The Corroboree
Thelema

indigenous opioid bark

Interestingly the genus Barringtonia gets a mention in the "narcotics and painkillers" section of Aust Medicinal Plants, but the species is calyptrata. The use of this one is described as:

"A decoction of the leaves has been drunk by the Aborigines for fever and chest pains"

perhaps it contains something similar to acutangula.

Barringtonia, wow.

After all this time, an answer. This is really unprecedented in chat history! I thank you all, even though I know that many shared my interest!

Ive got a contact up in the Kimberley's, shall I bother? Or are you already on it Torsten? Anyone else? there's a few poeple from NT here it think that could do some field research.

I've got sources for the species from other areas, but not from the Kimberleys. We should have it fairly soon, but obviously the local traditional variety would be preferred.

Good thinking Rev, and Im pretty sure it was in the north west of western australia or west northern territory, Kimberly way. Apparently there's a local ind. population that actually CULTIVATE it.

Does that help you any further?

[/q

I've got sources for the species from other areas, but not from the Kimberleys. We should have it fairly soon, but obviously the local traditional variety would be preferred.

i wish so much for the name of this opiate,is it true,is there such a plant ,this is amazing !

yep, lots of speculation, but I think someone is covering this with a commercial interest.

But the simple fact that this plant exists should encourage people to go out and find it.

please find it torstan

Mmmmm.. The Australian Conspiracy / Urban Myth (not saying its fake mind you, just elusive).

I have run into talk like this before, I think anyone in this interest group has

& maybe you’re all just holding out on me :P

A good mate of mine swears that there is some relatively common

(well I guess that depends on were you live) plant that blows everything else out of the water.

Some sort of indigenous miss-classified cocaine relative or something (god knows what).

Now normally that sort of talk would just make me roll my eyes

& humour the poor sod, but this guy knows his shit, I mean really knows his shit!

(and YES he wont tell me what it is either)

The story/s always seem to have similarities:

The species name will never be told (for various reasons: research

= classified information of commercial value, fear of knowledge leading to it becoming illegal, abuse by biker gangs ect…)

The plant is X many times more powerful than (insert interesting drug name here).

Ever indefinable and always just out of reach!

Grrrr... :ana:

Its enough to drive the curious minded, in desperation, to discover something even better,

just so they can sit on the secret to spite everyone else! (or get some naive Lab Technician blind drunk & talkative)

yep its the desert the cocaine ive been talking about

please finish reading the thread before cluttering up with superfluous posts :rolleyes:

i no this plant.. ive seen it just off exmouth...

where i fish.. im goin back next yr in april..

im defo gunna trak some down... will it grow from seed or cutting??

i'll grabs heaps of bark or leaves ... and try find some seeds..

can anybody sort me out with a preperation method or sumfin??

cheers,

stompy

please finish reading the thread before cluttering up with superfluous posts :rolleyes:

yer sorry dude im trying to work this forum out ,im just so stoked theres all these peopel into what im into

Well its been 2 years how are the plants going T or anyone else?

Has anyone bioassayed this one yet?, PM me if u dont want to discuss here (for any reason)

Hopefully all that glitters is gold.

If one was able to get their hands on this species, would the species be able to grow effeiciently along the river banks of FNNSW or are the conditions too different?

I have a perfect area, where i hae already estblished a few local mangroves along my property.

Thankyou

Happy Cadaver (Darcy) has some on herbalistics so why not find out?

They are freshwater BTW.

Yea the part of the river river i live by is freshwater, but i do believe it gets a little salty at times, but id love anyone the correct me. Its the Tweed River, around Murwillumbah.

Thanks for direction shruman :worship:

Cheers

OK OK I thought for ages that the botanical specimen of this story mustve been gabulimima, but Im starting to think it might be something else.

About 8 years ago, in the northern territory, a guy got bitten by a crocodile, and a native came along and helped him, took some bark from a tree, ground it, mixed it with his saliva, and rubbed it into the wound. The pain relief effects were amazing. Anyway, so the story goes, from a trusted source, (and Im pretty sure the NT newspaper or the West Australian reported on this, too) the tree was later found and analyzed and found to contain a pain-relieving opiate(?) about 5-8 times stronger than morphine.

If this aint gab, what the f*ck is it? Does anyone else remember this incident?

I have heard similar claims made of Buchanania obovata, Family Anacardiaceae (same as mango and cashew).

It is prepared into a mouth wash by soaking the shredded inner bark in water for 4 hours then rinsing (not swollowing) the liquid. Tooth cavities are plugged with leaves and when the pain stops the mouthwash is used. I'm not sure how effective it is but I know the fruit is tasty because it grows everywhere here in the top end. The common name is green plum. In my opinion its better then the famous kakadu plum or locally known billygoat plum terminalia ferdinadiana,.

Edited by rahli

is this Barringtonia acutangula the secret one that was researched by the Uni professor and kept secret by the pharmaceutical company?? Or is this a different one with similar properties?

Well its been 2 years how are the plants going T or anyone else?

Got them growing, but haven't tried yet.

Hi Rahli

I'm not sure how effective it is but I know the fruit is tasty because it grows everywhere here in the top end. The common name is green plum. In my opinion its better then the famous kakadu plum or locally known billygoat plum terminalia ferdinadiana,.

better tasting? (which I assume) or better medicine?

And has anybody tried to ferment any of these fruits to make a fruit wine?

Hi Rahli

better tasting? (which I assume) or better medicine?

And has anybody tried to ferment any of these fruits to make a fruit wine?

Better tasting in my opinion. It is probably not better for you as the billygoat plum has a very high vitimine c content. I guess that is why it tastes better as green plums are sweet and billygoat plums (high vit c) are sour.

I have heard of some companies buying billygoat plum (T ferdinadiana) to add to (jungle juice) energy drinks and dietry suppliments.

I don't know what the active constiuent is in green plum leaves and bark but I have heard that it is stronger then morphine. Couldn't say how accurate this claim is just that the original post to this thread sounded very much of the stories I've heard up here (top end) regarding green plum (B obovata).

I'm not sure about making wine from them as you would need plenty. Both of the fruits are only small, not very juicey and have a large seed. You could just throw some in another brew to add flavour i guess.

BUMP..

Pretty interesting read..with a hint of lets throw the hippies off our scent and tell them to look over there while we do our shit in secrecy ..mmmmm...being paranoid I guess..so whats the latest on this ..any bioassays been completed..sounds like a great little addition to the shamans garden..can always use a non addictive painkiller around the gaff.

H.

wow, this is fascinating news.....

sounds like alot of work has been done already...but is not being shared,

obviously there has been some structural study.

looking into isoquinoline chemistry, mainly influenced by Shulgins recent collaborative book on the subject, I found that there are other plants with morphine precursors out there...

sassafras is one, with amounts of reticuline in it...

also, salutaridine is another morphine precursor that occurs in various croton species...some used as medicinals...one in particular I think has studies that suggest conversion to morphine in the body perhaps...

other research along the same lines raises the possibility that these isoquinolines are manufactured in the human body in nearly the same fashion as the poppy plant.

salutaridine occurs in croton, glaucium, papaver, sarcocapnos species...

(-)-salutaridine occurs in corydalis, croton, stephania, peumus boldus and other species...

while this is more exciting on paper maybe than biologically, it gave me hope that out there in the world that there are probably plants that further the connection...but instead of precursors to morphine, we might find morphine itself or even better, more potent analogs of the compound out in nature.

this is my first post here at this forum,

and a very interesting thread.

I hope you Aussies can poke into this mystery deeper!

without a doubt, thats it! At long last! now we need someone from that university to find out for us. YAY!

there was another botanist over here that specialized in indigenous medicine for the CSIRO that reported the native farm of this tree in the kimberlies. Maybe if there's someone from up that way?

wow, this is fascinating news.....

sounds like alot of work has been done already...but is not being shared,

obviously there has been some structural study.

looking into isoquinoline chemistry, mainly influenced by Shulgins recent collaborative book on the subject, I found that there are other plants with morphine precursors out there...

sassafras is one, with amounts of reticuline in it...

also, salutaridine is another morphine precursor that occurs in various croton species...some used as medicinals...one in particular I think has studies that suggest conversion to morphine in the body perhaps...

other research along the same lines raises the possibility that these isoquinolines are manufactured in the human body in nearly the same fashion as the poppy plant.

salutaridine occurs in croton, glaucium, papaver, sarcocapnos species...

(-)-salutaridine occurs in corydalis, croton, stephania, peumus boldus and other species...

while this is more exciting on paper maybe than biologically, it gave me hope that out there in the world that there are probably plants that further the connection...but instead of precursors to morphine, we might find morphine itself or even better, more potent analogs of the compound out in nature.

this is my first post here at this forum,

and a very interesting thread.

I hope you Aussies can poke into this mystery deeper!

Good research, and welcome!

WO/2005/051969) NOVEL ANALGESIC COMPOUNDS, EXTRACTS CONTAINING SAME AND METHODS OF PREPARATION

this report is on the analgesic activity of this plant belonging to the Barringtonia species.

its the only page I can find any relevant info on the pharmacologic aspects of this plant.

from what I skimmed quickly.

bark is the prime material, flowers as well are potent....leaf material was reported to be almost inactive?

damn. I want this plant.

this is huge.

this could be the next kratom type of discovery.

this plants parts have been used as fish poisons, analgesics...for suicide.

very interesting.

this report above is a patent claim.

did someone say that they have this plant growing?

what are the wildcrafting possibilitys with this plant?

rare?

anyone else have specific pharmacological studys any structural info...any naloxone/binding assays?

any personal research with this?

the first person that gets to import this plant through US customs with a import/export license might be able to place an industry hold on the plants sale through shipping into the USA. if the plant was commercially avialable...a person might make a nice bit of coin, and help alot of people out with their research here in the USA.

this thread reeks of potential.