The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
IndianDreaming

Are these panaeolus cyanescens?

Question

I found these in a wood chip garden bed in Melbourne - The wood chips are old old, grey wood chips. There were a few of the orange P. Sub lookalikes with them. I didn't have a camera with me so I grabbed them to take photos later. My camera is broken so this is a phone shot and it doesn't show the colour properly, they're quite blue and have gotten bluer over the last 3 hours sinece they were picked. Cap is about half 5c piece size.

msg-11189-0-36458900-1340179164_thumb.jp

msg-11189-0-91813400-1340179117_thumb.jp

msg-11189-0-36458900-1340179164_thumb.jpg

msg-11189-0-91813400-1340179117_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Not Panaeolus cyanescans. They usually grow in the warmer months, in NSW & QLD, and on dung (not wood). The pics aren't working for me, but if they are really blue then they may be Mycena interrupta.

Edited by TheExplorer

Here's a better pic - the colour still isn't right. They were white to begin with, white'ish gills, now the gills are greyish and you can see the blue on the stem bottom, the cap is a similar lighter blue - I dunno why the camera won't show it... It looks immature, that cap is only about 7mm. It's not slimey at all, it feels quite cotton like and dryish to the touch.

post-11189-0-11962900-1340194333_thumb.j

post-11189-0-11962900-1340194333_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-11962900-1340194333_thumb.jpg

Edited by IndianDreaming

I can see that pic better, and it reminds me of Mycena subcaerulea or Mycena amicta. I don't know much about Mycena sp., or the difference between the two species I have listed, so unfortunately I can't help you much further. Cool finds though!

EDIT: After doing some reading it appears that these two species are only really separated through macroscopic differences. Inski (from NZ) has found similar looking specimens documented here: http://mushroomobserver.org/21846?search_seq=591059 . There is a lot of ongoing research in regards to the blue staining mycenas. Mycena cyanorrhiza (another blue staining species) is thought to contain psilocin, and there are bioassay reports out there, but there has been little research done with the others listed above. According to a post by Alan R. on another forum, Inski bioassayed some and tripped and got sick (which would make it the only mushroom recorded that is both poisonous and active).

Edited by TheExplorer
  • Like 1

Thanks Explorer! Yes, they do look a lot like Mycena Amicta from the pictures in that link.

Definately not Panaeolus cyanescens and as its growing off wood chips probably not a Pan at all.

But it does look interesting to me. Hard to say whether its a Mycena actually because of the gills in the last photo but the quality of the photos doesnt really give much to work with to be honest.

There are definaetly some blue staining Mycena about in Victoria - I found a yellow one that stained vivid blue green on touching - dramatically so. Mycena interupta and some other varieties actually are blue to start with, whereas your mushroom appears to haev stained blue from handling in a way consistent with active species.

It does look very interesting. Any chance of better pics or getting the gill edge under a scope? colour of spore print, etc.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Yes, they were actually not blue to begin with. Maybe a slight tinge around the cap edge. Damaging them causes the blue. I'll go check the patch again next week and see if there's any more there - these ones have dried up so I flung em out in the yard. I did try leaving the cap on paper but there was no print. If there's any more there, i'll get a proper closeup shot of all it's parts. Thanks for the reply!

^ Did you use white paper? Because Mycena sp. have white white spores and you wouldn't have seen them if that was the case.

• Like 2

Ahh.. yes it was white paper... I'll try foil and maybe glass if i find any more of these. Very interested to see what they turn out to be!

Mycena.

I recently.. know someone who ate a bunch. With 10-20 specimens, he felt no more than with one. However, they were definitely magic.

Also, unfortunately HIGHLY variable (stem and gill colour-and where they bruise blue) and apparently incredibly unpredictable.

That is, in terms of id'ing, and of alkaloid content..possble hybridising, substrate etc.

Not much is known of them.

The warning is to go nowhere near eating them, were u a gnome or be it entirely theoretical ! : (

Mycena Amicta or cyanorrhiza seem like likely candidates.

Edited by mud

Thanks Mud! I've heard the old/bold mycologist saying, I'm not going to eat one. But I thought I'd post them here for ID cos i've never seen them before.