The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bigred

colloidal silver in mycelium

i made some honey water with some mycelium of portabello mushrooms that i toke spores from the mushrooms i bought at coles

i been wondering the effects it has on innoculants and myceliem i have had good growth and its been 2 days so i added .2ml

peroxide 6% witch contains coildal silver per hundred mills it doesnt seem to have killed it but gowth has slowed a little is it benificial

or dangerous im new to mycology but it does wonders in hydroponics

thanks big red

I've never heard of anyone adding colloidal silver to a liquid culture or to agar before, peroxide can be used in the creation of agar though.

From my understanding the peroxide will stop or severely slow down any new growth formations, so adding peroxide to a culture you're going to drop spores into is a bad idea, but if you're dropping something already alive like some tissue or some myc then any contamination spores will either be unable to germinate or have their germination and growth retarded.

Again... never heard of colloidal silver being used though, if you have great success let us know :D

you should check it out some really good posts on other forums from what i have gathered its a wonder supliment

but i will post further results of my experiments my honey water atm is looking quite healthy for a very young

colony i will have to do some plates to check for contam . one idea i had was to use it in brf tek's and then ad a bit during

sterilizing and inoculate with a live culture this might help cut contams drasticly

peace big red

with catheters the third one used tends to have a silver coating as it has antibacterial effects?

from what i researched it has strong anti baterial properties it will not harm myceluim but it will slow growth down

so if you want to make a inoculant i would suggest trying it but make sure your method is sterile and give it a chance to grow

when growth seems to have peaked ad some h2o2 and some colloidal silver i make a soulition of .00011 percent and add a few mls

my eperiment so far yesterday i sparayed a petrie dish that was fully cultured there has been know signs of mycelium being disrupted

will update i will also spray a sterile dish and see if contams colinize

peace bigred

Have you got results yet ?

ahh, i made a post here just before the site went down... something to the effect of :

"great experimentation, please keep us up to date with results.

out of curiosity is the product you are using (h202 + colloidal silver) 'hydrasil' by any chance? http://www.truwater.com.au/tank-rain-water-systems-tank-water-sanitation-c-378_285/hydrasil-tank-water-sanitiser-5-litre-p-1024 "

plant lov.e

i read your post mine is aus hydro plus i think they are close enough comparison and the two petrie dishs the standard is pretty contaminated

but the treated on has just gon moist no real signs of decompozing look pretty much the same so i have to admit i love colloidal silver in

liquid cultures i am yet to get my results on my lc but they are a fluffy perfect white looks like i caught a cloud in a jar very very happy just have to wait

till the petri dish collinizes to check for contams

i have to say i am really happy with the quality of my lc plus the agar plate has not changed while the other had to be destroyed it was scary

im thinking of treating a bulk substrate with coloidal silver and use a live culture the stuff i use can be bought at your local hydro store or if you

need a little i could post some anyway would like some help if anyone has some time to do a few plates and get your feedback would love

to share results i have had nothing but good results with it but i am not set up for big experiments just really me and a microscope

• Like 1

give me a couple of months and ill be able to bounce some ideas and results off you... still in setup mode.

cool if you need any help give me a yell

i have tried using colloidal silver on wbs and all seems to be going well and chances of contams are greatly reduced you should not skimp on your technique just use it as a safe guard its great stuff i just made a big batch of agar using coloidal silver should be great only if you are doing culture transfers

You do realise that colloidal silver is also a fungicide. Probably not the best thing to put in a substrate. I use it to keep things from going off in the fridge, it's also great for athletes foot and ringworm (both fungal infections)

but it does not harm mycelium,if you are using live cultures colloidal silver is great but not when your hatching spores. it also reduces the risk of contaminants if you have any questions about it let me know.

It is a fungicide, mycelium is fungus. If you have more than a trace of colloidal silver it will kill your mycelium. The only way you could get any growth in the presence of colloidal silver is if it was a bad batch. They put this stuff in paint to stop mold and use it on the space station to prevent mold and bacteria in the water recycling system.

i think you should be more open minded i have used plain colloidal silver with great success . I have also used a h202 mix from a completely different manufacturer there is alot of evidence to support my findings and there is ton's of literature on the net just google it . :wink:

I have been doing my own research on this however i have yet to come across anyone doing anything scientific (double blind testing / control groups ect). Do you have any links to anyone taking atleast a reasonably scientific approach to coloidal silver in regards to mushroom cultivation ?

there is not much out there thats kind of why i started this topic was hoping some guru might have a insight . If you have any info or links please post them would be a great help. do you have a supply of colloidal silver if your stuck i might be able to get a batch made of a high potentcy and you could dilute it to a strength you need

any way if you get stuck give me a yell

Thanks for the offer :)

I dont have any coloidal silver but i do find the stuff strangely interesting. - for its uses inside and outside of mycology. I also dont really have any great links to share, hence why i asked you for a good one :P

From what i have read though, coloidal silver does the following.

1) acts as both a disinfectant and antiseptic (bacteriocidal)

2) kills / stunts the germination of spores

3) Has minor effects on live myc culture in low concentrations

4) Isnt a replacement for sterile techniques

5) is often used with h2o2 where the silver acts as a catylist (this makes me wonder if these two substances could work in synergy) - i have no evidence to back this up but it does warrent futher research

6)The antibacterial action of silver has long been known to be enhanced by the presence of an electric field

7) Colloidal silver preparations primarily deliver inactive metallic silver, rather than the active microbicidal silver ion. (i think electrolysis is the best form of pereration)

Now dont take my word for gospel on any of this. But they are some things to think about, research and experiment with. :)

Edit: coloidal silver is often used as an alternative medicin, thus there is alot of misinformation floating around out there about it - definitely dont belive everthing you read about it and try to get as much evidence as you can about claims people make about it

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 1

thats pretty much what i know i had a university site but cant remember/find it the stuff works great in liquid cultures

will show some photos soon