The Corroboree
Evil Genius

The Great Global Warming/Cooling Thread Part 2

not looking to have a discussion on the matter (i love you all and don't want to argue pointless points)

just officially stating that i stopped believing the IPCC version last year (i stopped believing many official stories last yer). we'll see soon enough eh? my main fear, as far as popular opinion and validation of theories etc going into the future is that erratic weather be automatically viewed as further vindication of AGW. i used to automatically connect the two and its no wonder that people tend to when coming from a particular viewpoint.

that's all.

I find it highly disturbing that this debate still needs validation.

If 98% of scientists said the bridge you were about to cross was going to fail, would you still cross it?

A bad analogy, but you get my point.

• Like 3

I dunno why people are still debating it. It's long since past time we actually discussed how to ameliorate or reverse the changes, it's like being on a bus heading towards the cliff. The driver and a few nutty passengers want the bus to go faster and faster because ever-increasing speed gives them a hardon, the saner ones are screaming for the driver to hit the brakes and make a course correction, and the rest are shaking their heads wishing all the fuss and palaver would just stop so they can just enjoy the ride in peace.

I guess I'm one of the saner ones, though I wouldn't mind having a more peaceful life at times.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the human disposition naturally causes people to stick with what they know, this creates a problem in the scientific community.

The biggest problem with the debate is that people who deny the issue either quote old or biased peer reviewed literature or simply don't understand the concept of climate compared to weather (I am very tired of explaining that concept).

I don't satisfy climate deniers the argument because there is a sense that they disagree with it because they are afraid of looking like sheep or they live their lives believing everything is a conspiracy.

Nope, new stuff. Stop echoing that the science is settled for a minute and look again.

I am sure if you looked deep down into those recent peer reviewed literature papers you will find that there are either vested interests and/or the science is flawed.

Why would anyone want to be those 2-3% that deny it.

Regardless of this, because I am tired of proving something that a small majority of people refuse to believe, we should just be moving away from fossils and investing in renewable.

Fuck!

I didn't realise I was in embarrassing discord with a majority. Nobody has ever done that before and been right in the end.

Seriously must avoid biting and being drawn into this so shutting my mouth from now on, like I said I would originally.

• Like 1

I didn't know you were skeptical of AGW Thunder?

I think it's a shame that we often can't discuss the issues though without people having a go at eachother or feeling attacked. I can understand why the mainstream scientists have decided to stop engaging with certain kinds of what can be called denial - because often to acknowledge somebody like Monckton or Morano by arguing with them is exactly what they want - it lends them an undeserved air of legitimacy. But when the issues to be discussed are simply those of thinking people who are open to being right or wrong then I think discussions can be quite fruitful.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if anything the IPCC are a little too conservative in their estimates of how fucked we are - but that's mostly a product of how thorough they have to be and how many stakeholders are breathing down their necks crying alarmism.

I also generally think that the whole minority/majority/consensus thing can be a bit of a misleading idea. People tend to interpret it as science being about "when more scientists believe this, that means it's true", which is not at all the case. At the end of the day though you have to examine the arguments and the potential motives, and I think really that as average Joe's what we think about climate change doesn't really matter. Unless we're willing to spend years and even decades of our lives studying oceanography and atmospheric physics and cloud feedback and what have you, we're never going to have the personal expertise to truly say with any high degree of certainty that AGW is or isn't happening. And I feel as a non-expert that after examining all cases put to me and examining the motives, credentials and agendas of the people presenting them that I'm strongly in favour of listening to the preponderance of evidence and expert advice on this issue. However I'm also always still open to being proven wrong.

And I also think the stakes of assuming that AGW isn't happening or isn't that bad are astronomical...I mean, assuming the whole thing is a hoax or turns out to be nothing to worry about, what's the worst that could happen from us taking action? We go renewable, the air gets cleaner, the oceans gets cleaner and healthier again, we create a bunch of economic stimulation and new jobs through the transition to renewables and obtain energy security. But then considering the risks if we conversely did nothing or significantly delayed doing anything and it *did* turn out to be a problem. I feel it's almost a moot point.

• Like 2

I think my grouch with denial is that there's always "new evidence in!" that for some reason, despite it's paucity, always manages to re-write or completely negate the many years of painstaking research already done. Science is constantly evolving indeed and no-one is claiming that we know everything about the climate, but seriously, I have heard this "new evidence in" claim almost daily since I started getting interested, many years ago. People waste hours and hours of their time refuting each and every claim. People are utterly determined to refute the science, it's become a beacon for conspiracy theoorists. I find it bizarre how wound up people can get over stuff that is really straightforward, and so upset about actually doing anything about it.

Every single time. It becomes a shitfight with people screaming "you're wrong!" instead of just knuckling down and dealing with it. It's fucking disappointing, to say the least.

I think we are surrounded by idiotic claims. Religion pervades our society and most of it is utter tripe. There is no evidence, we are supposed to have "faith". Then we are supposed to obey the rules of several thousand year old books which are contradictory at best, downright unpleasant at worst. And this whole thinking pervades our society. Even when we reject that utter stupidity, we become very wary and unforgiving of authority because most of our planet has been since time immemorial run by authority figures who are harsh and aggressive and who usually follow these primitive ideas. It's a shame people don't have more respect for science, but it's understandable given how much these same authority figures use the media to make us distrust it, so they can continue to fool us and retain their power.

Heretic!!!!!!! (jokes) :wink:

got sent some pseudo scientific religious propaganda from the witnessess on the evils of blood transfusions as an example of some good ole fashion madness, i thought it was funny till i realized people in that circumstance would rather die than have a transfusion over a belief...

Anyways like what gtarman said about if its bunk and we do something? sounds like we would end up with a better world all round. There does seem to be indications though, how business respond to wide spread criticisms, burying/skewing of useful data usually known before the fact, deregulation of the market especially fossil fuels/Energy, mining etc, Use of state sanctioned security by private industry to investigate and potentially disrupt social dissent ie anti nuclear prostest, animal rights etc and of course the foreign interventions mostly to secure access to future energy supplies. None of which is new but highlights more so than plain greed is the fear of change, loss of power, status, control etc. You can see it with our coalition government how the ideology is at odds with the growing concerns of the public and the evidence, the mad scramble to re-establish their beliefs and suppress information in the public domain.

Personally tend to feel the transition and eventual change to renewable's and all that entails for society and civilization is an inevitable process. It is obvious from history how human endeavors have changed the landscapes and impacted flora and fauna usually in detrimental ways we do not fully understand, but also unforeseen natural changes have severely marked the globe - that is generally life on earth. The current rate of consumption and expansion though is first in human history all this in a sense is new a global experiments of sorts which for the most part seems to have failed.

Mainstream media has kinda gone orwellian hahah, just the basic lack of coverage on various issues and failure of journalistic integrity - proper research and asking the questions people want answered leaves much to be desired.

saw that NSW was being battered with a storm in the news and thought it might be interesting to see how you Aussies are hanging in there.......no posts of grief stricken people, because their favorite plants snapped or destroyed yet. Any good surf? hearing of 13 mtr seas..... some of that swell has to be getting higher up the coast. haha ,.. will look at what the charts say jut for the hell of it.

anyway,.... been following Climate Change for more then 15 years now........and now seeing that the global temp averages are well above the norm for the last few months is heavy stuff to process, especially when you know that it is well above the average temperature projections is pretty disturbing. With this knowledge, now thinking about how fast the Arctic and Antarctic were already changing it is hard to begin to imagine what the next 5, 10 or further along the road will mean for us.

I live in the Southern Caribbean on an island close to the coast of Venezuela,... the last time that we have been hit by a catagory 2 hurricane (tropical cyclone for you 'down undahh' folks ;-) ) was in 1877. We are generally considered to be south of the hurricane belt, we've had close calls, grazes, and tropical storms,...... but nothing really serious,..... In Nov 2010 we got some flooding... you Aussies would laugh if I told you about the extent of the flooding, because what you get in Australia is so much more worse,.... and that was because of some rain approx. 200 mm in one night.....which is allot of course especially if you do not usually get not even half of that in a 24hr period. So seeing what has happened weather wise in the Carib and Atlantic in the last 10 years compared to what has happened in the last century, I am really wondering / worried even what the next 10 will bring.

Now we have what looks like a strong El Nino forming, which usually means hot and dry years for us in the Carib / Northern Atlantic, but doesn't mean that they will not form or not track as south.

Ohhh well,... will see what the future holds,... or perhaps I should take up a new hobby as a prepper! :P Freaking cover all my bases.

• Like 2

It's very upsetting to me that anyone here is denying climate change considering the nepalese earthquakes, the phillipines typhoon and the increasing levels of natural disaster in our own country (and all the other natural disasters in the world rn)

and even if you don't believe in *climate change*, pollution/loss of habitat/environmental collapse is caused by the same things that are claimed to cause climate change (the animal and animal agriculture industry, fossil fuels, etc).

so there is really no excuse not to consume ethically and challenge our political structures.

btw, to anyone in this thread who believes in climate change:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

Fao.org. Spotlight: Livestock impacts on the environment.

http://www.fao.org/ag/magazine/0612sp1.htm

Transportation exhaust is responsible for 13% of all greenhouse gas emissions. [.i]

Greenhouse gas emissions from this sector primarily involve fossil fuels burned for road, rail, air, and marine transportation.

Fao.org. Spotlight: Livestock impacts on the environment.

http://www.fao.org/ag/magazine/0612sp1.htm

Environmental Protection Agency. “Global Emissions.”

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/global.html

Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Goodland, R Anhang, J. “Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change were pigs, chickens and cows?”

WorldWatch, November/December 2009. Worldwatch Institute, Washington, DC, USA. Pp. 10–19.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6294

Methane is 25-100 times more destructive than CO2.

“Improved Attribution of Climate Forcing to Emissions.” Science Magazine.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/326/5953/716.figures-only

Methane has a global warming power 86 times that of CO2.

IPCC. "Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis." Working Group I.

Please note the following PDF is very large and may take a while to load:

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/report/WG1AR5_ALL_FINAL.pdf

Livestock is responsible for 65% of all emissions of nitrous oxide – a greenhouse gas 296x more destructive than carbon dioxide and which stays in the atmosphere for 150 years.

“Livestock’s Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options.” Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 2006.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.htm

and most importantly, imo

A person who follows a vegan diet PRODUCES the equivalent of 50% less carbon dioxide, uses 1/11th oil, 1/13th water, and 1/18th land compared to a meat-lover for their food. [xx]

CO2: "The Carbon Footprint of 5 Diets Compared." Shrink The Footprint.

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/food-carbon-footprint-diet

“Dietary greenhouse gas emissions of meat-eaters, fish-eaters, vegetarians and vegans in the UK.” Climactic change, 2014.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-014-1169-1/fulltext.html

Oil, water: “Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment.”
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2003.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/660S.full

One Green Planet, "Meat The Truth".

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/facts-on-animal-farming-and-the-environment/

Robbins, John. "Food Revolution". Conari Press, 2001

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/environment.html

Land [xvii]: “Our food our future.” Earthsave.

http://www.earthsave.org/pdf/ofof2006.pdf

It is absurd that people talk about climate change so much yet totally avoid the meat topic. It's like an elephant in the room.

If you love plants, eat plants.

If you love animals, don't buy their products commercially.

If you love life, change your consumption patterns and try to change your situation before this planet is uninhabitable

**rant over**

climate change doesn't influence seismic events, there's even a lack of evidence to suggest it influences things like typhoons and tornadoes,

however one of the proposed solutions to coal burning, gas, is perhaps the most insidious evil environmental destruction i can think of,

if anyone tells you it's safe call them a liar and spit in their face

New technique shows shale-drilling additives in drinking-water taps near leak

Substances commonly used for drilling or extracting Marcellus shale gas foamed from the drinking water taps of three Pennsylvania homes near a reported well-pad leak, according to new analysis from a team of scientists.

The researchers used a new analytical technique on samples from the homes and found a chemical compound, 2-BE, and an unidentified complex mixture of organic contaminants, both commonly seen in flowback water from Marcellus shale activity. The scientists published their findings this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"These findings are important because we show that chemicals traveled from shale gas wells more than two kilometers in the subsurface to drinking water wells," said co-author Susan Brantley, distinguished professor of geosciences and director of the Earth and Environmental Institute at Penn State. "The chemical that we identified either came from fracking fluids or from drilling additives and it moved with natural gas through natural fractures in the rock. In addition, for the first time, all of the data are released so that anyone can study the problem."

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-technique-shale-drilling-additives-drinking-water-leak.html

and this is why the "free market" and private property rights will never be a solution to environmental destruction, shit like gas wells has massive flow on effects which can hurt farmers, land holders and anyone and what reparation do they get for getting poisoned? fucking pizza vouchers

• Like 1

2015-on-track-to-be-hottest-year-yet

http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/2015-on-track-to-be-hottest-year-yet-150722.htm

well that's bad news. lower than average rainfall all across the south australia plus above average night temps, perhaps this summer's going to be a stinker.

good thing we're heading to a mini ice age then isn't it!!

Self-moderation: Gratuitous of me. Apologies.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Apologies for not reading through the thread, but it's mighty long! And I'm really glad to see some critical thought and discussion, so thought I would share what information I could.

I largely rely on a set of work in tandem with my own gnosis when it comes to using discernment around matters like these, so I will offer a source or reference point before sharing my thoughts as most of the following information comes directly from this article:

http://www.pfcn.net/Bulletins/Meme%20Control%20and%20Interference%20-%20Aug%202008.pdf

This article in particular came from an examination upon the influence of social memes and was stimulated by various concerns such as the failure of spiritual-progressives to become a movement that changes the world and supports humanity’s higher evolution as spiritual beings, and the question of the “control matrix”, the “controllers”, and global power elite.

It is most important to remember there has been nearly continuous influences and interferences in human development over many millennia. One goal is to identify common patterns of thought and memes and to understand the deeper agendas. Once that is made recognizable, it becomes easier to develop ones own “truth meter”.

Two examples are emerging now that promote the falsehood of global threats to human/earth life intended to justify one-world control and mask the nature of the controller elite. One is the global warming banner that brings together NWO/UN interests, global warming propagandists, climate change fears, and integral culture/new age tendencies. The outcome would be to place a new public mask over the TPTB and the dark forces. The other is introducing alien/ET contact and in so doing both elevates this as a threat as well as to open the door to some of the darker elements of the ET’s races who have been in league with TPTB of humanity. Combined, this raises a new set of threats designed to get people to accept ongoing control by the TPTB.

In terms of scale, the top echelon and their immediate close circles number in the hundreds. They in turn rely on a second tier of loyal intermediaries who in turn work through various key individuals highly placed in society. This then flows to a third tier of leading executives who oversee the significant policies in government, business, religions, militaries, financial centers, media, science, medicine, education, consultancies, philanthropic organizations, NGO’s, and all other significant institutions that direct human life on Earth. Most of this third tier number in the tens of thousands and are often publicly identifiable. They in turn rely upon a fourth tier of individuals numbering in the hundreds of thousands to carry out and manage all their various initiatives in all sectors of society. A fifth tier would include a broad group of influencers who are not especially powerful as individuals but who are an important part of the social control process and help maintain the conveyance of financial and other energies through much of society and social castes. If asked, most would likely not admit to this role and would prefer to believe they act out of the strength of their “own beliefs”. However, many of these influencers benefit materially through salaries, grants, consulting and speaking fees, etc. In other words, they are manipulated themselves by the very social memes that enthralled them. They in turn spread the roots of the dark influence deeply into society where so much of society is involved in maintaining themselves in a virtual prison.

It is no coincidence that the study of cybernetics and what came to be called meme- engineering have a close relationship with one another and were funded by various military and spy organizations. Before the word “meme” was coined, military and spy agencies were funding what could be considered “next generation” psychological and paranormal operations (psy-ops/psi-ops/spy-ops). This included what we would call today “meme engineering”, a branch of social control. Such work has many applications and it is the primary funders who establish their pre-eminent position and dominance over the agendas. This is significant in reading background material about this process and then applying this to social-cultural concerns such as the new thought/new age/consciousness “movement”. One of the advantages of gaining the cooperation of those who are self-centered is that it often takes very little money and effort to “nudge and guide” their careers.

Decades ago, assessments and plans were made on behalf of the-powers-that-were for the times we are now in. It was expected that the matrix world order would be unable to keep billions of people mindlessly pursuing consumerism and the illusions of social caste climbing. It was also expected that some major changes to the planetary/space environment would be occurring.

It would therefore be necessary to present the human inmates on Earth with ever growing threats against which they would oblige and continue to be both inmates and jailors and so continue under the domination of the powers that be. Over a few hundred years, nations could rely on occasional false flag events and civil and border wars to manipulate their respective publics, this has limited value. Endless world wars became too disruptive and useful only as temporary solutions to a rapidly changing humanity even under the control of the global elite. Various other threats were considered: disease pandemics, population explosion, climate change, pollution, and more. It was decades ago that global climate change and environment collapse was eventually selected as the first choice to provide a near universal threat under which most people would willingly accept reductions in consumerism, social climbing, democracy, etc. while accepting the ongoing control system of the-powers-that-be.

So now we have a combination of permanent war against fictitious enemies, the concocted “grand unifier” of global warming (or climate change to some), and the soon to come disease issues (with even more in the offing) to keep people in a perverse state of denial, confusion, conflict, upset, fear, and “hope”.

Falsehoods have permeated nearly everything, including these so-called “change-agents” and the meme-control process has been honed to cater to the idiosyncracies of those among the global populace who are most likely to question the nature of the social order and the control matrix. To reiterate, rather than TPTB oppose what is most likely challenge to its global rule, it preferred co-optation, influence, and meme-engineering.

Here are examples of falsehoods that are used to mask the true nature of the reality. This list is not intended to be comprehensive.

Global warming, climate change, Planet-X, terrorism, Islamicism, etc. are “common threats” that require a “common front” of all humans.

--- This is an example of fear-based memes to facilitate compliance with the dominant paradigm of the powers-that-be and negates higher self and original Source. At the basis of these is the assumption that humanity itself is the “enemy” and must be changed and controlled by those who “know best” (meaning TPTB). This is closely linked to core new age teachings that assert that there is no dark force, that it is of human origin, and so the “hidden hand” continues in its concealment.

Dark and Light are a natural dynamic of opposites that is necessary for existence.

--- From the perspective of true Oneness and original Creation, there is no need for “separateness” or duality and at that level of consciousness this energetic barely exists as an abstraction. The very concept that opposites are needed for there to be a stimulus to creation is a distorted construct that only exists within the portion of Creation that has been dominated by the dark forces --to teach otherwise would be antithetical to the existence of the dark. So yes, such conflict would seem “natural” from the perspective of Darkness and that which it dominates. “Duality” is a relative term used to describe a situation in which expanded human awareness becomes aware of the existence of something else – that which is referred to as the dark force – something antithetical to true Source and Creation. The teachings in the human realm that are about “embracing the dark”, combining “the dark and the light”, etc., are all distortions that are encouraged by the dark forces so at to keep them functional.

Spirituality (and God) is something apart from the individual, it is higher and above you.

--- This is another way that spirituality is kept separate from social leadership and social governance. This is comparable to the “as above” principle of the formation of a separateness from Creation by the Dark. True spirituality concerning higher dimensions of existence and consciousness connects directly to original Source where the dark forces simply not exist.

People of good hearts and minds (but lacking in discernment) were taken in and involved in legitimizing much of the new age/new thought tendencies and in turn entangled others. It is hoped this material will be of use to those who are trying to see beyond the “prison-park”. It would be good to adopt a Diogenes-like attitude in searching for truth. Always ask for the deeper or higher truth to be revealed and assume that so far, most of human civilization and society is based upon falsehoods layered upon falsehoods masquerading as truth. From our perspective, this will soon enough be rectified.

“True Oneness with Original Creation is a high level resonance and attractor through which genuine healing and spiritual evolution can take place. It is also the avenue for a true global awakening. That is why we are here after all, to know the difference, help undo the dark force influences, and not to become energy fodder for the dark forces.”

Catastrophic wars involving powerful technologies occurred several thousand years ago. There was also a period in which the dominant elite “on the ground” generally followed the guidance of their dark overlords and false gods. Help has arrived and the dark lords no longer have the same level of influence and control over their human hosts and allies as they did before. The situation is changing also while a major galactic cycle shifts.

--- “After 12,000 years, when the sun goes to the place in its orbit which is farthest from Brahma, the grand center . . . [then] dharma, the mental virtue, comes to such a reduced state that man cannot grasp anything beyond the gross material creation.”

“When the sun in its revolution around its dual comes to the place nearest to this grand center, the seat of Brahma (an event which takes place when the Autumnal Equinox comes to the first point of Aries), dharma, the mental virtue, becomes so much developed that man can easily comprehend all, even the mysteries of the spirit.” – Sri Yukteswar, The Holy Science (1894) ---

And so we are here. A major bifurcation occurring along the lines of spiritual consciousness and the very energetic structures of reality.

http://www.pfcn.net/Bulletins/Meme%20Control%20and%20Interference%20-%20Aug%202008.pdf

Magnetic substorms, the disruptions in geomagnetic activity that cause brightening of aurora, may sometimes be driven by a different process than generally thought, a new study in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics shows.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140902114721.htm

Scientists at the University of Liverpool have discovered that variations in the long-term reversal rate of Earth's magnetic field may be caused by changes in heat flow from Earth's core into the base of the overlying mantle.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120731094753.htm

On a time scale of tens to hundreds of millions of years, the geomagnetic field may be influenced by currents in the mantle. The frequent polarity reversals of Earth's magnetic field can also be connected with processes in the mantle. These are the research results presented by a group of geoscientists in the new advance edition of Nature Geoscience on July 29th.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120729142156.htm

Scientists understand that Earth's magnetic field has flipped its polarity many times over the millennia. The answer, from the geologic and fossil records we have from hundreds of past magnetic

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111130171105.htm

Earth's magnetic field has reversed many times at an irregular rate throughout its history. Long periods without reversal have been interspersed with eras of frequent reversals. What is the reason for these reversals and their irregularity? Researchers have shed new light on the issue by demonstrating that, over the last 300 million years, reversal frequency has depended on the distribution of tectonic plates on the surface of the globe. This result does not imply that terrestrial plates themselves trigger the switch over of the magnetic field. Instead, it establishes that although the reversal phenomenon takes place, in fine, within Earth's liquid core, it is nevertheless sensitive to what happens outside the core and more specifically in Earth's mantle.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111021084539.htm

New research could help explain complex behaviour observed by scientist's in Earth's inner core.

New research could help explain complex behaviour observed by scientist's in Earth's inner core.

The study, by an international team of researchers from Leeds, London and California, shows that rocks could be circulating in the inner core which may explain the unusual behaviour of seismic waves passing through it.

http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=1402&cookieConsent=A

Earth's magnetic field could flip within a human lifetime.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141014170841.htm

In 1964, irregular submarine topography north of Oahu and Molokai was identified in newly available maps of the sea floor made by the U.S. Navy. James Moore, then Scientist-in-Charge at the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, suggested that this odd bathymetry might reflect massive landslides originating from those islands. Moores interpretation was disputed for more than 20 years until comprehensive mapping of the sea floor around the entire state of Hawaii was completed in the late 1980s. It turned out that Moore was right. Large even catastrophic submarine landslide structures litter the sea floor around the Hawaiian Islands. In fact, 17 major landslides have been identified off the shores of the main Hawaiian Islands. Fortunately, these slides are exceedingly rare occurring, on average, only once every 350,000 years. The largest landslides constitute significant portions of the islands from which they originated. Imagine if 10 percent of one of the islands suddenly collapsed into the ocean. Such an event would displace a huge amount of water and cause a large tsunami.

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/when-the-hawaii-islands-collapse-and-fall-apart-in-landslides/

In the typical textbook picture, volcanoes, such as those that are forming the Hawaiian islands, erupt when magma gushes out as narrow jets from deep inside Earth. But that picture is wrong, according to a new study from researchers at Caltech and the University of Miami in Florida.

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-09-textbook-theory-volcanoes-wrong.html

Lord Kelvins name is associated with the laws of thermodynamics and the cooling Earth hypothesis. The widely accepted mantle plume conjecture has been justified by experiments and calculations that violate the laws of thermodynamics for an isolated cooling planet. Hotspots such as Hawaii, Samoa, Iceland, and Yellowstone are due to a thermal bump in the shallow mantle, a consequence of the cooling of the Earth. They are not due to ∼100- to 200-km-wide tubes extending upward from fixed points near the Earths core. Seismic imaging shows that features associated with hotspots are thousands of kilometers across, and inferred ascent rates are low. Plate tectonic-induced updrafts and a cooling planet explain hotspots and the volcanoes at oceanic ridges.

http://m.pnas.org/content/111/41/E4298.abstract

Edited by courageoftheweak

---

I have long supported the concept that petroleum is primarily abiotic – the result of geochemical processes and not result of the ancient plant forests. It does not take multiple PhD’s in petroleum or geology to consider the likelihood of this. There are also plausible explanations of vast deposits of oil having space origins, how these come to so deep under the crust, has yet to be explained satisfactorily in my opinion.

Recently, some have considered that materials originating “out in space” contribute water to the Earth’s atmosphere. Now there is discussion over the potential volume of water that is bound into the minerals of the Earth’s lithosphere.

This earth-origin water can be suddenly released as steam or can be released slowly enough to form liquid reservoirs deep underground.

Three things I find most interesting from this article:

A: it suggests how the planetary corpus is the most likely source of the oceans;

B: that this water-in-rock can be a factor in the future planetary-wide volcanism. Where there is a great deal of mineral-bound water that is heated to magma, surface eruptions tend to the most violent. When water is heated to high temperatures and is kept under the pressure, the result is the build-up of enormous kinetic potential; and

C: underground reservoirs of water can also be thrust upwards due to crustal fracturing, thus becomes an additional source of global flooding during major earth earthchanges. This has been suggested in some tales of the ancient floods and the ancient “gods”.

I find it more than a little “interesting” that various translations of some of the earliest writings describing the ancient global floods refer to water coming from under the earth.

http://www.pfcn.net/bulletins/final%20call-appendix-science-7.pdf

---

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8474/20140613/earth-houses-400-miles-of-ocean-who-knew.htm

By Jim Algar, Tech Times | June 13, 2:20 PM

A reservoir of water lying deep under the Earth's surface may contain triple the volume of every one the world's oceans and may even be the "wellspring" source of them, U.S. researchers say.

Although not in a liquid form most familiar to all of us -- it is instead bound within rocks deep in the Earth's mantle -- it likely represents the largest reservoir of water on Earth, scientists at the University of New Mexico and Northwestern University say.

Writing in the journal Science, they report finding pockets of melted magma 400 miles underneath the North American continent that are likely signatures that water exists at those depths.

Scientists have long questioned whether the mantle, the rocky, hot layer between the Earth's crust and its core, might contain water bound up and trapped within rare minerals.

The new discovery is evidence water can be transported from the surface of the Earth to great depth by plate tectonics, the movement of continents and plates over the Earth's surface.

"Geological processes on the Earth's surface, such as earthquakes or erupting volcanoes, are an expression of what is going on inside the Earth, out of our sight," says geophysicist and study co-author Steve Jacobsen at Northwestern. "I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-Earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet."

Movement and partial melting of rocks in the mantle's transition zone -- a region between the mantle's lower and upper layers from around 250 to 400 miles deep -- could allow water to become tightly bound to the minerals there, the researchers said.

If the surface water the Earth possesses today came from such degassing of molten rock, the researchers say, that's in contrast to the theory held by some scientists that water came to a young Earth by way of large, icy comets.

It is of course the existence of liquid water on the surface of the Earth that makes our planet habitable and capable of supporting life, which is why its origin is of such interest to science.

---

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-evidence-oceans-deep-earth.html%23jCp

Northwestern geophysicist Steve Jacobsen and University of New Mexico seismologist Brandon Schmandt have found deep pockets of magma located about 400 miles beneath North America, a likely signature of the presence of water at these depths. The discovery suggests water from the Earth's surface can be driven to such great depths by plate tectonics, eventually causing partial melting of the rocks found deep in the mantle.

"Geological processes on the Earth's surface, such as earthquakes or erupting volcanoes, are an expression of what is going on inside the Earth, out of our sight," said Jacobsen, a co-author of the paper. "I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-Earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet. Scientists have been looking for this missing deep water for decades."

Jacobsen's and Schmandt's findings converged to produce evidence that melting may occur about 400 miles deep in the Earth. H2O stored in mantle rocks, such as those containing the mineral ringwoodite, likely is the key to the process, the researchers said. Melting of rock at this depth is remarkable because most melting in the mantle occurs much shallower, in the upper 50 miles," said Schmandt, a co-author of the paper. "If there is a substantial amount of H2O in the transition zone, then some melting should take place in areas where there is flow into the lower mantle, and that is consistent with what we found."

The melting the researchers have detected is called dehydration melting. Rocks in the transition zone can hold a lot of H2O, but rocks in the top of the lower mantle can hold almost none. The water contained within ringwoodite in the transition zone is forced out when it goes deeper (into the lower mantle) and forms a higher-pressure mineral called silicate perovskite, which cannot absorb the water. This causes the rock at the boundary between the transition zone and lower mantle to partially melt.

---

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-ocean-beneath-feet.html%23inlRlv

Scientists at the University of Liverpool have shown that deep sea fault zones could transport much larger amounts of water from the Earth's oceans to the upper mantle than previously thought.

Seismologists at Liverpool have estimated that over the age of the Earth, the Japan subduction zone alone could transport the equivalent of up to three and a half times the water of all the Earth's oceans to its mantle.

Water is carried to the mantle by deep sea fault zones which penetrate the oceanic plate as it bends into the subduction zone. Subduction, where an oceanic tectonic plate is forced beneath another plate, causes large earthquakes such as the recent Tohoku earthquake, as well as many earthquakes that occur hundreds of kilometers below the Earth's surface.

Using seismic modelling techniques the researchers analysed earthquakes which occurred more than 100 km below the Earth's surface in the Wadati-Benioff zone, a plane of Earthquakes that occur in the oceanic plate as it sinks deep into the mantle. Analysis of the seismic waves from these earthquakes shows that they occurred on 1 - 2 km wide fault zones with low seismic velocities. Seismic waves travel slower in these fault zones than in the rest of the subducting plate because the sea water that percolated through the faults reacted with the oceanic rocks to form serpentinite – a mineral that contains water.

Some of the water carried to the mantle by these hydrated fault zones is released as the tectonic plate heats up. This water causes the mantle material to melt, causing volcanoes above the subduction zone such as those that form the Pacific 'ring of fire'. Some water is transported deeper into the mantle, and is stored in the deep Earth.

"It has been known for a long time that subducting plates carry oceanic water to the mantle," said Tom Garth, a PhD student in the Earthquake Seismology research group led by Professor Rietbrock. "This water causes melting in the mantle, which leads to arc releasing some of the water back into the atmosphere. Part of the subducted water however is carried deeper into the mantle and may be stored there.

"We found that fault zones that form in the deep oceanic trench offshore Northern Japan persist to depths of up to 150 km. These hydrated fault zones can carry large amounts of water, suggesting that subduction zones carry much more water from the ocean down to the mantle than has previously been suggested. This supports the theory that there are large amounts of water stored deep in the Earth.

Understanding how much water is delivered to the mantle contributes to our knowledge of how the mantle convects and how it melts. This is important to understanding how plate tectonics began and how the continental crust was formed.

---

Trying to work oUt if ABC are doing satirical news now.. .??

^ I laughed when I read this in the story....maybe I can get a gig consulting...lol

World leaders, scientists and media experts are attending the summit which features forums on the future of renewable energy, zombie apocalypse preparedness and the future of money.