The Corroboree
Stillman

Herbal Teas

I absolutely love tea. I drink tea of any kind like people drink water. I'd recommend b. caapi, turmeric, licorice, garlic. I love T2's Detox with added rosehips or chamomile. Love mint. Some of the awesome ones aren't allowed to grow... fly agaric, coca, p som etc. Highly recommend caapi, leaves a nice glow :)

• Like 1

i noticed lately, that chamomile doe's send me to slepp, but after two hours, i wake up again and feel very active.

i start to realise that many plants seem to posess, dual opposing actions.

catha = speedy + sleepy

kratom = speedy + sleepy

cannabis = first speedy and later sleepy

chammomile = first sleepy and than speedy??

Edited by planthelper

cannabis = first speedy and later sleepy

According to Ayurveda:

On the spiritual level, ganja has a specific action on the three gunas. In the initial euphoria phase, the sattva guna is activated. Later, as giggles and "munchies" set in, rajas predominates. Finally, the long-term effect is that of tamas, leading to a dull and foggy state of mind.
  • Like 1

I am currently veryinterested in the properties of Pimpinella anisum or Anise Very interesting plant, amazing in food the backbone of many liqueurs and containing some very powerful elements. Sourced a heap of seeds and am going to have a go at growing them out for the fresh green seed.

Spring has kicked in here, man German chamomile is a weed. Any way some pics

Ashwagandha

DSCF2264.jpg

Valerian

DSCF2271.jpg

German Chamomile

DSCF2265.jpg

florence fennel

DSCF2269.jpg

Mexican Tarragon

DSCF2248.jpg

Green anise

DSCF2268.jpg

Motherwort

DSCF2266.jpg

• Like 8

I have been experimenting with passionflower, mugwort and damiana of late, with mixed results.

Mugwort Tea

- About 2 dozen 2 inch mugwort leaves (a decent "clump" you can just break off)

- Cinnamon (Fresh or ground) and Honey to taste

Preparation -

1. Put enough water to fill your teapot onto the boil and gently boil the mugwort for 7-10 mins.

2. You will end up with a pale straw to green tea coloured tea pour this into your teapot. Dont discard the mugwort, add it to your teapot (if convenient, if u have grabbed a decent clump as suggested)

3. (optional) Depending on what type of cinnamon you have used, I used ground cinnamon and added it to the teapot after boiling the mugwort. If I was using sticks, I'd boil it with the mugwort. Add honey to taste.

Effects - combined with a little bit of smoked dried mugwort, tranquil, calm and happy mood for around 4 hours (a little distorted time perception). Had I not been preoccupied I would have likely dozed off. After that, buzzy, uplifting but still mellow for about 6 hours (6pm-10pm and then 10pm-4:30am respectively).

Cautions- I did have some transient stomach cramps around midnight. I hadnt eaten since around 4pm but it wasnt hunger pangs. Slight headache that I cleaned up with a little hydration.

Damiana, Blue Lotus/lily, and passionflower tea

Method (This is where I went wrong I think)

1. Boiled a teapot

2. added two tablespoons damiana(proper tablespoons, not dinner spoons)

3. added roughly 5 grams dried blue lotus leaves

4. added two tablespoons passionflower

5. Tablespoon Honey

6. added the juice of one lemon and stirred

(I kept the loose herbs in the teapot as I drank and just strained them out into a cup)

Effects - Nothing particularly special while awake. A little drowsy. Went to bed about 3 hours after. slept like the dead with some excellent lucid dreaming and dream recall... To the point I awoke to the sound of my freakin neighbours birds before dozing back off into the same dream on two occasions.

Tastes great, the passionflower and lily didnt really alter the taste. I usually drink damiana tea and thats all I could taste.

I'm going to revisit this one. Except I'm going to increase the blue lily to about 15 grams and possibly add mugwort. Boil them for at least 5 minutes before adding the damiana. Might exclude the passionflower in favour of the mugwort. Or not. suggestions?

Edited by Safez
  • Like 2

I make teas and decoctions from nearly all of my aromatic, medicinal and psychoactive plants.

From the aromatic plants I can recommend the following:

Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi, the holy basil from India)

Alpinia galanga (Galgant- root)

Fragaria vesca (The fermented wood strawberry- leaves also taste very good)

Mentha arvensis var. Banana (Bananamint)

Mentha piperita var. citrata 'Kölnischwasserminze' (smells like the parfum)

Mentha spicata var. crispa (Maroccan mint)

Mentha sp. 'Nemorosa' (Mojito- mint)

Mentha aquatica (Water mint)

Mentha longifolia 'Karoo' (very unique smell, sweet but even refreshing)

Mentha x piperita var. citrata 'Strawberry mint' (very recommendable!!)

Micromeria thymifolia (Slowenian mountain mint)

Salvia darcyi 'Guava sage' (the Mexican sage with guava smell)

Salvia rutilans'Pineapple sage'

Mertensia maritima (the oyster plant which also tastes like oysters)

Nashia inaguensis (Moujean-tea- has a wonderful bergamotte-smell, from the caribbean)

Limnophila aromatica (Rice paddy plant, a unique flavour and smell like the air after a thunderstorm with a little bit citrus

and cumin)

Cyperus esculentus (chufa nutsedge, the small rhizomes taste like coconut and are very healthy, the old egyptians also

used it and it is cooked in milk to horchata de chufa in spain

Gaultheria procumbens (lovely refreshing unique Wintergreen, which share the methyl salicylate smell with coca)

Oxalis tuberosa (for asour flavour in tea instead of lemon)

Apium nodiflorum (Sedanina, an aromatic healing plant)

Thymus serphyllum (wild thyme, against hangover, bacteria, flu and more)

Oxyria digyna (nice sour taste)

Schisandra chinensis (Schizandra, a cold-hardy climbing plant which have medicinal leaves and berries with all tastes,

sour, sweet, hot and salty)

Arthrocnemum glaucum (very crunchy and salty taste, grows at beaches)

Triglochin maritima (salty taste too)

Origanum vulgare (wild oregano)

Prostanthera cuneata (TASMANIAN Mint-bush)

Poliomintha longiflora (Mexican oregano, mushroom-like sharp intense oregano- smell)

Satureja biflora (African lemon savory has the most lovely lemon-taste of all the lemon-plant-flavours)

Melissa officinalis var. altissima (Crete lemon balm, the highest rosmarinic acid- content)

Leptospermum citratum (Lemon scented tea tree, in Oz and NZ, the most refreshing lemon-flavour)

Rubus thibetanus (Tibetan raspberry, also the leaves of raspberries tastes good as tea)

Rubus arcticus (Arctic blackberry)

Tasmannia lanceolata (Mountain pepper, you can also make an analgesic tea from the leaves)

Solanum centrale (Australian bush tomatoe, the dried fruits can also be used for tea-mixes)

Stevia rebaudiana (the famous sweet herb)

Lippia dulcis (sweet taste with some camphor-components)

Lippia citriodora (intense lemon- flavour)

Spilanthes oleracea (for tea against toothache)

Backhousia citriodora (Australian lemon myrtle, very euphoric refreshing lemon scent)

Rungia klossii (mushroom-herb from Papua New Guinea)

Ocimum sp. 'Papua New Guinea' (a basil from PNG with anise-components)

Gynostemma pentaphyllum (the chinese Jiaogulan, a great medicinal, climbing and sweet herb)

Hydrangea serrata (the leaves are sweet tasting and entheogen in japan)

Spondias dulcis (Ambarella, sour tasting leaves, also used in south pacific)

Mesembryanthemum cristallinum (salty-sour taste because of soda)

Coridothymus capitatus (Z'atar, an arabian ornamental small shrub with a very dry thyme-scent)

and many more

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

definitely think mulungu helps to make a pleasant relaxing tea (taste though, not so sure only ever insufflated-tea drinking is for sissys :lol: )

but seriously, I infuse 1tsp of mulungu and 1tsp of damiana with that green tea with the pretentious sounding name that i cant think of right now, lemon and ginger and it doesnt taste toooooooo bad

in my mind its kind of like the weakest speedball ever :wink:

edit: yerba mate'

Edited by eatingsand

I have a cali poppy growing which part do you make tea from?

The leaves and stems, the flowers can also be used. The tea is very bitter so it always best in a mix

The leaves and stems, the flowers can also be used. The tea is very bitter so it always best in a mix

... the whole herb exept the root can be used. Eschscholzia c. The seeds, flowers and pots are most potent and shoud not been taken it too high doses. ...I only take a few teaspoons of the dried herb. The fresh fruits can be chewed.

mulungu is a very safe sedative, also in higher doses

I've been making alot of tea lately from German chamomile and mexican tarragon from the garden. Using fresh leaves and flowers and found this online http://www.drugs-for...ead.php?t=23400

Interesting read and I would say the tea does seem to put me in my seat. Also I have noticed it gives me really lucid dreams. I intend to add some Mugwort and maybe some Calea to this combination down later in the Season as a dream enhancing tea?

Edited by Stillman

WHats a good way to dry chamomile flowers?

DSCF2369_zps73c651fd.jpg

DSCF2001-10.jpg

I am going to give this seed starting box I built for cacti a go, I think it gets to about 27 to 30 degrees I'm hoping it won't damage any volatile oils?

I'm seriously thinking about putting a quarter acre of German chamomile in late summer early autumn, probably in conjuncture with a few other tea herbs. Who wants to come up to QLD for a seasonal herb picking "holiday". lol. They really are a pain in the arse to pic. http://www.nwbotanicals.org/oak/altagri/chamgerm.htm

• Like 1

I use chamomile for skin diseases, especially on sensitive mucosal. I always dry it in the dark, but the heat should be no problem, because under heat and oxygen the Matricine is converted to the antiphlogistic Chamazulen, which gives the essential oil its blue colour. The also active Bisabolol should not be converted.

Here is a picture from the pure essential chamomile oil:

33cwsp3.jpg

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

... the whole herb exept the root can be used. Eschscholzia c. The seeds, flowers and pots are most potent and shoud not been taken it too high doses. ...I only take a few teaspoons of the dried herb. The fresh fruits can be chewed.

Please note he asked what I USE, Not wich parts are usable. While the information you gave is of value i cant help but feel you were being slightly critical.

Also wich tea do you make that requires much more then a few tea spoons of?

I like a mixture of damiana, catnip and mugwort. I find after 2 -3 cups I will doze off on the couch with no recollection of when I went to sleep. If I go to bed before I zonk out, I fall asleep easily and quickly and experience dreams ranging from vivid to lucid with good recall. I have tried all three in different variants but do not achive such a good result, including on their own. My ratio would be one tablespoon of damiana, on tablespoon of mugwort and two to three tablespoons of catnip to make two to three cups of tea, steeped as long as consumably possible :) honey is a must for me.

haha, changed food recall to good recall. I rarely dream of food lol

Edited by Opticaldelusion
  • Like 2

@eatfoo:

I wasn't a bit critical and I didn't want to "teach" which materials you should use, so I think you misunderstood my post. I only wanted to note which parts can also be used.

...with a fine herb powder, a few teaspoons are equal to a few gram, this infused in cooking water with lemon juice added, had definitely an sedative effect on me.

Edited by mindperformer

Mindperformer have you done much experimenting with Artemisia sp particularly vulgarus, absinthium and pontica? I have all three growing and am looking forward to doing something tea wise with them? From what I have read they all have the capabilities of enhancing dreams?

The Celestial Seasonings teas are awesome....

I'm a big fan of the "tension tamer" Eleuthero root being the key ingredient from memory...

Growing some pineapple sage, apparently that's a nice brew. Haven't made one yet.

Took a heap of leaves from some lemon myrtle recently and dried then chopped them. Great in a marmalade, might see how it works as a tea....

yeah, I love lemon myrtle and also made icecream with it, the smell is antidepressive and the powder can also be used for desserts

my lemon myrtle (Backhousia citriodora):

359gsci.jpg

• Like 1

Any one growing and drinking Brahmi?

http://bestbrahmi.com/aboutbrahmi.html

http://en.wikipedia....Bacopa_monnieri

http://ayurvednews.b...your-brain.html

http://www.planetherbs.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Bacopa-monieri-The-True-Brahmi.html&Itemid=141

I'm hoping to go back to Uni next year and looking to reverse some "damage" lol The plant seems very weedy in my climate, and after looking it up I might grow it standing in water as it heats up. Does anyone know what sort of dosage for teas? I figure I will be using it fresh not dried?

DSCF2002-12.jpg

DSCF2003-10.jpg

Edited by Stillman

yeah, weve been growing Brahmi for a couple of years, and yeah it loves its water.

as for tea doses, i usually thro a few sprigs (fresh) in any other herbal tea I'm brewing,

which is Tulsi based most of the time.

• Like 1