The Corroboree
Stillman

Aqis are the C word

So today I got a package from the US that had been opened that had a nice note in it stating that my seeds had been seized and are to be destroyed. I imported Tomatillo seeds. The package has the declaration on it. It is from a reputable dealer not an ebayer. Man I didn't even know you can't bring tomatillo seeds into the country. I hate Aqis so much.

• Like 1

Shit thats no good mate.

Did they give you a reason for why they seized them?

edit

Edited by tipz

They are a permitted import but have a whole heap of hoops to jump through to import so looks only to be viable for a commercial operation:

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8533181&intCommodityId=25354&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

just scoop the seeds out of one from the supermarket...

• Like 3

One of us needs to get a commercial business running here so we can import all the seeds and plants we want

And distribute them through the community

Wat kind of dollars do you think you'd be looking at to be able to get something like this initially started

I know for individuals it doesn't work out great and prices are through the roof but if you were able to import larger commercial quantities

Wich could be sold off even if it was just enough to break even and maybe gain a small profit maybe it could be made worthwhile

Imagine the range of great plants we could get here that are not here

I'm so over this bullshit with trying to sneak things through the mail system and hope you don't lose your shit

shruman has kindly posted a link to the AQIS ICON database.

Always check it before you import anything like this, as it can usually advise in advance that it probably won't get through if intercepted.

• Like 1

I have tomatillos already the but these were a giant commercial variety. It would I imagine have made it through had it not been declared. What annoys me the most is that on my letter from them it states that the product seaized is one pack of tomato seeds. Which is an allowable import. True enough Tomatillo aren't on the list but Aqis haven't even bothered to fill the form out correctly. Hey Shruman can you get tomatillos where you are? I can only get tinned and they are shit. Man I was gonna import a couple thousand seeds a few years ago and do a semi commercial thing for the mexican food market. Makes me want to do it again lol.

Edited by Stillman

I get heaps of seed from my food. So long as you aren't growing it commercially or to sell on then there is not a lot that can be done, even if it does have a breeders rights thingummy. One of the interesting experiments I did once was a whole bunch of germination trials on beans, peas etc. on dried seed bought from various organic growers. Everything I could germinate, except for USDA organic soy beans.

Try doing that with dried beans and seeds from anywhere else (spices too) and it simply won't work.

That's one of the reasons big corporations hate the organic industry - they don't treat the seed with radiation so you can grow it, unlike their own ultra-sterilised shit.

They still should have given you the option of getting the permit & treating the seed as per Condition C7162

• Like 3

just scoop the seeds out of one from the supermarket...

i never saw tomatillo fruit in oz supermarkets, but tamarillo, yes, no problem!!

late edit: Physalis peruviana, a close relative to the tomatillo (Physalis philadelphica) is a very common (weed) in australia.

physalis, was cultivated at all stop over places, of the old shiping routs.

the sailors "planted them" everywhere, so they could avoid scorbut.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

My bad, i'll guess i'll just balem it on dislexia :P:lol:

Well I contacted them and it seems the seeds have to be inspected and cleaned in Australia apparently, even though they are a allowable and were sent by a seed company and were sent clean? They gave me a number so will give them a ring today.

The cleaning is probably a disinfection dip for moko disease.

Brace yourself for the bill :blink:

• Like 1

I'd say its for MOKO. Well I won't worry if its ridiculous expensive. Get this the number they gave me for the nursery arm is no longer correct so waiting on a new number... its just so easy.

Actually talked to a really nice lady at Aqis this morning. I think my seeds have been mistakenly placed in the Tomato list and may have been detained due to this. Anyway talked to varous agencies within Aqis eventually getting back to the nice lady who is going to look into it. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact my tomatillos will be destroyed but worth a go. It does seem like noone really understands the whole process within the organisation kinda frustrating lucky its only a 8 dollar purchase.

I think I also got Tomatillo and Tamarillo confused.

Tomatillos look very cool indeed; I love Physalis peruviana so would love to have some giant Tomatillos to eat.

Stillman, if you have any luck with these or would be willing to try again (despite your current setback), would you mind selling on a few seeds? I have just the spot for them!

Yes Moko looks to be their concern:

"Condition C7162

Alternate seed hosts of Moko disease.

Quarantine Procedures

i) Seeds must be immersed in a 1% sodium hypochlorite solution (1% available chlorine) for 10 minutes (T9371) under AQIS supervision at a quarantine-approved premise."

You have to fill all their requirements but AQIS labour aint cheap (let us know if they tell you how much it will cost)

"Table 1: List of Permitted Species. These species may be imported subject to the conditions C7162, C7100, C7179, C7180"

From the link provided above.

Whitewind I have some rio verde tomatillo seed from last season. Which are a really big fruit too just not as big as the giant commercial crop. pm me if you would like some seed.

Actually talked to a really nice lady at Aqis this morning. Aqis eventually getting back to the nice lady who is going to look into it.

i totaly agree, they are a very nice bunch of people there, my guess is, they piss off, so many people, so they only employ "nice people", which can deal with all the comotion.

the best, is give them a ring first, and than order.

but try to make your homework beforhand. when i ordered hoodia seeds, some of the stuff assumed they were cites protected, and some of the hoodias are, as a fact, but not gordonii.

Actually AQIS are really poorly staffed. One day I did my homework, lots of paperwork, talking etc. and told them I would be bringing the plants home in my suitcase I will hand them over at the airport.

"Something to declare sir?" "Yes, here's the damned paperwork!" The guy shit himself, I spent two hours sorting through the confusion and then the plants ended up in a fridge, lost and forgotten for about 7 days with me on the phone constantly trying to track them down.

I lost almost half, it was only because I spent loads of time going up to their almost empty state of the art facilities to check up on my stuff that it survived.

I won't import live plants again unless I own the quarantine facility to bring them over to.

Saying that, AQIS people were more than helpful when talking to on the phone, and they didn't really mind me visiting the nursery I think I was a bit unusual about how much I cared though they did complain about one dude who came daily to check on his stuff, he had heaps of things brought in from China. I actually got on pretty well with them, but I hate the fact they use Methyl Bromide to sterilise the plants and the fact they always seemed over-watered when I came to visit; the things had lost their roots with all the stress so water-logging wasn't really that good for them.

I think I also got Tomatillo and Tamarillo confused.

Actually I think they are confused - when I travelled in South America, I found that the plant we call Tamarillo (Solanum betaceum) is widely called Tomatillo.

so they got back to me $130 and the seeds are mine. I said i'll give it a miss.

Saying that, AQIS people were more than helpful when talking to on the phone, and they didn't really mind me visiting the nursery I think I was a bit unusual about how much I cared though they did complain about one dude who came daily to check on his stuff, he had heaps of things brought in from China. I actually got on pretty well with them, but I hate the fact they use Methyl Bromide to sterilise the plants and the fact they always seemed over-watered when I came to visit; the things had lost their roots with all the stress so water-logging wasn't really that good for them.

That's amazing that they let you into their quarantine facility. Did they make you wear a bug suit or anything?

Even some Cannabis growers do that when they visit different indoor gardens.

Edited by Bread Filter

Actually AQIS are really poorly staffed. One day I did my homework, lots of paperwork, talking etc. and told them I would be bringing the plants home in my suitcase I will hand them over at the airport.

"Something to declare sir?" "Yes, here's the damned paperwork!" The guy shit himself, I spent two hours sorting through the confusion and then the plants ended up in a fridge, lost and forgotten for about 7 days with me on the phone constantly trying to track them down.

I lost almost half, it was only because I spent loads of time going up to their almost empty state of the art facilities to check up on my stuff that it survived.

I won't import live plants again unless I own the quarantine facility to bring them over to.

the airport people definately deserve the C word!

your story is terrible, you did everything right and still, they fucked you over.

coming back to my hoodia seed story, no doubt in my mind that, if i would have brought them into oz via a plane they would have taken them off me, in short, mailing is better.