The Corroboree
applesnail

Man goes to near-space, checks out view, and jumps

"the extreme skydiver was plumetting towards Earth at speeds reaching 862 kilometres per hour. His freefall from 29,455 metres lasted 3 minutes and 48 seconds. His parachute then opened, leading to a 10 minute and 36 second descent into the desert of New Mexico."

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2012/07/man-goes-to-near-space-checks.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

Holy shit he must've trusted the hell out of his parachute.

Does anyone know what it is he is jumping out of?

That's some crazy, crazy stuff!

• Like 1

There's a you tube clip where Joe Kittinger explains that one of the spacesuit's gloves malfunctioned in some way causing his hand to be exposed to the extreme conditions during the 1960 jump. From memory he suffered a very painful injury to his hand from the extreme pressure difference and temperature.

Edited by Sonny Jim

Holy shit he must've trusted the hell out of his parachute.

its funny you say that cbl, the fact is more people have died falling from small ladders than from parachute failing so i supposr the moral is if your gonna die from heights then make it an epic failure

i've had two members of my local community end up in hospital in the last 6 months from falling off ladders. One was in a critical condition for three weeks, the other with a full wrist reconstruction (and she WAS a yoga instructor) .

neither of the falls were from any great height.

ladders are deceptively deadly !

ladders are deceptively deadly !

Moral of the story is we should all go skydiving!

If you've never done it, then i highly recommend it ASAP. The rush you will attain is better than any substance or meditation could ever give you.

"Sphincter-clenching fear, The most absurd adrenalin rush ever, followed by the most serene moments life can dish up - Every Time! No such as thing as tolerance at 320km an hour" - 2Deep

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci

• Like 1

I fell off 3 ladders this year. But each time it's from me going down in a hurry frontwards, last one taught me my lesson though.

I would never jump from a perfectly good plane. I've always been scared of heights though I'm rapidly overcoming it. It's an easy fear to conquer.

Falling off ladders is male menopause.

• Like 1

Will watch too! Guy will smash on the ground like a potatoe...

Edited by Evil Genius

No waaay :)

I'm calling success ( weather pending ).

edit : ( lets put a friendly wager of a hundred of our finest cacti seed EG ;) )

Edited by tipz

Gotta remember to watch this. Very interested.