The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Illustro

Central Asian Ephedra spp. germination

¡Hola!

Has anyone got any amazing germination teks for E. equisetina and E. intermedia? My penpal Pablo is having issues, we've both searched far and wide (including UTFSE) for more information but none of the teks seem to work for him.

He's tried all sorts, from GA3, to cold stratification, to temperature swings, to freezing, to scarification, to warm incubation, and come up three quarters of fuck all really.

The seeds are from three different sources; we both suspect (and have read) that perhaps the seeds have some very strong germination inhibitors and may only start popping up in around 12 months time. Apart from that, we're stumped.

¡Gracias amigos!

Edited by Illustro

i'm sure all of your seeds are too old to germinate.

all ephedras germinate with ease, if the seeds are not too old.

• Like 1

Have you germinated equisetina & intermedia before? I've heard reports that equisetina at least has germination inhibitors. Pablo found that other seed (fragilis) from the same source germinated magnificently.

you talk pablo, but want me to self incriminate?

are your equisetina seeds fresh?

inhibitor problems only arise with old seed!!!!!!!!

Edited by planthelper

Oh right, I forgot about the situation over there ;)

I assume they're fresh-ish, Pablo sewed them straight after he got them - tho no idea how long the suppliers had them sitting around for. Quite unfortunate really, they (equisetina) seem like such an interesting species to grow! Pablo vey dissapoint :( poor Pablo...