The Corroboree
GregKasarik

Sunday Night Safran & Transcendent Compounds - 5th Aug

People will most likely remember John Safran as being the person who famously "road tested" peyote with the Native American Church, during his "Safran vs God" series. Those who are from Melbourne, will most likely have heard of Father Bob, the eternally cheerful and upbeat Catholic priest who came to prominence while being forced to retire by the church.

These days they share a radio show on Triple J, called "Sunday Night Safran", in which they discuss "Religion, politics and all things ethnic".

They have been kind enough to invite me in for a chat about Transcendent Compounds and my ongoing campaign to obtain regulated access for religious use.

The interview will be broadcast this Sunday evening (5 Aug) and hopefully will be interesting, entertaining and informative in equal measure.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/safran/

Edited by GregKasarik
  • Like 6

very exciting, i cant wait.

good luck

Awesome this should be good.

I've always been a big Safran fan but what annoyed me about the peyote episode was how he just sipped it over a few hours thus probably leading to his mainly negative experience, i guess no one told him how it should of been consumed (as i understand).

Also that sounds great Greg and I wish you luck but it has also always annoyed me why religous use is considered somehow better than other uses but I guess its just mainly that thats the only way there is any chance of leniency?

Looking forward to it.

good news :) i'm glad to hear of any progress

keep it up greg

Hi Greg,

Sounds fantastic and would love to hear. However, don't have TV or radio access so I would have to wait until is posted online somewhere - would love a link if you get one?

Cheers

do they post their shows on the jjj website? i'm hoping they do cause i may not be able to tune in at the right time...

w00t, will listen in for sure

I like Sunday nights on triple j - Sunday night Safran with father Bob is usually interesting and entertaining. It's followed by The Sound Lab with Fenella Kernebone - experimental electronica ..mmmmmm.. Fenella

Yes, they post podcasts of this show on the tripleJ website (a day or so aftewrwards)

• Like 3

^sweet, will have to post a link to the podcast on this thread when available

• Like 1

Awesome this should be good.

I've always been a big Safran fan but what annoyed me about the peyote episode was how he just sipped it over a few hours thus probably leading to his mainly negative experience, i guess no one told him how it should of been consumed (as i understand).

Also that sounds great Greg and I wish you luck but it has also always annoyed me why religous use is considered somehow better than other uses but I guess its just mainly that thats the only way there is any chance of leniency?

Looking forward to it.

I agree with you on both points. Safran took way too long to consume his peyote, and as a result didn't really get much out of it. I didn't think his comment at the end about "this being a religion that blames you" was fair either. However, the episode was entertaining and was much more balanced and non-judgemental than most of what comes onto our screens.

I don't believe that religious use of these compounds is "better" than other uses. They are a heap of fun and I think that recreational use is just as valid as religious use. I love to dance while tripping, so at what point does religious use become "recreational" in the eyes of some?. But the fact is that my use of these is an inseparable part of my spirituality and it is this that motivates me to fight for my rights. If my use of these was purely recreational, I honestly don't think that I would have decided to fight this fight and make the sacrifices that I have made.

• Like 2

nice one, sounds like a good opportunity to get your message out there! yeah totally grill saffran on why he dismissed the psychedelic plants after that half hearted peyote session. if he had done a proper ayahuasca or iboga or mushroom ritual, i'm sure he would have found what he was looking for. discussing the catholic church's use of a benign sacrament (i.e. bread and wine), and john allegro's theories etc might make an interesting conversation with father john.

I agree with you on both points. Safran took way too long to consume his peyote, and as a result didn't really get much out of it. I didn't think his comment at the end about "this being a religion that blames you" was fair either. However, the episode was entertaining and was much more balanced and non-judgemental than most of what comes onto our screens.

I don't believe that religious use of these compounds is "better" than other uses. They are a heap of fun and I think that recreational use is just as valid as religious use. I love to dance while tripping, so at what point does religious use become "recreational" in the eyes of some?. But the fact is that my use of these is an inseparable part of my spirituality and it is this that motivates me to fight for my rights. If my use of these was purely recreational, I honestly don't think that I would have decided to fight this fight and make the sacrifices that I have made.

Yeah that's a really good point and very well said, and I appreciate what your doing that's for sure :) .

I'll def be listening to this one, haven't heard much of that show in a while but I liked what I had heard previously, Father Bob and Safran go together surprisingly well I reckon.

Best of luck with it mate.

can get the podcasts through itunes, free download

just go to podcasts and search for safran

I assume you could just stream jjj at the time of the interview from there website... Its a live stream

Good luck Greg, looking forward to listening in (or checking out the podcast!)

We pre-recorded the interview today and all I can say is that these things go much more smoothly in one's head prior to sitting in front of the mike!

This was way different from what I am used to, but I think I got my main points across, but was quite nervous and probably a bit too serious. I also think that I could have communicated more effectively and been much more structured in what I said.

It was certainly a learning experience... :unsure:

I did speak to a couple of other presenters who expressed interest in getting me onto their shows, so I may have yet more opportunities to get the practice I need. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for letting me know, thats awesome.

mega props to you

Ooo I'm so excited to hear what you sound like!

When I read your posts I thought to myself 'I really hope he's not too serious' :P

Looking forward to it!

On a related note, you know what's annoying? John Safran did a whole series in the US that was never released and looks like it may never be. HOW FUCKING ANNOYING IS THAT??

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

can't wait to hear it, too serious is probably better than too loose when it comes to this contentious area.

great work dude! will tune in for sure! see if you can convert father bob!

i know he hates the comparison, but i still can't get over the uncanny likeness in mannerisms between j.safran and Carpedmt. it freaks me out !

• Like 1

You can stream JJJ off their website too I'm pretty sure so if you don't want to hang around for the podcast can just go to the site:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/listen.htm

Thanks for the heads up going to tune in for sure sounds like it'll be interesting :)

just sipped it over a few hours thus probably leading to his mainly negative experience, i guess no one told him how it should of been consumed (as i understand).

Just out of interest, the instructions you are given before drinking Peyote at the church is to sip the tea over a period of 2-4 hours or more in order not to vomit it up too soon. Of course you can drink it however you want, but those are actually the specific instructions given. Probably his negative experience had more to do with his preconceived notions prior to drinking, what he was looking for in a story, or something peyote wanted to show him that he may have had difficulting understanding or embracing.

Good luck on the show!

• Like 1