The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sallubrious

Opened by customs

I recently ordered some seeds from overseas.

They were legal seeds and I'd checked the AQIS database to ensure that they were OK to import and they were.

I get the envelope and it's got a nasty looking sticker on it and it is open.

Do they have any obligation to reseal the envelope or do they normally just leave it open?

I don't mind that customs inspected the contents but the idea that anyone else could just help themselves to the contents or poke around inside doesn't seem right.

With the envelope being open it was lucky to get through the postal system with the contents still in there, for all I know someone could have skimmed a few seeds out of each packet.

normally they tape it back up,

hopefully they were pissed that it was legit, and not a score!

you could send them a complaint :lol: fockin bastards.

Recently got some seeds from peru that were opened. Looked like the hells angels had a gang bang party on the envelope. Seeds were rolling out the envelope at the door when the postman handed me the letter so you can imagine i wasnt happy. Inside of the letter looked like a bombed village. Didnt write an official complaint but it was pretty obvious thats their way of showing me they werent happy they didnt get the big tax money they were hoping for.

Edited by Evil Genius

I have not ordered seeds from overseas, but I've gotten other things. They always tape up the box and any bags they cut open. They are meant to reseal. So many of you having problems with this would suggest deliberate inaction, if I was the conspiracy type.

Dont think they do this intentionally to piss people off. Just because they are sometimes too lazy to repack if they destroyed bags are so damaged that cant be taped again. Most stuff that customs open is in good condition when i get it but there´s always exceptions. Dont know why, just pissed me off that i pretty much lost at least 500 seeds to this unsufficient repacking method.

^ i'd be fucking pissed... wankers

I thought about making a complaint, but it would be quite easy for them to pass the buck so it wouldn't achieve much.

It could have even been given the once over by some prick at my local post office or anywhere in between.

When a letter has that sticker on it, I imagine it would be fair game to any shifty prick that wants a peek.

If it was opened and inspected and then cleared. I don't see the need for a fucking great sticker. They could leave a note inside and have a bit of respect for privacy.

lol it beats what happened to me, i ordered seeds from ebay, got them just fine . 1 month later quarantine rings up and want the seeds for various reasons. i said sure, kept about 500, gave em back about 50. suckers

• Like 1

I have had that nasty looking tape, but everytime it has always been sealed well. However the posties "what the f@ck have you had sent to you now?" look I could do without.

However it would not take much to peel the tape back to have a sticky....

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

lol it beats what happened to me, i ordered seeds from ebay, got them just fine . 1 month later quarantine rings up and want the seeds for various reasons. i said sure, kept about 500, gave em back about 50. suckers

That must have come as a surprise.

I've never heard of them asking for seeds to be sent back.

Does that amount to customs admitting incompetence ?

I would have thought that if they've inspected them and cleared them they would be fine.

I wonder what legal rights you'd have in that sort of case.

Its very oftenly the case with Cites protected species, Sally! They sometimes send the plants or seeds to the receiver but preserve the rights to claim them back at any time. They do this to ensure the survival of the plant. What happens to your stuff is an Administrative decision that sometimes takes a few months to be made and they dont want to keep all stuff for that long so they hand them out but reserve the rights to check or take them back.

A friend of mine had something similar happening to him once but when they wanted the seeds back, he had to inform them they were already destroyed because he learnt his lesson and didnt want to keep Cites protected seeds in his possession. Bummer. :)

• Like 2

I've had 2 parcells opened. one was a packet of synthetic smoke-o, and the other a pack of seeds that i found after i ordered them were not allowed due to the grass originaly from turkey, spread out of controll and hence was a threat to wheat crops. the smoke-o that had a notice inside from suplier stated the cannaboids (3 jwh types by chemicle name) on it. this was sealed closed by the label itself. a nasty, scary label too as i recall. no damage was done nor the packet of ïncence opened either. the grass however was replaced with a vary nasty envelope with big red stamps all over it. the kind you dont want to open, but have to too. it said i can contact them and pay for destruction, or if i didnt get in touch they would destroy them at no cost. come to think of it, i did forget to contact them. that envelope was also sealed well and in perfect condition =)

you're lucky, from what I hear it is becoming custom's usual practice not to even send seizure letters at all....the mail just never shows up. I would've thought this would be against the law...

How the hell did they even know you had them??

they drive past your house with a IR seed detection device. late while your asleep =)

• Like 1

atleast they gave you an honest letter, i got some seeds thru and they confiscated/STOLE one pack, without telling me no letter sticker nothing! just a mysterious missing pack of seeds and put the other two packs back in the envelope as if nothing had been opened, and forwarded to me without a drama, either someone in customs or the mail service decided to pocket a packet cacti seeds for themselves...makes one wonder how many ethical good ole straight goodie goodie folk are actually working for customs or the mail department and there intentions for advantage, also to ponder is if them border controlling employees came across a golden package of financial illicit wonders & if they could slip into there pocket unknown without anyone knowing would they do it? :scratchhead:

How the hell did they even know you had them??

they were piper auritum seeds from brazil. and they were almost microscopic.the package was not even open, all i can think of is they didnt even show up on a x ray and got through just fine, but maybe quarantine do an audit in ebay once a month to see who's buying what and weather or not its legal. like i said it was a good month and i planted a few of the seeds so they also wanted the soil when they found that out too. should have brought a plant from sab instead of running the gauntlet but i didnt know the site existed. the guy from quarantine was very displeased i had these seeds and told me how much damage they could cause to the banana industry which i promtly told him there where no banana plantations for another 1000 km's so he then started talking about fines so i backed off and gave up. we all know why they dont want piper in australia but i didnt press the issue.

Edited by quarterflesh

I read on a Canadian site where they sell seeds that they can't send certain things to the US because paypal reports any transactions that involve prohibited imports.

It seems like big brother is watching from several different angles.

Seed borne diseases that transfer from Piper to Musa??? are there any?

Oh well it seems its time to retire the paypal account & time to start looking for a good alternative.

You know, i also think its more likely that paypal has caused this. The fact someone won an auction on ebay isnt actually proof he paid it so i can only wildly guess that paypal really hands out botanic related customer data in Australia. Which would be a pretty harsh mistreatment of your rights, if you ask me. Probably not really rightfully and there was probably not much that they had in their hands before you confirmed that you indeed got the seeds and planted them. I know paypal for their strict Anti-Drug Regulations and i know countless ethnobotanical shops who got their paypal Accounts blocked but thats new and i´m still not sure if thats really what happened. I like paypal because it makes international payment easy but its a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially when reading something like this. You know, they pretty much act like a bank so they should at least somehow have to respect customers privacy. Maybe its really more likely that customs check what they can openly find on ebay.

Quarterflesh, how have you been contacted after you received the letter? I mean they must have gotten your postal Adress somewhere.

Edited by Evil Genius

they had my home phone number as i dont have my mobile on ebay. my mrs had to talk to them 2 times telling them she didnt know what they where talking about. im not sure how they got my email. but they knew my address and collected within 24 hours of receiving this email. AQIS in brisbane sent me 2.

Hi Corey,

As per our discussion today, there is a major issue with Piper Auritum seeds coming into Australia. Moko disease can decimate banana crops which you would appreciate could be catastrophic for the Australian Banana Industry.

The requirements of the Quarantine Act constitute an integral part of the overall security package put in place to guarantee the integrity of Australian biosecurity including its flora, fauna and the economy, any of which may be damaged by the introduction of unwanted pests and diseases. For this reason any non-compliance with the Act is viewed very seriously and this is reflected in the penalties prescribed in the legislation.

On this occasion, once the seeds are returned, we do not propose to take any further action. However, I hope that you bear in mind the potential for disease or pests being introduced into Australia in the future and that you help to support Australia's unique environment.

Edited by quarterflesh

It would seem big brother was working overtime on you quarterflesh

It does indeed appear Pipers are a moko host, as are Capsicum spp, i wonder when they will be driving around chasing up all the chilli seed LOL

I like how they are concerned that Moko disease can decimate banana crops, fair enough, but seem quite happy to allow imports of fresh bananas from the Philippines :scratchhead:

i know right. all bullshit