The Corroboree
sc001

Plant ID - Phalaris arundinacea Picta?

Question

can anyone confirm if this is Phalaris arundinacea picta? can anyone also confirm that this does contain DMT and how much? i have researched but as there is a a vriety of Phalaris arundinacea but i culdnt find the (picta) type, i only noticed this as i saw a picture of it on the shamans australia website so im assuming it does. is it worth while source?

post-11591-0-69081000-1339315422_thumb.j

post-11591-0-69081000-1339315422_thumb.jpg

post-11591-0-69081000-1339315422_thumb.jpg

21 answers to this question

so far i know 3 diffrent names of this plant and all the pictures look identical to eachother. If you google the name i posted it would come up with same looking plant. Also if you look at the shaman australia plants they have this plant and looks identical to wat you posted but they call it Phalaris arundinacea Picta. so annoying how can the same plant have 10 diffrent names?

so far i know 3 diffrent names of this plant and all the pictures look identical to eachother. If you google the name i posted it would come up with same looking plant. Also if you look at the shaman australia plants they have this plant and looks identical to wat you posted but they call it Phalaris arundinacea Picta. so annoying how can the same plant have 10 diffrent names?

Very easily lol just look at trich's

• Like 1

Its not annoying, because their different plants :) picta grows like phalaris, if you have a look through google images its obvious its a different plant. The image you showed has the same sort of leaf style, maybe a bit darker. But if you look at how they grow, their completely different. It grows nothing like phalaris

phalaris_arundinacea_reed_canary_grass_picta_24-06-07.jpg

And as PH mentioned, nice one on the spice content ;) Look a bit harder when your trying to identify bud, seek and you shall find

• Like 2

Agree with GT and PH. Sometimes it taks a while to develop an eye for these things - but trust me, what you have is not Phalaris arundinacea Picta.

• Like 1

Its not annoying, because their different plants :) picta grows like phalaris, if you have a look through google images its obvious its a different plant. The image you showed has the same sort of leaf style, maybe a bit darker. But if you look at how they grow, their completely different. It grows nothing like phalaris

a>

And as PH mentioned, nice one on the spice content ;) Look a bit harder when your trying to identify bud, seek and you shall find

I see :worship:

can anyone confirm if this is Phalaris arundinacea picta?

i think your plant is the common spider plant, Chlorophytum comosum.

Agreed re: spider plant. You can confirm this sc001, by looking at the root system of your plant in question. The spider plant has rhizomes like this....see pic below.

post-7430-0-62187800-1339413358_thumb.jp

:)

fleshy rhizome.jpg

fleshy rhizome.jpg

yeh thanks for the replies, the hunt goes on. anyone know where in south australia dmt containing plants can be found?

Use The Search Engine (UTSE).

Do you want to grow these plants or are you trying to find them?

I would suggest that you identify some species that will grow in your area, purchase the seeds/plants, and go from there.

• Like 1

Use The Search Engine (UTSE).

Do you want to grow these plants or are you trying to find them?

I would suggest that you identify some species that will grow in your area, purchase the seeds/plants, and go from there.

im doing both right now looking and growing.

im trying to grow Banisteriopsis caapi Plant, Phalaris arundinacea, Calea zacatechichi.

although the Banisteriopsis caapi is drying up and looks to be diyng slowly maybe it needs a humidity bag not sure

topicstarter you are doing fine, just give it a lil more time.

i know this excitement, hunting for plants, but with patience all will unfold, for all the seekers.

• Like 1

topicstarter you are doing fine, just give it a lil more time.

i know this excitement, hunting for plants, but with patience all will unfold, for all the seekers.

well i hope so :wink:

what do you reckon about the Banisteriopsis caapi Plant as its drying and seems to be dying after 4-5 days, as i remember it came with a humidity bag, as its a south american plant that grows in humid areas? should i get a humidity bag?

yep, use a dome, under your circumstances.

but we are sidetraking here badly, for horticultural advice, you have to use the main plant forum.

you are better of, asking those questions there.

• Like 1

yep, use a dome, under your circumstances.

but we are sidetraking here badly, for horticultural advice, you have to use the main plant forum.

you are better of, asking those questions there.

what exactly is a dome as im new to this? whatever i put on it does it need holes so air can still travel through?

i thought just a plastic bag over it would do?

also which search engine should i use?

Edited by sc001

Google or the one on this forum

Get a bigger bag for the caapi if you can or invest in an actual small humidity tent/dome. That size will be ok for a while but your caapi wont stay that small for very long. Crazy Clarks sell cheapo 2Mx1mx50cm humidity tents for like $25 one of these could house your caapi and several other tropical loving plants. If it is still struggling to keep the moisture and warmth i would advise you to consider having the bag extend right down and just burping it a couple of times a day to help keep the humidity right up there.

C. comosum definitely although not the common cultivar the common cultivar is shown in amazonians post the one shown in yours has much more vibrant colors, thicker more straplike leaves and is typically sold for double the price. which would also make is harder to confirm that it is infact c. comosum

Phalaris has much thinner blades that are typically arranged folding off a small vertical stem like thing. whereas c. comosum grows form a single central point at ground level aside from when pups are thrown.

Plant identification took me a while to slowly get the hang of but eventually you will learn which sites are reputable for their identification images and which aren't. Typically just flipping through google images will give you so many mixed results its not funny whereas if you were to specifically look up wattles on World Wide Wattle or specifically look up Phalaris on a government site declaring it as a weed you are much more likely to get a legit picture

Edited by DarkSpark

C. comosum definitely although not the common cultivar the common cultivar is shown in amazonians post the one shown in yours has much more vibrant colors, thicker more straplike leaves and is typically sold for double the price. which would also make is harder to confirm that it is infact c. comosum

I reckon it's Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata'

I reckon it's Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata'

certainly looks the part :) explains the leaves being more succulenty than any of my c. comosum, i thought something didnt quite mesh but as usual was to lazy to look into it xD

Chlorophytum for sure

flower stalk is wrong

Edited by LokStok