The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

My Piper is sick

Hey guys,

I went and checked on my Piper (pretty sure Auritum) the other day and I noticed many of the leaves have brown veins. I don't have a picture sorry. The brown colour is only on the veins and very sharp.

It's planted in a very shady area into the soil. The soil is good draining mix on top of clay, with pine bark mulch.

Any ideas on what this might be? My feeling is either frost damage, or a nutrient problem. A Salvia D (legal in my location) is growing in the same spot also in the soil without any brown veins (just a bit slow at this time of year).

Thanks. :)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/530/

According to the reports there it can take it down to -12!!

I had always thought it was a much more tender plant.

People saying it dies back for them in Winter.

The only damage I have seen on the Piper species I have (99% sure is P. auritum) is from when changing environments and the leaves start to turn brown and dry if there isn't enough humidity.

You could take some root cuttings etc if it looks like it's gonna cark it.

You didn't happen to get your's off trademe?

is it the new growth or the old growth is changing too? i see many Piper plants get brown veins in the new(er) growth, even on full sized leaves sometimes.

I think its the new growth only. The old growth I think might just be a bit on the pale side. I'll probably give it some dilute liquid fertilizer in a few weeks (even though it's winter) just incase it's caused by a deficiency.

And centipede, I didn't get mine from trademe. There's a tiny nursery up north that I got it from (just selling tropical plants in general). But the other day, I came across a huge 3m tall Piper (looks like your one) growing near uni. I might take some cuttings of that. Without being certain, I think mine had slightly rounder leaf tips than yours.

Thanks for the help so far. :)

I had one years ago, I bought it from a shonky seller at a local flea market.

The bastard told me it was Kava, but it turned out to be a Piper auritum. Miine went dark around the petioles a few times in winter, it didn't seem to worry it though.