ass just can't deal with it. Just a theory.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

You could be right EG. Here's another science article which could explain why:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081029101201.htm

Common Cold Symptoms Caused By Immune System -- Not The Cold Virus

ScienceDaily (Oct. 30, 2008) — A University of Calgary scientist confirms that it is how our immune system responds, not the rhinovirus itself, that causes cold symptoms. Of more than 100 different viruses that can cause the common cold, human rhinoviruses are the major cause.

• Like 1

So we get sick but not show it when our glands have taken a beating?

Maybe. They only proved it for colds, but it could be similar for flus. But I also don't really get sick (I get a cold maybe once a year, runny nose, sore throat), but no flu or anything worse than a cold for about 11~ years, and I never had glandula fever (that I know of).

Edited by CβL

Could my semen be worth anything??

• Like 1

So we get sick but not show it when our glands have taken a beating?

Exactly. Its actually not very likely that i havent had a cold since the glandual fever. Its probably that my body isnt able to show it the way other peoples bodies do. And i really think it could be similar in your case. Do you sweat a lot? Or is your mouth extremely dry sometimes? Dry Eyes? Can you snout? Maybe have an eye on stuff like this in the future. If theres something wrong with your glands, some of those could have reduced functions.

Could my semen be worth anything??

Well im sure mine certainly isnt. Maybe only at the Zoo. :P

Be carefull posting that publicly. The black helicopter might pay you a visit tonigh ;)

Can I snout??

Maybee my Freemason dads sperm is to credit. I am born of Freemason jizz.

Edited by incognito

My Dad is obsessed with his health. He's 74 and wants to live until at least 110. He usually walks several kilometres a day and eats mostly steamed vegetables, including whatever ingredients are currently thought to increase longevity according to the latest scientific research.

He's only been sick once in probably the last 20 years or so, and although it was pretty nasty (strep throat), I think he's doing pretty well in general.

I used to get sick all the time, literally every month, usually for a week or two at a time. I haven't been sick in several months, and it was several months before that that I was sick the last time. I put it down to being happier in what I'm doing with my life at the moment and just generally being more relaxed. My girlfriend thinks it's living conditions. I've mostly lived in old houses that often had mould problems. My girlfriend insists on living in very new houses and is very particular about how, and how often, it gets cleaned. There are so many variables that it's hard to pin down the causes.

the old let your kids play in dirt theory, now days parents wont let lil johnny eat dirt and play with snails without a pocket of anti bacterial wipes...life is too clean these days, in life to be strong you need to build up your resistances. peanut allergies etc etc are probably from not having bacteria on hands and benches.

its the same with gluten intolerance and celiacs and all those so called diseases, i have no doubt people suffer them but only those people in the upper part of life that can afford to, find yourself an extremely poor person who wont eat a piece of bread because of a so called disease......wont happen.

i know what you mean about the food too incognito, my dad has a weak stomach and gets food poisening all the time, he is particulary harsh on salami...if he sees me put my shopping bags down he immediately fridges them, within 30 seconds......the other day i finished work and was starving, i left some salami in the packet for about 20 hours in the heat...i know those salamis are full of bacterial pox but gees it was delish mmm mmm mm, no worries at all.

• Like 2

I lived in a student house - 14 students all up plus partners, 3 fridges to share and no roster for cleaning (that's just to paint a picture of what the shared kitchen + 3 fridges was likely to be, and was).

I left some pork steak in the fridge, I can't remember how long but it was at least 10 days and was yellowing with some kind of green mould on one corner. I chucked it out as it was starting to look quite grim; 20 minutes later my mate hoiked it out of the bin and, staring at me accusingly, cooked it up. I was horrified, and kept close to the phone in case he keeled over within the next 24hours. Nothing happened. He reckoned his ability to digest almost anything was second to none, and he couldn't understand why other people were so fussy.

My dad used to eat old bacon that had gone yellow and smelt of cheese; while my stomach turned he grinned, fried it up and nothing ever used to happen to him either.

Kids eat all sorts of shit from the floor - unless they get unlucky, they are okay.

There is some theory behind keeping clean and killing bacteria and viruses, but our immune systems always make a difference. My nephew (18 months?) has had chickenpox twice, he had the vaccine prior to this I think. My girl got infectious bronchitis with tonsillitis and was sick for two weeks; I had a sore throat one morning (and yet my lungs are a weak point in my health). Loads of her workmates got sick too, and her mum, but my health is generally pretty good. I don't get colds or flu, however I have had digestion problems santiago - and i wouldn't turn down a crust if I was starving, but eating yeasty stuff daily would make me feel like shit.

luck. i'd say.

Born lucky has something to do with it I guess.

the amount of times i've seen people take a shit in a public bathroom and not wash their hands afterwards is disturbing. then i catch the train home and think "how many shit stained hands have touched these rails". so really if you don't wear gloves in public or wash you hands as soon as you get home you're basically eating other peoples shit. it's a wonder we don't come down with dysentery as soon as we leave the house.

What's more disturbing is that they get shit on their hands, use their hands to turn the tap on, wash their hands, then touch the tap again to turn it off!

Then you have to touch the tap to wash your hands!

Aaargh!

Guilty as charged :(

• Like 1

I don't shit in public toilets (never really have for some reason) but I quite regularly forget/get lazy about washing my hands after taking a piss.

you people are all filthy grots

Washing my hands after poos I'm going to try and do more off. Being sanitary has never been part of my culture. I like to spread the love.

I don't think washing ur hands after doing a wee is necessary. Ur just touching skin. What's wrong with a bit of dick skin?

• Like 1

incog, you had mononucleosis very early in life, most people get it in there teens.

i had it with ~19years of age, and aswell wondered, that i hardly get a flu or cold.

downside is, glandular fever, increases the chance of lymph cancers.

i'm a compulsive hand washer, and often over rule my urge to wash my hands, just to be more normal.

but let's not forget semmelweis, the 1st doctor, to point out the importance of clean hands!!!

i'm confident, my semen is worth more than incogs, because most of my girls always gave me credit, for how nice it tastes!!!

aswell, i produce more, than eg & incog together.

pm me 4 more details, hehehe. :)

Edited by planthelper

I've never felt more insulted before in my life. Its not about quantity, but quality. By the way ph, goats are not technically girls.

• Like 1