The Corroboree
sethomopod

Amsterdam Coffeeshops - Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm off to Amsterdam in a couple of days. Going on a honeymoon..

Does anyone here have any suggestions of good coffeeshops?

Or even some things to do? Experiences etc...

Thanks in advance...

S

Lucky man as of next year (i think) coffee shops will be closed to tourist :-( i missed out so no advice for you

Hope you have an awsome honey moon

Yeah from what I saw on u-tube the "cannabis cup" was raided this year. The dutch govt are clamping down, so I'd say Portugal will become the new "Amsterdam"...

Happy honeymooning seth.

Yeah from what I saw on u-tube the "cannabis cup" was raided this year. The dutch govt are clamping down, so I'd say Portugal will become the new "Amsterdam"...

Happy honeymooning seth.

The Cannabis Cup is in November and hasn't been run this year yet. Where did you read about these raids? I have never heard of this before and I have dutch friends.

Go to Green House and meet Arjan and then go to Barney's and meet Barney. See if the Dronkers brothers are still around as well.

Check out Kali Mist for the best pure Sativa IMO then hold onto the floor. Try any decent Kush strains for a good medicating Indica couch lock and avoid the overhyped Cheese strains like the plague.

Check out some Diesel strains if you want to Try Cannabis Kafiristanica - Very high CDB content and very low THC for a super medicating high.

• Like 1

And please take pictures and post them here for those of us that have always wanted to go but will never get the chance :)

• Like 1

The Cannabis Cup is in November and hasn't been run this year yet. Where did you read about these raids? I have never heard of this before and I have dutch friends.

Ok...so I meant last year. I wasn't to sure & was fee lining a bit lazy... :blush:

Go to Green House and meet Arjan and then go to Barney's and meet Barney. See if the Dronkers brothers are still around as well.

Check out Kali Mist for the best pure Sativa IMO then hold onto the floor. Try any decent Kush strains for a good medicating Indica couch lock and avoid the overhyped Cheese strains like the plague.

Check out some Diesel strains if you want to Try Cannabis Kafiristanica - Very high CDB content and very low THC for a super medicating high.

nice, I'm staying at the green house, so it's nice to see a recommendation for them..

I will give your tips a go BF

And please take pictures and post them here for those of us that have always wanted to go but will never get the chance :)

I most certainly will! :wink:

• Like 1

nice, I'm staying at the green house, so it's nice to see a recommendation for them..

I will give your tips a go BF

I most certainly will! :wink:

Wow your staying at the Green House! That is unreal. Don't take any crap from Arjan!

Ok...so I meant last year. I wasn't to sure & was fee lining a bit lazy... :blush:

Damn. That is the first I have heard of that. Thanks for posting the vid.

Do you know what the raid was for? The announcer mentioned the Opium act so I assume it was not a Cannabis raid?

Those guys who hang around to roll a huge joint are a few sandwiches short of a picnic I'd say.

• Like 2

No idea man...I just stumbled across it.

I couldn't stop laughing at them... :BANGHEAD2:

No idea man...I just stumbled across it.

I couldn't stop laughing at them... :BANGHEAD2:

Me too! :lol:

"Who's twistin brah? Who's twistin?!!"

:uzi:

Edited by sethomopod
  • Like 2

Why any government would want to discourage tourism is beyond me :scratchhead:

• Like 4

Not sure if you are even able to buy weed in a coffeeshop. Not sure if it was mentioned before but its not legal for them to sell weed to people who arent from the neitherlands. If you find one who does it, they pretty much risk their license.

Those laws haven't been put into effect yet EG. They apparently start next year.

Currently the police will turn a blind eye if you have less than 5 grams on you. Cannabis is still illegal there and not decriminalised.

Well, thats not entirely true. The law was put in effect in three districts in may 2012 and police are applying it. But i guess Amsterdam isnt one of em so Seth might be lucky there. Rest will follow by the start of 2013 if theres not a change in the current politics. But it doesnt look like it because people from the neitherlands are sick from the drug tourism and the criminality that comes along with it. Dont think their problem is caused by people who come because of the weed though.

Edited by Evil Genius

The announcer mentioned the Opium act so I assume it was not a Cannabis raid?

the opium act governs all drug law in the netherlands. similar to how americans call everything a 'narcotic'. just another example of people who have no clue what they are talking about getting to make the decisions that govern the minority.

as for advice: avoid the coffeeshop with all the screens. sorry i forgot it's name, but i went in, everything seemed chill, nice music etc, when suddenly i notice on all the tv screens (of which there are many) is footage of people being killed! what the fuck man?? who wants to watch that shit at all, especially while high :wacko: fuck that. also avoid the club called Air. it's a hole. happy travels!

Ive never been but you'd be amazed by the selection at some of the medical marijuana places in California and Montana. They even tell you bullshit like 'Northern Lights is better for back pain'...

Hi Seth, I went to Amsterdam in 2008... so a little while ago now, but from a quick search on the interwebz it looks like my fav places are still up and running :)

My favourite coffee shop was Abraxas - http://amsterdam.abraxas.tv/locations.html - really nice atmosphere.

Not really sure about the status of smart shops and the like now, I went over there in early - mid 2008 when mushies were still really easy to come by. Heard it's gotten stricter/possibly not legal anymore?

http://www.whatsupwithamsterdam.com/2011/05/20/amsterdam-smart-shops/

If you want a bit of a change from staying directly in the city, the Lucky Lake Hostel is a relaxing stay. The Hostel is cruisy, most of their accom is renovated caravans; think they have some cabins as well. There's a smoking room in the middle of all the cabins too. The staff run a shuttle bus to Amsterdam Holendrect station, where you can catch the train into the city.

The red light district is an eye opener and worth a wander through. Not sure how appropriate this is for a honeymoon... but a lot of the tourists go and check out the live sex shows. Anywho.. if the two of you do decide to take a look, when you walk past the places offering the shows the door staff will try and offer you special deals etc to make you buy tickets on the spot. There's no rush though, you can usually haggle them down when you walk past again; but try and go with one of the well known bigger places as they will be more tourist and woman friendly. The sex show that I went to was pretty funny, it was quite dramatised and light hearted. There is also a sex museum somewhere around that area - for something less in your face.

Speaking of in your face, not sure if they still have them there, but look out for the public public urinals beside the bridges. They're literally urinals on the street, without any walls surrounding the urinals!

The Van Gogh museum is worth a visit, and the Anne Frank house/museum is surreal.

Hope you have a good trip!

Not really sure about the status of smart shops and the like now, I went over there in early - mid 2008 when mushies were still really easy to come by. Heard it's gotten stricter/possibly not legal anymore?

They were made illegal. Now all you can buy are truffles.

I lived there a few years, some time ago now. My preferences became

1) avoid red light district and surrounding areas at all costs due to numerous idiotic wasted brits and germans (and aussies)

2) watch the "vibe" and customer service before entering. The Dutch aren't one for American-style servile anal cunnilingus thank God ("have a nice day!"), but at the same time why expose yourself to the negativity of someone just doing a job they hate or some coffeeshop owner who is just there to make a buck out of people he hates?

I'm antisocial in general so "cafe culture" etc doesn't appeal to me... and I tend to think the multidimensional different effects attributed to different strains or hash types is mostly BS -- so with these in mind I became price-conscious. But if you're into these things you can also make an assessment when you go in.

I've just spend 10 minutes mucking around on Google Maps Street View trying to find my old favourite in the central area. Wow, great memories. It was Coffeeshop 'Balou', Halvemaansteeg 5. Voor de gezelligheid!

thanks for all the advice guys!

Well, after flying for 15hrs, we made it,

got into the hotel around 12:30am, and the guy was kind enough to remind me the coffeeshops all close at 1,

so I'd better be quick if I want weed... I thought it would be surreal to buy weed over a counter, but it just felt right...

Got a couple of grams of the greenhouse special... Oh so fruity! Very nice indeed!...

Bloody jetlag has me though, i'm up writing this after only 4 hrs sleep!

Will post pics soon....

• Like 3

Global Chillage in the Kerkstraat! Hope it still exists. It did in 2005.

Used to live very close to A'dam at least 15 years ago now (damn time flies) and walked those streets allot.

'Conscious dreams' was a smartshop I visited allot too. They too were in the Kerkstraat. (not anymore I believe)

Anyway have fun man. Report back to us. ;-)

Edited by woof woof woof

i also definitely recommend conscious dreams. very nice place. they have a cat, watch out. as for the red light district i find it rather disturbing, but not as much as the urinals! my word. at least you don't have to pay to use them, fuck europe and their ''public'' toilets. better than our ''public'' transport though i guess...

Edited by frank

Try Shiva run by some Jamaicans. They have a cave like area downstairs and its usually quiet. Smokeys is always a good laugh sitting outside overlooking the plaza and sipping those caramello hot chocolates.

I forget its name but there is a coffeeshop behind the flower markets in a parallel side street run by a japanese guy. Its really good for a quite morning toke, coffee and paper read. He played some excellent japanese chill out music that was unsual when I was there late last year.