The Corroboree
incognito

What are your ethnic origins?

My great great grand father was a whaler from Chesapeake bay in America who fell in love with a black women which was exactly accepted in those days so they gapped it over to New Zealand some time in the 1800's. Both of them must have been amazingly athletic people because everyone on that side in my extended family are super lean, ripped as, and the shortest persons 6'1"

Im half german, half french with parts of my family still living there. Actually, the place i live is pretty close to france and i can get there to shop whenever i need something i dont get here. Pretty cool as you get the best of both worlds. They make some pretty good bread. :wink:

• Like 1

I was born in South Africa. One of my parents came straight from England, and the other was half British South African and half something else (my guess is greek).

Im half german, half french with parts of my family still living there. Actually, the place i live is pretty close to france and i can get there to shop whenever i need something i dont get here. Pretty cool as you get the best of both worlds. They make some pretty good bread. :wink:

I thought German people were known for their bread. I know Germany has over 400 registerd varieties. (sometimes I watch Duetsche Welle)

woof - german breads are very rustic and often revolve around sourdough and rye. french breads are much lighter and focus more on white & fluffy wheat, and also on adding flavours [eg herbs].

• Like 1

I don't like German bread too much, Belgian and Dutch bread are my favorite. Portuguese are good in making bread aswell. French baguette isn't that amazing sadly enough, I prefer the Belgian or Portugese version.

English, Irish, Scottish, Spanish & Nunga

Vietnamese bread is the best taught by the french I believe.

• Like 1

Both my parents are Scottish .but I was born and raised here. My dad sent a DNA swab off a few years back and it was found his bloodline went all the way back to the "Picts" .

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1

1st gen Australian from English to the power of two, with dash of French and Irish for good measure.

Mum is English and Dad is Australian. Born and raised in Australia.

I really should learn more about my familys history.

OPP, your posts raises a valid point. when will 'australian' be a valid ethnic origin? with the concept of 'race' no longer considered legitimate, can all homo sapiens not qualify to identify with a certain beginings?

• Like 2

If it gonna get all esoteric on our asses start ur own thread ;)

• Like 2

OPP, your posts raises a valid point. when will 'australian' be a valid ethnic origin? with the concept of 'race' no longer considered legitimate, can all homo sapiens not qualify to identify with a certain beginings?

It's a weird one. I certainly wasn't born Australian, I have no family here, and I don't consider myself culturally Australian. But neither do I think of myself as English, even though I still have the passport which says so and the rest of my family certainly do. But I don't even think in those terms, it's kind of interesting from a genetic heritage point of view, but culture is such a huge sham that I try to ignore it as much as possible. I love Australia the land and the ecology, people I'm not that fussed about, and most of the Australian culture sucks big time - apart from the underground stuff which is always more fun.

The only true Australians in my world view are the indigenous people, but increasingly that is becoming more difficult to determine as how much indigenous blood do you need - if you need it at all! - to be considered indigenous? It's just not important though, apart from as a legal entity, I reckon.

Sorry incog couldn't resist it ;)

I don't consider myself English even though I have an English passport.

I consider myself Australian and I guess thats because I was raised in this country with "Australian" beliefs and surrounded by "Australian" culture and other "Australians".

• Like 1

woof - german breads are very rustic and often revolve around sourdough and rye. french breads are much lighter and focus more on white & fluffy wheat, and also on adding flavours [eg herbs].

That is what I like about the German breads,... the rustic and the rye elements. Havent had many sourdough breads. We are usually limited in that dept over here. The dutchies gravetate into the rustic and heavily grained breads as well..

Foggiano, from Foggia. The spur on the boot peninsula of what is now called Italia.

short, hairy and scottish, raising my kids as proud earthlings

100% Abya Yalan

But to be more precise I'm one of the forums mutts :P

English, irish, scottish, italian, cherokee, and likely other bits and pieces from europe.

What that means is I have strange hobbies (english), I love starchy foods (italian), too many drinks come after the first (irish), I know who plays the bagpipes best (scottish :P), and I have a tendency to go off into the spirit world for healing (cherokee)

The anglo-saxon bit did give me a cool name at least, some day near retirement I might open a shop with it

"L☮veJ :) y"

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 1

I guess it all started when White meet Bread :P

Aussie back to the 1st fleet & was actualy one of the few paying fares on my Dads side & my Mums Mum & Dad were scottish & irish respectively both came here at the age of 5. So yeah English, Irish, Scottish.

Edited by shruman

post script

when the gingerbread man met his rye there was sourfloss amongst the village.

in retaliation they were forced to emigrate on the good ship lollipop.

when the moon forced the tides to rise, an almighty kafuffle wind blusterd their vessel towards land.

the man got off and sent forth for his mate. she came they fucked and here we are, ozzies.

It's not too clear, but it seems likely my ethnic origins lie in Homo heidelbergensis, with H. ergaster before that and H. erectus even earlier. Of course, if you trace my family tree even further back - and at ~ 3.5 billions years my family has a formidably extensive tree - you get to LUCA. I know, it seems a little far-fetched, that I would actually have family ties to LUCA, with that individual being so famous and pivotal in the advent of life on this planet and all, but there you go. Guess that makes me royalty. :wink:

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

I suppose you could claim to have an Australian ethnic origin from an ideological standpoint. But you can’t really claim it from a scientific perspective unless your aboriginal, since we come from all over the world and there’s no DNA structure that defines a non-aboriginal Australian.

Btw, both of my mother’s parents have a Scottish heritage, but I’m pretty sure my mum was abducted by extraterrestrials and artificially impregnated with Nordic alien genetics, which is where I came from.

i was born in a land called australia. as far as "ethnic origins" go i consider us all to be humans, we're all more similar than we care to recognise