The Corroboree
Torsten

anyone willing to do on-camera interview about ayahuasca?

I accidentally read that as 'colonoscopy of microscopic leprechauns' -- which is probably more likely to occur than brain damage from psychedelics?

I'm curious to read Greg's original complaint, as it's obvious from their reply they haven't attempted to address ANYTHING whatsoever.

They made an appeal to authority, and that's about it.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 1

Hiyall,

It has taken a while to get the final report from the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) ombudsman, but here it is in all its glory:

http://engage.acma.gov.au/acmai/hsv-7-seven-news-investigations-report-2930/

They decided that no breach of the code had been made, but we already knew that this would be the case. I think that the logic of their report is incredibly flawed and it seems obvious that they were doing their best to appease Seven, but hopefully Seven will think twice before they launch another such attack on our community.

Greg

• Like 5

I hope many members have the time to read this report, thank you who ever filed this complaint, you did a good job.

and it does feel better now...

those channel 7 losers, trying to trample on our sacred sacrament.

our sacrament is real, the bread of Christ for example is not.

but what would happen if channel 7 would trample on the bread of Christ.

prejudice, is a most terrible thing, and channel 7 is guilty of prejudice!

I never curse people, but all those people involved with channel seven regarding this report, ought to have a pain full and slow death.

I hope your children are street drugs addicts, and can only be helped with our sacraments, that would open your eyes....

• Like 3

I hope many members have the time to read this report, thank you who ever filed this complaint, you did a good job.

That would be GregKaserik.

I should also point out that this isn't quite over yet.

I still have the option of proceeding to the Ombudsman and am considering doing so on the basis that they entirely failed to deal with the substance of my complaint with respect to the scientific and cultural aspects of the program.

I should point out that it landed in my inbox in early March, but was missed until today, due to the volume of other emails arriving at the same time.

This is the email reply that I received from ACMA:

"Dear Mr Kasarik

Investigation—HSV—Seven News—6/8/12

As you are aware, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA) has been investigating your complaint about the above program.

The ACMA has determined that the Channel Seven Melbourne Pty Ltd did not breach clause 1.9.6, 4.3.2 or 4.4.1 of the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice 2010.

I attach, for your information, a copy of the Investigation Report, including the decision and the reasons for that decision.

The ACMA has also decided to publish the Investigation Report. Publication will include the full report being posted on the ACMA’s website and an investigation summary appearing in the ACMA’s Annual Report and other ACMA publications.

The ACMA treats all broadcasting complaints seriously and aims to investigate complaints thoroughly and impartially, and in a timely manner. However, if you have concerns about the way in which the ACMA conducted this investigation you may wish to make a complaint to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman or seek independent advice about potential avenues of review. The Ombudsman can investigate complaints about the administrative actions and decisions of Commonwealth government agencies, including the ACMA. More information about the role of the Ombudsman and how to make a complaint is on the Ombudsman’s website at: http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/ or you can call 1300 362 072.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the ACMA."

• Like 2

greg, thank you for all your efforts!

let's get the best brainstorm happening ever, to supply you with an array of ideas you could follow up.

the whole program was fashioned in a style which was derogatory.

a highly respected medical person on our side is what would help.

anyway, please reply to this thread with any good suggestions you have, which could help greg, with his letter to the ombudsman!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your efforts Greg.

Although we don't have any laws on the books in the same way the US does, i think religious freedom might actually be a viable angle. In the modern world, many less people participate in formal religion but in my experience most people are still spiritual despite our frequent cynicism regarding cynicism as a plague of the era.

Or maybe that whole line is a little optimistic. One thing that would make things interesting is that pituri and corkwood for example would be illegal since trope containing plants are in theory right? So little is known, at least by white man, of murri intoxicants that the elders might even be able to assist our cause right now, by establishing traditional plant use as at least protected for their use. That's a foot in the door for the use of sacrements other than booze/blood in religion in general.

Virtually all traditional sacrament use stopped with the introduction of spirits in this country, of which many communities are now fighting tooth and nail to restrict availability. There is a pretty damn strong argument to encourage use of things like pituri to at least offset the massive alcohol, kava, inhalant, cannabis, and other dependencies which plague so much of their society today.

IIRC, before 1850 or pituri was so popular there were well established trade routes from known (but secret) "good" plants of SWQ which ran massive quantities all the way up to the Torres Strait.

I have never seen a return to traditional intoxicants suggested as a solution to the substance problems the ATSI community faces, unless you count the obviously misguided attempt to introduce yet another intoxicant, kava which did little more than teach people how to mix downers. Powder is generally mixed directly with rum in my area, no other preparation is made AFAIK. But I'm a white guy and obviously no expert.

Actually speaking of kava, it deserves more clarification and perhaps even local cultivation regarding it's legality. Both it and qat are permissible within certain quantities for what would seem like even just vaguely traditional/cultural reasons, not at all grounded in religion or even ethnicity. You could say that south american maté is sort of tolerated as well. Some of these are extremely illegal drugs which when intended for traditional use are seen as not worth battling perhaps.

Fighting on basis of not just culture but religion has to be even more powerful. Especially if we end out with an even more conservative federal government.

As UDV and others have helped spread aya centric religious ceremony into urban areas in Brazil for 20 years now, I wonder how common it is for expats living here to have previously practiced in a sacramental light church before?

One of the most intriguing things for me is to see how much sacred knowledge they would be willing to pass on if the elders thought this would be a productive direction to take communities in. I find it extremely unlikely that in 40k years on the most DMT rich continent in the world nobody worked out how to do anything with it.

Torston, others - out of curiosity, what kind of legal hurdles would one face if attempting to establish a kava farm in Australia right now? (oh what a dream, I'm proud to be keeping one plant alive!) Would it be harder than going through the process to grow low-thc hemp, tobacco or poppies for example? Or since these all have strong systems established around them already is it a completely unknown area?

I've often wondered what issues one would face if attempting to grow other powerful but legal sacrements commercially. Iboga is tricky territory I know, but many many others things like other salvia species, silene capensis, that hodgkinsine containing plant, various "wild daggas" and animal appendages, heimia, zornia, calea sceletium and countless legal tcm and ayurvedic products which could be grown quite easily in many, many parts of the country on relatively crappy land. These I assume are currently mostly sourced in bulk from overseas?

Edit: OR, more than six months on now, the best option is to simply be thankful that no media frenzy has erupted and perhaps fighting it will only bring more attention that we don't really want. i love my babies :/

Edited by endorfinder
  • Like 1

Just seen this thread for the first time...

...this is why I don't watch television. Not surprised at all, and not impressed in the slightest, either.

But I would like to say that you guys did/are doing a wonderful job at handling this.

I've often wondered what issues one would face if attempting to grow other powerful but legal sacrements commercially. Iboga is tricky territory I know, but many many others things like other salvia species, silene capensis, that hodgkinsine containing plant, various "wild daggas" and animal appendages, heimia, zornia, calea sceletium and countless legal tcm and ayurvedic products which could be grown quite easily in many, many parts of the country on relatively crappy land. These I assume are currently mostly sourced in bulk from overseas?

I'm fascinated with Iboga and I think it's shameful that more research hasn't been done about it. I did read one really great (long) article about using it to treat addiction though, if you're interested (only semi-relevant though):

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-11-17/news/ibogaine-hallucingen-heroin/full/

I'm also keen and intending to grow most of the others you've listed there. I know I've made my focus on TCM clear already, but I have every intention of growing shamanistic spiritual medicine as well, for a different kind of healing. I would love to be able to competently classify such plants according to TCM, too... but that's a long way off. Gotta start growing early!

If there are legal hurdles regarding this, I'd love to hear about them.

I believe a return to pituri would be a good idea, and destroying the pituri trade, destroyed the aboriginals no doubt.

that's what colonists do, by destroying the sacrament, one can conquer the country easier.

or let's look what happened to coca producing countries, only the drug dealers get rich, and the farmers stay poor. if those countries could sell there harmless products world wide, the poverty problem in south America could maybe get fixed.

but most people with power and money have dark hearts, and this is why there are so many poor people on this planet.

• Like 1

I believe a return to pituri would be a good idea, and destroying the pituri trade, destroyed the aboriginals no doubt.

that's what colonists do, by destroying the sacrament, one can conquer the country easier.

or let's look what happened to coca producing countries, only the drug dealers get rich, and the farmers stay poor. if those countries could sell there harmless products world wide, the poverty problem in south America could maybe get fixed.

but most people with power and money have dark hearts, and this is why there are so many poor people on this planet.

well said... sad but true.

Ahh People still being afraid of what they dont understand. Lucky Im a Black, asian,homosexual, communist who has a penchant for sacramental plants and fungi

Lucky you don't live in Queensland, most of those things are illegal aren't they?

Ahh People still being afraid of what they dont understand. Lucky Im a Black, asian,homosexual, communist who has a penchant for sacramental plants and fungi

Lucky you don't live in Queensland, most of those things are illegal aren't they?