The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Sabotaged by midgets

I had an interesting day today.

One of my kids has knocked over a box seedlings and created a nice mess for me to clean up.

I had to re-pot a few trays of Lophs which most will be OK, I lost a few little ones that had just emerged which pissed me off a bit.

I had a container of Carnegias that copped a good jolt when it landed and I don't really know what to do with it. They are less than 2 weeks old and don't have much of a root system so I'm tossing up options on how to deal with them. I did a rough guestimate yesterday on how many are in the container and I reckon there is over 400, many of them are buried alive.

Any suggestions?

Happy Digging! :)

Would leave the part on the right as it is and transplant the ones on the left in a new container. Good example why its not always recommendable to sow so many seeds in a small container. It works but it makes you a lot of work if something happens.

My cats do this shit all the time. :uzi:

• Like 1

Happy Digging! :)

Would leave the part on the right as it is and transplant the ones on the left in a new container. Good example why its not always recommendable to sow so many seeds in a small container. It works but it makes you a lot of work if something happens.

Yeah I've never planted so many in one container before.

I got about 2000 seeds for less than ten bucks, I wasn't expecting many of them to germinate.

I still have heaps of seeds left.

Hopefully they will be OK if I don't do anything until tomorrow I don't have anything to plant them in, I've just used all my potting ingredients on other projects.

You know, the more time i have to spend singeling out my mass sowings, the more i think it may actually be better to plant a limited amount of seed in a small quadrangular container. Went on to sow not more than 100 seeds in one container these days. You can always sow more if you want more. Most seed stays viable for a long time. But if your doing it commercially, its actually a bit diffrent. In this case, you can never have enough seedlings. ;)

• Like 1

That's how I've been doing it too lately, limiting to 100 per container and I've had mediocre results - 25 - 30% germination rates (this batch excepted).

The last few batches I sowed I've watered them in with a trichoderma solution and the germination rates have improved out of sight and the seedlings all look great.

i hate when that happens

midget tossing shit around these days huh........ in the olden days..... the midgets were the ones tossed around! cats too!

• Like 2

The fucking midget nearly got tossed I tell ya.

I spent most of last night fixing the damage. Heaps of them were buried so I had to dig most of it up to get them. I didn't want them rotting beneath the others. I ended up with well over 500 of them.

A few of them are a bit different, I don't know what you call the leaf like structures the seedlings get (cotyledons ?) but some of them have three instead of two and one has four, maybe someone could edumacate me here ?.

One is really weird and could be a mutant it is much thinner and seems to have divided and formed two apical meristems, it's a bit early to say for sure but it could be dichotomous.

Edited by SallyD

It seems that someone may be using your thread as a test bed SallyD, you see I am a citizen of the United States with an interest in growing more cacti and I am not certain where exactly to start here. I suppose Carnegias means Carnegia Gigantes which means Giant Saguaro here in the states, I do not live where they grow naturally but I would like to see more grown. From what I gather you have a tray of seedlings that could eventually grow very tall, that is all for now.

I had an interesting day today.

One of my kids has knocked over a box seedlings and created a nice mess for me to clean up.

I had to re-pot a few trays of Lophs which most will be OK, I lost a few little ones that had just emerged which pissed me off a bit.

I had a container of Carnegias that copped a good jolt when it landed and I don't really know what to do with it. They are less than 2 weeks old and don't have much of a root system so I'm tossing up options on how to deal with them. I did a rough guestimate yesterday on how many are in the container and I reckon there is over 400, many of them are buried alive.

Any suggestions?

over 400 WOW