The Corroboree
Alice

Happy Birthday Ballzac

Happy Bday mate.

I hope your still producing some awesome tracks. Have a good one!

Sly

Happy birthday Ballzy :)

Happy birthday Ballzac, hope u have a awesome day!

Thanks guys :)

I hope your still producing some awesome tracks.

Ah, hobbies...I remember them. Perhaps I'll have some time for stuff like that if I ever finish my studies :lol:

happy day! don't squander your juicy brain on hobbies man!@#$!

if you must squander it then answer my simple question which i can't word properly for google.

if you travel a light year at say half the speed of light, how much do you age eg how much earth time passes on your spaceship? just a short answer will do i can contemplate the rest myself.

cuz i'm wondering precisely how much awesomeness it would be to commence some time-consuming work on a slow-moving rock like earth, for instance, ask a computer to solve a riddle. on earth you would die of old age before the riddle is ever solved, or before the brain-immortality-machine can be manufactured, etc, so you life a highly eventful (heh. sarcasm.) life zipping around space and come back to earth 200 years later.

seems like a good way to get the better of time.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Happy birthday Ballzac :)

phd042909s.gif

• Like 1

Happy Birthday brother. Hope you had a good day and are well! Peace

if you must squander it then answer my simple question which i can't word properly for google.

if you travel a light year at say half the speed of light, how much do you age eg how much earth time passes on your spaceship? just a short answer will do i can contemplate the rest myself.

cuz i'm wondering precisely how much awesomeness it would be to commence some time-consuming work on a slow-moving rock like earth, for instance, ask a computer to solve a riddle. on earth you would die of old age before the riddle is ever solved, or before the brain-immortality-machine can be manufactured, etc, so you life a highly eventful (heh. sarcasm.) life zipping around space and come back to earth 200 years later.

(Ship time)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) = Earth Time

For half the speed of light

1 Ship year ~= 1.155 Earth years

so you'd have to zip around space for about 173 years for 200 years to pass on Earth. But, this increases significantly as you increase speed, so at 90% the speed of light, you would only wait 87 years. At 99% light speed, it's 28 years. At 99.99% the speed of light, it's 2.8 years. Better build a faster ship :wink:

Happy Birthday brother. Hope you had a good day and are well! Peace

Cheers, I'd say we should catch up soon, but we never get around to it :blush:

• Like 1

Just realised I didn't actually answer the question, lol. So... I'm assuming you mean 1 light year proper distance. i.e. 1 light year between two points from a frame of reference in which those points are stationary. At half the speed of light, you would travel this distance in two Earth years, and would age 1.73 years on the ship.

Just for interest's sake, if you travel for 1.73 years at half the speed of light, you travel 0.86 light years, so the distance traveled that you measure from onboard the ship is shorter than that measured from Earth.