The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

The dumbing down and degradation of art

Racket you have jsut demonstrated to me that beauty, merit and taste is purely in the eyes of the beholder. Where you see interesting and innovative I see very much regurgitation. Just sounds like shitty old skater trash to me but he that's just me.

You sound very old, zen. ;)

tbh i only listen to music made from re-remixing the mating calls of endangered antarctic underwater invisibility fish, anything else is abd.

• Like 2

Racket you have jsut demonstrated to me that beauty, merit and taste is purely in the eyes of the beholder. Where you see interesting and innovative I see very much regurgitation. Just sounds like shitty old skater trash to me but he that's just me.

Listen to a whole record, or go see a show, of either band and say it again, I dare ya! (should've mentioned that that 'shitty old skater trash' track is over 20 years old now, so you're not far off on the timeline, you just got the direction of influence the wrong way around). When it comes to style I agree with ya, but if we're talking about how proficient a musician (painter, writer, whatever) is in terms their technical skill there are definitely more objective standards than 'the eye of the beholder'.

re:

The dumbing down and degradation of art

the reason is in the past the powers that be are scarred of people like

Elvis

Bob Marley

John Lennon

Michael Jackson

Whitney Houston

and countless others

now you get controlled people like

lady gaga

justin bieber

true talent wont get attention from lame stream media or studio's

Edited by pete34
  • Like 1

Yeah problem is that the music Industry favors people who are easy to control. But we still have some pretty cool and original artists today. Personally, i think Gaga is one of the most promising artists that are around atm. I dont like her style of music but at least she´s got one. Same with people like Amy Whinehouse. I personally liked her very much because she was extremely talented before she was fixed on. Then theres people like Eminem who i think is an extraordinary Rap Artist. I mean, many people who are into Rap will only appreciate his technique and song writing qualities when he´s not alive anymore. I also thought it was extremely rare to find an Artist with such a strong CD like the last Record Adele made recently. Its still way too early to tell if she´s able to stick around for many years but i truly liked how amazing that Album was. Then there´s people like Slash, the foo fighters, Linkin Park, the strokes, coldplay, the libertines, and and and. Not talking about all the great Indie stuff that i´ve heard in the past 10 years from people who will most likely not be able to survive with their music because they lack the logistics. I guess what i wanna say that its true that we have less original Artists than we had 30-50 years ago but there´s still some pretty timeless music being made today. Its just that it needs time to ripe. Problem is that the more money is on the line, the less Record labels dare to give people chances. And thats the reason why so many great Indie Artists never get a chance. I know people who are extremely talented musicians but they never ever got a chance to play their music. Thats the sad part about it. We actually have real original talents but most of them wouldnt be casted from shows like "Popstars" because they dont fit in. What we need are more ballsy labels.

One thing that bothers me about the way the people value art is that it often seems to be based on its longevity. I don't think something has to be timeless or recognisable to be beautiful, meaningful or worthwhile.

I'll use the Lady Gaga example that people have mentioned... Yes gaga will probably be remembered for a long time, she's done an incredible job marketing herself and creating an image that people will not soon forget, but I don't feel this makes her any more valuable/important/successful as an artist than some obscure guy who makes music on his laptop that I've come across on SoundCloud. I see gaga as someone who is successful as a businesswoman, entrepreneur and fashion icon, and I see a lot of today's popular art as being similar, in the sense that it is commercially brilliant, not artistically.

However different forms of art serve different functions for different people, and nobody can ever argue that something is not art and win, because everything and anything can be art. Which I find sometimes makes the concept of art quite confusing.

People so often forget that what is popular isn't necessarily what is best (often quite the opposite). I follow a lot of "unknown" musicians and photographers, and I ache for all the incredible artists out there that don't get the recognition and support they deserve, but at the same time, maybe that lack of fame keeps them humble and keeps their work beautiful. It's a crazy world.

art/ärt/

Noun:

• The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
  • Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Edited by fairy
  • Like 1

art/ärt/

Noun:

• Works produced by such skill and imagination.

So i take it that most music nowdays is not art whatsoever. Having worked as a promoter in the music industry i have found and seen many amazing and talented performers. The trouble is that the bands who are making fresh new music and blazing new genres are ignored. while the ones who try and tailor their music and image to what the people want are picked up and made famous. They are then forced to completely change their music and often end up singing a completely different genre to what they started as, susbequently losing all their original TRUE fans. all beacause their contract with the record label says "you must do whatever we say or you lose a large amount of your income." its funny how many bands say "its all about the music not the money" right up until they get offered a chance at the big leagues.

a great example of this is "Short Stack". i went to school with some of the people in this band and they were coming up with some funky music. Yet once they got picked up and given a total makeover / new direction they instantly because the same as every other shithouse boyband wannabe rockers.

it was only on simpsons a few days ago where they were making a tv show about the family

TV GUY: we need to come up with something original to save this show

*all flick their tvs on and channel surf for ideas*

Yeah, agreed. I get fucking sad sometimes when I hear a beautiful voice or a potentially beautiful melody, singing total pop shit. It's such a waste.

• Like 1

You sound very old, zen. ;)

Now you listen here you young little whipper-snipper. In actual fact ive always disliked lots of things so if that makes me sound old, then sure, I was old at 14. Actually Ive often thought I have an overly sensitive response to what I see as injustice. If I know an artist of some kind is revolutionary, talented or what ever, then it fucks me off when they dont get their due because kids would rather be told what they like.

its like when you go see a band now days and everyone's too busy filming it for face book to even realise this is a one off and one day they'll be dead and holy shit they forgot to live. LOL

In mnay ways i have more respect for an alcoholic or an addict than some deadshit who irons seems in his jeans.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie
  • Like 1

its like when you go see a band now days and everyone's too busy filming it for face book to even realise this is a one off and one day they'll be dead and holy shit they forgot to live. LOL

In mnay ways i have more respect for an alcoholic or an addict than some deadshit who irons seems in his jeans.

Firstly lets not forget that music videos ect can be a an art in there own right. Also whats wrong with ironed jeans. I dont iron, but if i did im sure id iron my jeans.

Theres more people on the planet. I'm not sure about dumbing down or degradation - the 60's had plenty of that - but its a business and naturally small companies become large companies and profit often comes first. But you don't even need to have a record company or art gallery these days with the internet and some of my favourite art has been from completely random sources on youtube or some guy busking on the street.

I am constantly inspired. Life is a canvas and art fills it in.

• Like 1

fuck yeah i saw the shorts for that when we went to see snow white which was quite shamanic you know but we had our misgivings after half an hour of really bad advertising showing some even badder movies young katie perry got shown 3 times know idea who she is but she must be kinda cool to dress like that kind of different we should celebrate her strangeness luckily snow white was good maybe that means katie perry will be good too gotta see that show you know its so funky how she dresses must be a star