The Corroboree

For people interested in hydroponics or more generally for those who always wanted to grow their own basil, parsley, etc. without messy and expansive pots, here is an interesting little project:

http://www.windowfarms.org

It won't cost you much to set up and be customised to look really good I think. A wonderfull project for anyone living in a (small) unit. I am sure students and the likes will adhere to the concept.

• Like 5

nice concept and design. I can see it appealing to the minimalist aesthetic of inner city apartments etc. I like soil but I guess hydroponics has its place.

I see it was a kickstarter project, and the first batch is already sold out (and only available in the USA). might be fun to try and make something similar ourselves?

when we lived in a smallish place , we made a vertical garden using nothing more than some plastic 1.25 coke bottles, some plastic tubing, clip ties and pvc tubing . the bottles all sit in a 'type' of array, eg one over the top of the other-allowing enough space for your herbs to grow and flower(proly 30 -40 cms above each other). you cut the bottom of each one, invert it so the pouring end is now dripping the feeding solution directly into the bottle directly beneath it and so on. a tub at the bottom contains an aquarium pump which recirculates the solution to the top bottle in your array and the feeding process slowly starts dripping again to start the cycle.i'm sure theres info on vertical gardens on pootube.Anyways, it's a real handy way to recycle and grow.. ahh here we are............pretty much like this guy

suppose you could use a timer for on/ off purposes so it 'auto feeds' at regular intervals etc and you just tweak it to suit your needs once you get tha hang ov it. oh we used the scoria/volcanic, little red rocks for a grow medium and a quick/clean/flush at the end of each grow kept the herbage nice and vigorous

• Like 2

that looks cool, I was looking at this on a bigger scale for strawberries a few years ago ( pvc pipe ie vertical take on nfl hydro system.), The only thing I would be cautious of is the size of the reservoir. In such a small vessel ph etc good shift really quick.

I am going to build one at home to start with. The idea is to get a feel for it so that my wife can make a couple of them in her classroom. She's got 4 years old kids who will be thrilled!! Being vertical, everyone can see the plants at the same time while she explains. I also find it really good to show the kids how easy and practical it is to grow plants with a few plastic bottles, and virtually no space...

I was looking into this few years ago to only realize how stupid it is to spend so much energy to keep that constant flow. Why being so lazy and use energy? Just use the same design and water your plants, much ecofriendlier.

• Like 1

The design isn't for a constant flow. But I get where you are coming from, I would prefer a no power set up. I don't think the wee aquarium pumps are too much of a power drain but some of them are noisy.

I'm sure the automated system would be great for people who aren't able to water every day. Or who are too lazy :P

It says on the site that a 15 minute flood every hour is plenty.

The design isn't for a constant flow. But I get where you are coming from, I would prefer a no power set up. I don't think the wee aquarium pumps are too much of a power drain but some of them are noisy.

I'm sure the automated system would be great for people who aren't able to water every day. Or who are too lazy :P

It says on the site that a 15 minute flood every hour is plenty.

That's right air pumps use about 3 to 5W, so that's negligeable.

Also, this system is aimed at people who do not grow anything because it is too much effort. I'd rather have people using that little more energy but at least getting to grow their own stuff. You've got to start somewhere and I think the unusual design can draw some interest from people without a green thumb.

I wouldn't mind one of these. It will really look good on my balcony window.