The Corroboree
gerbil

Snu's Cacti Stolen

A couple of weeks ago, one or more people came into Snu Voogelbreinder's garden (in Victoria) during the night and stole various cactus, hacking them down and snapping / splitting them to soil level.

Due to the time of year, cold, wet, slow growth, it is unknown if what is left of the plants will survive.

Some of these plants had been acquired a fair while ago from the old Arizona nursery in NSW and also Gardenworld, and had been growing with Snu for quite some time, in his experience there were some unique individuals in the collection that he hadn't really seen elsewhere, and these are particularly the plants he would like to get back into his collection.

If anyone knows anything about this, please get in touch with Snu via his garden of eden book site or myself and I will pass the information along. It would also be appreciated if anyone could keep an ear/eye out and pass the word around in your collecting circles.

The general species were:

Psycho0 (bridgesii(oid)),

Super Pedro (Cordobensis/Spiny Scop),

T. scopulicola (yellowing a bit, needs a feed),

some other non-descript cuts,

and 3 trich's in the following pictures, which were larger than what the old photos show (these are the main plants of value, but it's the first 2 plants he would mainly like to recover)

plant 1 - (possibly a terscheckii??, it has rot damage on one side)

gallery_239_561_77575.jpg

plant 2

(not sure if this is yowie, or another similar but unique pachanoi)

gallery_239_561_127327.jpg

gallery_239_561_97677.jpg

plant 3

(This one had the most bulk out of the stolen bunch, so the thieves have a fair bit of this compared to the others)

gallery_239_561_46534.jpg

gallery_239_561_33407.jpg

Thanks very much, any direction is appreciated.

Edited by gerbil

Some1 needs a running cunt slap! To steal from a Member who has contributed far more than most. Or any1 fr that matter. How low! Hope u get horrible pussy infections assholes.

• Like 7

Poor Snu, very sad to hear this.

No one should have plants nicked whether it's joe bloggs or some urban shaman.

But for this to happen to someone who has put so much into the community really makes me mad.

Hope the scum responsible get the spiritual ass whooping they deserve and then some.

i hope snu does not take it to heart too much, at least not for too long.

i had my cacti cut down by tennants, which was something for me, as bad, as long term relationship break up (including depression).

fast re planting, with good sized cuttings, is was is needed.

gerbil makes a sad, but good point, the stumps in the ground might not survive and re shoot.

St Peter will be giving them some very heavy trips for this. Such behaviour should not be encouraged, my condolences go out to Snu and hope he can recover what he has lost (or maybe gain something which is better).

• Like 1

SHAME

I'm sure they will get whats coming to them :uzi: & Snu will too :wub:

Let us know if we can send cuts, I have some 2-3' cuts rooted plants of a few of those he is welcome too.

Plant 2 does look a lot like yowie to me, 3 does ook rather unique aswell.

Keep an eye on evilbay, maybe local markets too even drop a word to your local CSS.

Edited by shruman

Sorry for the loss. I would be more then happy to send a few cuts too.

pricks! I hope they get some serious spine infection and their thiefing fingers drop off.

Are the above the only ones that got nicked or others too?

I was with Snu at one of the arizona trips so might have some of them and we also traded some later. But I've got so many different strains I would need a bit more info to work out what's what. even just the arizona ones I bought bootloads full of different strains on about 10 different trips. he'd certainly be welcome to any I have.

• Like 2

What these low - life scum fail to realise is that instead of anonymously thieving under the cover of darkness , most ehno folk would probably give them plants , cuttings , and material ; and perhaps some advice and knowledge as well - if they knocked on the door , said " hello " and introduced themselves , and simply asked for what they wanted . . Creeping around in the dark stealing is def not the way to go , and cannot be rewarding on any level . At a previous home I was plagued by thieving [ turned out to be my employer's son and his mates , who knew when I was at work ] , however , I was ironically amused at the thieves' ignorance, leaving behind amazing plants to steal what are virtually weeds . . I guess plant thieves would be people with no affinity for Nature , and for this reason I would feel sorry for them . Their lives must be very superficial and meaningless .

• Like 2

super pedro isn't exactly rare around here but i'll put my hand up and send a big fat tip if so desired.....

is plant 3 a sausage plant? i can send a tip of that too if you want

• Like 1

What we need is a san pedro look-alike that causes horrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. The world would be improved, one thieving bastard at a time.

• Like 2

What I don't understand is why cut them down to soil level? Why not cut half and leave the rest there... nasty selfish malicious behaviour.

this is terrible news. I had my collection pilfered in a similar manner about 6 years ago, and it still breaks my heart to this day. The feeling of violation isn't easily swept to the side, especially being of the more gentle and generous disposition such as us plant hearts.

Happy to send out a couple of cuts of various plants when it is warm and suited.

big love to brother snu <3 :wacko:

• Like 1

auxin, perhaps we should all plant some nice looking pach's in front of our other cacti and treat them regularly with systemic pesticides :devil: that'll teach the buggers

• Like 1

This type of behaviour really fucks me off. If i´d find out that my son goes around the neighborhood stealing and breaking in, i´d be breaking some things too starting with his fingers and facebones. You know, just watched a report on the news about how much the burglary crime rate went up again and that police can only solve every sixth case. I would watch ebay for the rest of my life and if ´d ever find one of my plants, i´d pull a Charles Bronson Death Wish on the poor guy who has it. Really, i would watch ebay too because thats most likely the place they will turn up one day.

edit: wow e, nice seeing you btw! :)

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

auxin, perhaps we should all plant some nice looking pach's in front of our other cacti and treat them regularly with systemic pesticides :devil: that'll teach the buggers

That would just make them get dizzy, confused, and nauseated. Dumb ass kids would probably enjoy it.

Horrible diarrhea is better because the parents will want to know just what the FUCK happened to the den!

and the car

and the cat

Edited by Auxin

as much as it would suck to have your collection racked, i can't help but note the irony at some of the more sulfurous suggestions for retribution here. "spirit plants" indeed.

• Like 2

That sucks man, hope it wasn't someone from around here.

Thanks for everyones replies,

pricks! I hope they get some serious spine infection and their thiefing fingers drop off.

Are the above the only ones that got nicked or others too?

I was with Snu at one of the arizona trips so might have some of them and we also traded some later. But I've got so many different strains I would need a bit more info to work out what's what. even just the arizona ones I bought bootloads full of different strains on about 10 different trips. he'd certainly be welcome to any I have.

Hi T, as far as i'm aware it's the 3 plants in the photo, plus the Psycho0, Scop and Super Pedro, There were 'other non-descipt' cuts taken of which numbers i'm unsure of, but a bit difficult to document and describe for people to be on the lookout for i guess, the main mentioned ones are the stand outs.

super pedro isn't exactly rare around here but i'll put my hand up and send a big fat tip if so desired.....

is plant 3 a sausage plant? i can send a tip of that too if you want

Nah it's not the sausage plant, to me it's leans towards more a PC hybrid, but all guesses.

most ehno folk would probably give them plants , cuttings , and material ; and perhaps some advice and knowledge as well - if they knocked on the door , said " hello " and introduced themselves , and simply asked for what they wanted

That's part of the frustration of this situation, Snu has thought along very similar lines.

What I don't understand is why cut them down to soil level? Why not cut half and leave the rest there... nasty selfish malicious behaviour.

If they simply step a foot onto private land knowingly without permission their morals are zilch IMO, anything else that follows is simply a disrespectful low life being a disrespectful low life. The mentality is more prevalant in society than i've cared to acknowledge in previous years, but to me now, is far too obvious and prevelant to ignore, particularly in normal everyday folk we have to work and deal with.

Thanks to everyone for the cutting offers, I will pass along the thoughts soon (my email isn't functioning too well and i've got too much going on at the moment) and we might be able to work something out when it's a bit warmer in the coming months.

It would just be nice if the culprits were caught red handed and made accountable for their actions.

as much as it would suck to have your collection racked, i can't help but note the irony at some of the more sulfurous suggestions for retribution here. "spirit plants" indeed.

Fuck that - nothing wrong with some good ol fashion punishment - if for no other reason than they learn not to go taking someone else's things..

• Like 1