The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

banisteria/heteropterys chrysophylla ?

apparently an oz species,i forget where i found the reference.

anyone know anything?

t s t .

I could be completely wrong...but I think this may be the vine growing in Australia that is said to contain beta carbolines and DMT...

I was telling torsten about this....and had the exact name written down somewhere, which I have misplaced somewhere and I think this is it!

This is from Pharmacotheon, by Jonathan Ott and the reference is very briefly mentioned, in, I think the beta carbolines section.

Julian.

thanx julian.

page 211,exact ref says "Australian" not just Australian whatever that may mean!

references are

banisteria chrysophylla[=heteropterys chrysophylla;Gates1982] incorrectly cited as banisteriopsis crysophylla[sic][in Deulofeu 1967] has been reported to contain alkaloids[webb 1949].

t s t .

ummm, I can find no evidence of ANY of these names appearing as australian natives.... or even exotics.

Banisteria is a synonym for Rhyssopterys. Rhyssopterys timorensis is a species from NQLD with a large distribution over NQLD. Is that one you are interested in? This is the only species of that genus within Australia.

Good find darcy!! No idea if this is the one mentioned by ott, but it would be silly not to test it for alkaloids anyway.

Gee, just did a google and not much showed up. Does it go by any other names?

Rhyssopterys discolor and Banisteria timorensis are synonyms of Rhyssopterys timorensis (accepted name).

Evidently there's only 3 genera of the Malpighiaceae in oz.

Here is a taxonomical list of some important genera:

Taxonomy. Subclass Dicotyledonae; Crassinucelli. Dahlgren’s Superorder Rutiflorae; Polygalales. Cronquist’s Subclass Rosidae; Polygalales. APG (1998) Eudicot; core Eudicot; Rosid; Eurosid I; Malpighiales. Species 1100. Genera about 65; Acmanthera, Acridocarpus, Aspicarpa, Aspidopterys, Banisteriopsis, Barnebya, Blepharandra, Brachylophon, Bunchosia, Burdachia, Byrsonima, Callaeum, Calyptostylis, Camarea, Caucanthus, Clonodia, Coleostachys, Cordobia, Diacidia, Dicella, Digoniopterys, Dinemagonum, Dinemandra, Diplopterys, Echinopterys, Ectopopterys, Flabellaria, Gallardoa, Galphimia, Gaudichaudia, Glandonia, Heladena, Henleophytum, Heteropterys, Hiptage, Hiraea, Janusia, Jubelina, Lasiocarpus, Lophanthera, Lophopterys, Malpighia, Mascagnia, Mcvaughia, Mezia, Microsteira, Mionandra, Peixotoa, Peregrina, Philgamia, Pterandra, Ptilochaeta, Rhynchophora, Rhyssopteris, Spachea, Sphedamnocarpus, Stigmaphyllon, Tetrapteris, Thryallis, Triaspis, Tricomaria, Triopteris, Tristellateia, Verrucularia.

You might be interested to read of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca O. Mach, reported in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology (2002) 79(3): 305-311 by SMP Galvão et al. An extract of the root produced an improvement in memory in aged rats. In the states of Mato Grosso and Goiás in Brazil the plant is called Nó-de-cachorro, Nó-de-porco or Cordão de Sao Francisco and is used as an aphrodisiac, tonic and stimulant especially for nervous debility and breakdown. "Heteropterys aphrodisiaca (extract BST0298): a Brazilian plant that improves memory in aged rats"

Rhyssopterys suffers from variable spelling, try without the h or with i in place of the second y.

Another interesting species from the family is the African Acridocarpus natalitius. The root is reported as being used as a decoction which, when sprinkled on the person provides protection for warriors, ensures fidelity and is a love potion and magic charm. This was from Watt/Breyer-Brandwijk "S & E African Medicinal and Poisonous plants".

I can't remember which Indian herbal I got this one from, but it was quite old and crinkly, if that is any help :) The bark, leaf and flower of Hiptage benghalensis (= H. madablota) are used in Indian traditional medicine. They are aromatic, bitter, wound-healing, refrigerant, anti-inflammatory and help asthma. It is also used as an insecticide. It has fragrant flowers.

Thanks to everyone who tolerated me over the years, here and in other virtual places. I am sorry if I caused any hurt feelings (except for friends of Lambo, who have deliberately hurt many people and deserve worse). I may return but not as theobromos. I hope I have provided some entertainment, education and diversion.

Blessed Be, all.

Just found a Heteropteris angustifolia in our collection.

I think it's time to build that index plantarum database