The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Queensland cacti and succulent society show 2012 pics

OK went and had a look about this morning some awesome stuff there, I spent too much but as always could have spent a heap more. Some really nice bits and pieces. I will attach a link to an album I made, but will post some of the cooler pics here. Also some pics of the Cacti at the Botanical gardens at Mt Cootha (where it was held.)

Sorry for some of the pics the light was really ordinary to take pics.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/stillmanz/Queensland%20cacti%20and%20succulent%20show%202012/

Ok some stand outs by members

DSCF2368.jpg

DSCF2367.jpg

DSCF2366.jpg

DSCF2372.jpg

DSCF2376.jpg

DSCF2390.jpg

some of the stuff for sale

A catput medusa

DSCF2353.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

DSCF2358.jpg

and what I got

DSCF2426.jpg

Pretty cool heaps more stuff I kind of just took pics of what I like lol. But check the photobucket link as there are a heap more pics worth having a look at.

• Like 6

is that a different type of TBM in the botom pic?

I don't know but thats why I bought it, I have a few that don't seem to have many spines and they seem to grow heaps taller/ longer. WHenever I see a tbm I buy it in the hope of getting the "other type" I believe the true tall TBM isn't in OZ or at least not that I am aware. I even grafted a an end piece with no spines onto some dragon fruit in the hope of growing a penis column lol.

Nice pics Stillman. I should get along to my local show when it comes about, looks like some really nice plants for sale. I have a feeling I would come home dead broke though haha

a pic of the TBM I bought

DSCF2434.jpg

• Like 1

10 buck man best buy for the day I reckon.

I have a TBM that is starting to grow that way and, I must also say that the rooted section is also badly scarred like your one.

Here is a poor quality pic to compare to the TBM I have,

post-7855-0-91043000-1339227298_thumb.jp

I very much hope mine will turn out like the one you've got there. and a great score for $10

post-7855-0-91043000-1339227298_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-91043000-1339227298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the other pup has the nicest blue to it, I have a few different specimens bought from wherver whenever I saw them , there is a lot of unusual growth. I just googled TBM and man just in Australia there are a lot of cultivars of the shorter form. Which makes sense I guess as there are a few bridgesii clones getting about. With anyluck the peice will keep growing.

Looks like it was a good day - I'm a bit jealous.

What's the columnar in the 2nd pic from the bottom?

Pachycereus marginatus I think, nice piece he wanted $40 dollars I have seen 2o cm cuts sell for $60 on ebay

Bugger.. think I may have to drop everything tomorrow and go to this! Looks excellent! Any areas in particular worth checking out?

Well they had very diverse Asytrophytum, Aracarparcus sp and alot of Mesemb slow growers and Suedolithops. Its always a bit over welming really, you kinda have to go and do a run through buy up go put it in the car then do another run through and see what you missed lol. The people who run it are real friendly but I joined as a member and they gave me a heap of books and list of people who are having open gardens and stuff. I think I will spend a few days off checking out some private collections as it warms up.

Edited by Stillman

I went to this last year, you can tell a lot of love and attention has gone into these cacti. I remember noticing the distinct lack of trichocereus species; other than the TBM, where there many this year? Is this because they are not considered beautiful enough by cacti growers, or because they don't want to associate with 'drugs man!'?

From my understanding they avoid Trichocereus but I am not sure why?

I read that it was illegal to keep cacti in Queensland out side of a greenhouse in the 70's for fear of them becoming pests lol.

In my experience from meeting a few of the bigger collectors in the group, they have trichs but do not focus on them, and rarely bother propagating and selling them other than the more interesting monstrose etc. its kind of weird though because they certainly collect column cacti you would think the fact trichs grow so fast there must be some monsters out there.

I think its more the space issue for a lot of growers Kalika, you can fit a lot more Mamms & Astro's into a small cactus house than 20' giants.

Like most things Tricho's time has come & gone and will come again, the popularity of these things go's in cycles. I was talking to one of the semi commercial growers at the last meeting & he was saying he hardly sells cacti at all anymore, most ppl want succulents, Aloes, Crassula, Mesembs etc.

A lot of members do have a Trich or two at home but they certainly aren't highly sort after by most of the members.

And welcome aboard Stillman

That fear is still lingering Stillman. The DPI finds one patch of Acanthocereus tetragonus in central Qld so they declare the entire genus :BANGHEAD2:

I read that it was illegal to keep cacti in Queensland out side of a greenhouse in the 70's for fear of them becoming pests lol.

attack of the killer cacti in the sunshine state, would make a good 1950's scifi movie!

yeah I can see how the large size of columnar trichs would be a limitation, but what about peyote? I guess I find it hard to understand how some people could not be obsessed with cacti that have been used by humans for thousands of years!

• Like 1

Yeah the stuff of C grade movies indeed LOL

Although i can see their point, when you have more & more properties being run as huge aggregations by a single manager there isnt anyone to chip weeds while they are out checking fences & watering points so anything with any weed potential is unwelcome. And of course cacti are fire proof dont ya know.

There was more than a few members who had peyote in their collections back in the day, but of course all those 40 & 50 year old plants were disposed off when the grubbyment in their wisdom banned them to prevent outlaw biker gangs from farming hundreds of acres of Lophs to make cheap mesc :scratchhead:

• Like 2

ah yeah forgot about the bikers and that they are illegal in QLD

OFF topic but clubs are legal in QLD its just when idiots from the gold coast start shooting grannys in shopping centres it makes it hard for the rest.

Edited by Stillman

I wasn't suggesting that the clubs were illegal, merely that the pollies like to use scare tactics in their propaganda to justify the BS laws that they lump us with. And face it, the clubs are a popular and easy target.

Scare the people into believing what they are doing is for the public good, and that it will make a difference in combating existing crimes when in actual fact all they are doing is criminalizing otherwise perfectly harmless activities for political gain & brownie points in the mass media.

Sorry end of rant :blush:

Edited by shortly
  • Like 2