The Corroboree
Thelema

indigenous opioid bark

OK it's been nearly a year since sandalwood posted his last update in relation to this. I have been in contact with him a few times sinces then, urging him to carry out simple experiments such as slashing his arm superficially and applying a saliva-mash of barringtonia to it etc. It seems that he is unwilling at the moment, I know how it gets with strange things [for instance, it took me over 2 years to try galbulimima bark]. From my conversations with him it did not seem that he had tried any application or administration of this medicine at all. It is curious that this plant has generated so much interest, yet so little activity! (as judging by post length) Are people afraid perhaps?

I make an offer to test this substance if someone is willing to send me some bioactive bark. I will begin at low doses using various pain protocols.

OK it's been nearly a year since sandalwood posted his last update in relation to this. I have been in contact with him a few times sinces then, urging him to carry out simple experiments such as slashing his arm superficially and applying a saliva-mash of barringtonia to it etc. It seems that he is unwilling at the moment, I know how it gets with strange things [for instance, it took me over 2 years to try galbulimima bark]. From my conversations with him it did not seem that he had tried any application or administration of this medicine at all. It is curious that this plant has generated so much interest, yet so little activity! (as judging by post length) Are people afraid perhaps?

I make an offer to test this substance if someone is willing to send me some bioactive bark. I will begin at low doses using various pain protocols.

I can send you B. acutangula bark. Please PM me with your address and the amount you require to do your studies.

rahli

Edited by rahli

radio nationals 11.00am country show last week had a bit on indigenous plant patenting and i think this was being talked about as maj-ar-la tree, phonetic spelling by me.

t s t .

I can send you B. acutangula bark. Please PM me with your address and the amount you require to do your studies.

rahli

I w also like to try and galbulmima

Extremely interesting thread, have heard of this before and almost undoubtedly there are other plants still to be discovered/ re-discovered.

I'd love to do some tests to determine if some of the plants in this area, for which I find no mention in literature, have any active compounds.

Where would I find information to point me in the right direction to allow me to test material keeping in mind I am still a novice, also am I going to hit legal hurdles?

Also does anyon know if it would be possible to grow Barringtonia acutangula in a dam in SA? It's way too dry even in rivers here at some times of year and I

wouldn't want to introduce an outside species into that ecosystem. But it would be good to have a specimen and see what it looks like while growing, bit

too far atm to get to Northern WA.

Keep up the good work guys, I'll be interested to obtain a B. acutangula if there are any around to try and grow in the dam, it holds water all year round.

Also I have some very interesting literature that contains thousands of plant names and their contained compounds, unfortunately my chemistry skills

aren't good enough to know active compounds from dangerous for example, with the exception of the well known compounds.

I have just added to Wiki's Barringtonia acutangula entry.

In the 20 or so reseach papers I could find there was no reference to the plant containing opioids.

Does anyone have a reference (apart from the ABC's beat up) to the opioid content of the plant please?

Perhaps someone with more organic chemistry could look at the list of chemiclas I made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barringtonia_acutangula#Medicinal_Uses

Edited by michaelangelica

Fitzroy Valley Aboriginal community patents pain-killing natural medicine

http://www.sciencewa.net.au/3585.html

JARLMADANGAH Burru community holds a joint patent for a traditional Aboriginal pain-killing medicine with Griffith University.

The Fitzroy Valley Aboriginal community is now seeking an investment partner to develop and market a traditional medicine. Image: flickr dinesh_valke

Community Chairman John Watson says his family have always used the bark of the Mudjala tree (Barringtonia acutangula) to relieve pain.

“We get that bark and we chew it and we spit that bark on the wound and about two minutes later that pain is gone,” he says.

John lost his finger to a crocodile about 20 years ago in a remote location several hours drive from the nearest hospital.

“I used the bark and it was bleeding like mad, and it stopped the pain but didn’t stop the bleeding.”

He said he used another traditional treatment to stop the bleeding.

Project manager Paul Marshall says the Mudjala plant was more powerful than morphine.

“It is not an opiate, it is a whole new class of analgesic,” says Mr Marshall.

“It affects both diabetic pain and arthritic pain.”

In a peer-reviewed journal, Griffith University chemists said they isolated nine triterpene saponins and a single triterpene aglycone from the tree’s bark.

Griffith University team leader Professor Ron Quinn says, "We hold a [joint] patent for the active compounds and for use as an analgesic”.

He says there are now two product development pathways.

“One as a traditional treatment—in this one you would want to prepare and analyse it for the active compounds.”

“This guarantees that it will have the appropriate properties”, Prof Quinn says.

Using this pathway, a herbal product may be avilable for market in one to two years once a decision was made and funding sourced.

The other option is to develop a prescription drug.

“We have found the active compounds but we would require more research to demonstrate value for a large pharmaceutical company,” he says.

Professor Quinn says this generally takes an average of 10–12 years and a $1 billion dollar investment.

He said development of a topical ointment for the market would not preclude later development of a prescription drug.

Paul Marshall said funding was needed to develop a sustainable wild-harvest plan of the Mudjala tree in the Fitzroy Valley.

The Fitzroy Valley Aboriginal community is now seeking an investment partner to develop and market a traditional medicine.

Paul Marshall says philanthropic and investment inquiries are very welcome.

Notes:

Jarlmadangah Burru is a community of Mangala and Nyikina speaking people founded by John Watson and his family in the lower Fitzroy Valley near Derby.

The research findings are published Journal of Natural Products.

• Like 1

^

This is freakin awesome!

Its sets a good train and precedent of logic and

image for these powerful herbs.

All the better if they'd keep it's development and accessnatural tho..

isn't the idea that when a helpful, painkilling plants grows about the

place, that you let it grow about the place? Then people can use it when they need it?

The fuck we more morons controlling and distorting the natural intelligence of things.

Edited by mud

Has there still been no bioassay of this plant? So much speculation that could be reasonably well confirmed or debunked with a simple sample.

If anyone has any access to bark of any of the Barringtonia species particularly acutangula, please would you let me know by post here or PM, I would love to try this systemically (i won't be slashing my arm any time soon to test it out...), and put the debate to rest, the evidence is stacking and has been for many years and yet we still have no first hand reports!!! Amazing!

Peace and love

Barringtonia Patent

Novel Analgesic Compounds, Extracts Containing Same and Methods of Preparation

United States Patent Application 20070270375 Kind Code: A1

Various compounds obtained from plants of the Barringtonia species which are derived from Barringtoside A and Barringtoside C as precursor compounds which especially have an arabinopyranosyl substituent at the 21 position which may optionally be further substituted with benzoyl, dibenzoyl, methyl butanoyl, methyl butyryl or tigloyl at the 3 or 4 positions. Alternatively at the 21 position there is provided tigloyl, benzoyl or dibenzoyl substituents.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2007/0270375.html

BTW

A new pain relieving compound has recently been discovered in non-hot(as well as hot)Capsicum(s) spp.

JARLMADANGAH Burru community holds a joint patent for a traditional Aboriginal pain-killing medicine with Griffith University.

Well if we have to have a patent system for medicines at least the traditional owners have maintained IP in this instance.

I hope this becomes more common for indigenous communities and they don't get shafted, it's a great opportunity at many levels to get extra recognition for prior art ( and all that the phrase implies )

Must grab that paper, and then actually read it

Wow, good one Toast, thanks for posting that.

Actually turns out the family who have patented it are related to a family member of mine, who was very pleased to hear about when I passed on the news that I read in this thread.

So yeah great news and a big thumbs up again to mother nature. :worship:

This is great news. Good to see the Aborigines who knew about this plant getting recognition.

Very keen to hear more news of this plant and how effective it is with other bioassays.

This is a very interesting thread. MHRB is used in Mexico as a medication for burns and other skin problems. I believe it is recognized officially and registered in the Mexican pharmacopia inventory. I wonder if it is the DMT that is the active component in such instances?